FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Proposed Regulations (Sebago included)  (Read 5072 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: New Proposed Regulations (Sebago included)
« Reply #15 on: Aug 02, 2018, 07:55 AM »
That's another part of the problem, everyone "hears" they aren't very good eating.

I heard the same thing then one of my buddies said "Nonsense!" and cooked me up a nice 6 lb Lake Richardson togue I brought him, because he said he liked them. I was amazed at how good it was. Pan fried, nothing done any more special than any other fish. Not smoked or deep fried. It's a great eating fish.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #16 on: Aug 02, 2018, 07:57 AM »
I heard the same thing then one of my buddies said "Nonsense!" and cooked me up a nice 6 lb Lake Richardson togue I brought him, because he said he liked them. I was amazed at how good it was. Pan fried, nothing done any more special than any other fish. Not smoked or deep fried. It's a great eating fish.

Where do you live? I’ll drop off a bag full of em any time you like.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2018, 08:02 AM »

I caught my first Laker in Winni this past ice season and brought it home for the smoker. Brined it first for a day and then smoked it over cherry wood. The old man and little guy loved it and I barely had any left. I am looking forward to another ice season up there, that's for sure.
Wicked Wec

stguy

« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2018, 08:11 AM »
I give some to a friend that smokes them and makes a chip dip out of them.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2018, 08:28 AM »
I give some to a friend that smokes them and makes a chip dip out of them.

Yep. All trout species, bluefish and mackerel are all great for a smoked pate'.
Wicked Wec

stguy

« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Yep. All trout species, bluefish and mackerel are all great for a smoked pate'.

I think if I called his chip dip pate', he'd cut a corner off of my man card.

zwiggles

« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2018, 09:10 AM »
If you remove the gills and the other nasties, then wrap the whole fish in foil and add whatever seasoning you like they’re not bad at all. Meat peels off and for whatever reason it’s less oily. I’ve done lemon/butter and bbq sauce this way and it was actually pretty good. I don’t like them baked, but might try frying them.

mudchuck

« Reply #22 on: Aug 02, 2018, 09:49 AM »
Maybe try grilling a fillet with skin on and brush with teriyaki sauce, you won't regret it!

seamonkey84

« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2018, 11:20 AM »
I’ll try and do my part then, I’m sure someone in my family will like it either way. I don’t get to hit the big lake very often since My own boat is for ponds and small waters. When I do it’s  with my friend in his boat. I’m hoping to also get out there more often on the ice, only tried three times last season.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

MarkNFish

« Reply #24 on: Aug 03, 2018, 06:01 AM »
That's another part of the problem, everyone "hears" they aren't very good eating.

I would rather eat the lake trout pan fried or baked in foil than the salmon, I find the salmon kind of bland.

Agreed.  Chunk the fillets into 1" cubes; boil in Sprite until they float; and sauté them in butter and lemon juice...poor man's lobster. 

JDK

« Reply #25 on: Aug 03, 2018, 12:52 PM »
The Fish River Chain proposals are interesting.

# SAND

gamefisher

« Reply #26 on: Aug 03, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Salmosebago- you still out there buying this is all about salmon management?😁

fishless12

« Reply #27 on: Aug 04, 2018, 02:03 AM »
In terms of eating togue, or any fish, bleeding them as soon as you catch them goes a long way for flavor and meat quality.

seamonkey84

« Reply #28 on: Aug 04, 2018, 04:44 AM »
In terms of eating togue, or any fish, bleeding them as soon as you catch them goes a long way for flavor and meat quality.

That is a good point to mention. I do that with just about every fish I keep. A quick bonk/stab to the head (mandatory in Maine to kill immediately anyway) then cut the gills and dunk them in water till they bleed out before puting them in ice. That also prevents the issue of the fish kicking ice everywhere when put in the cooler.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #29 on: Aug 04, 2018, 09:32 AM »

Seems like they would be as good as a brook trout as they are closely related right? Both technically a char.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.