FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Proposed Regulations (Sebago included)  (Read 5081 times)

stguy

Re: New Proposed Regulations (Sebago included)
« Reply #30 on: Sep 01, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Agreed.  Chunk the fillets into 1" cubes; boil in Sprite until they float; and sauté them in butter and lemon juice...poor man's lobster.

So I did the boil in sprite thing but then I deep fried them in a beer batter and it was very good...

woodchip1

« Reply #31 on: Sep 04, 2018, 07:46 AM »
The best eating are in the slot limit. That's why I stay away from Sebago.  They over look the fishermen that eat their catch . They say too many togue in the lake So they let the bigger ones with the capabilities of   producing more spawn stay. makes a lot of sense. 

MarkNFish

« Reply #32 on: Sep 04, 2018, 10:17 AM »
So I did the boil in sprite thing but then I deep fried them in a beer batter and it was very good...

I'll have to try that variation.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #33 on: Sep 04, 2018, 10:20 AM »
The best eating are in the slot limit. That's why I stay away from Sebago.  They over look the fishermen that eat their catch . They say too many togue in the lake So they let the bigger ones with the capabilities of   producing more spawn stay. makes a lot of sense.

Maine DIFW's research shows the biggest spawners are about 19" to 22", not the ones in the slot.

stguy

« Reply #34 on: Sep 04, 2018, 10:31 AM »

What makes the fish in the slot the best ones to eat?

If you would like some to eat Bob, I have about 10 pounds of fillets in my fridge from this weekend, I'd love to find more people to give it to.

And back on the original topic of this thread, I went to the hearing to hear all the debate on the slot limit and there wasn't any, in fact there was only 2 people there for the sebago part of it, and we went up together, maybe if it had been closer to Sebago there would have been more people????

I did get to learn that there are some folks very hell bent on protecting the heritage waters, there was some good discussion on that topic.

woodchip1

« Reply #35 on: Sep 08, 2018, 07:36 PM »
TightLinesMaine  You believe a 19" fish carries more spawn than a 28" fish ???????  Once a fish get at slot size or bigger they carry more heavy metals MERCURY ETC.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #36 on: Sep 08, 2018, 07:56 PM »
TightLinesMaine  You believe a 19" fish carries more spawn than a 28" fish ???????  Once a fish get at slot size or bigger they carry more heavy metals MERCURY ETC.

Sorry, I should've worded that better, what i meant is DIFW's research shows the highest frequency spawners are lake trout around 19" to 22".  I did not mean to imply a 19" female lake trout carries more eggs than a 28" lake trout.

"Mean length of spawning lake trout has varied very little
over the years, ranging from between 20.7 to 21.5 inches long."-DIFW

Hence why they have the slot in place, the DIFW is encouraging anglers to kill the togue under 23", as that size class are the ones that are observed spawning most frequently.

See for yourself to see what i mean; chart 10, on page 10 in link below:

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/fisheries-reports/2014/sebagolake.pdf

marabou

« Reply #37 on: Sep 08, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Did they clean a lot of fish out of the lake today?(Sebago)

stguy

« Reply #38 on: Sep 09, 2018, 03:02 AM »
Sorry, I should've worded that better, what i meant is DIFW's research shows the highest frequency spawners are lake trout around 19" to 22".  I did not mean to imply a 19" female lake trout carries more eggs than a 28" lake trout.

"Mean length of spawning lake trout has varied very little
over the years, ranging from between 20.7 to 21.5 inches long."-DIFW

Hence why they have the slot in place, the DIFW is encouraging anglers to kill the togue under 23", as that size class are the ones that are observed spawning most frequently.

See for yourself to see what i mean; chart 10, on page 10 in link below:

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/fisheries-reports/2014/sebagolake.pdf

We have been fishing some of the spawning grounds the couple weeks and according to our on the water research this information is accurate, we get very few fish with eggs over 23", 90% of them are under 23" and full of eggs. If we go out into the deeper water  90% of them are over 23"
and do not appear to be full of eggs.....this is not an ofishel scientific study, just us making an observation.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.