FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jboggey’s Sandy Pond  (Read 22088 times)

filetandrelease

Re: Jboggey’s Sandy Pond
« Reply #120 on: Oct 23, 2023, 03:43 PM »
Yo Freddy, As usual, thanks for the help my friend.
Anytime bud

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #121 on: Oct 23, 2023, 04:15 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Guess my days are numbered
In the boat for this season. I will be putting the boat to bed for the winter which brings about the eager anticipation of hard water fishing. I may get a couple more trips out. So with thoughts of fishing through the ice, dancing in my head, I am checking out my equipment and first on my list is getting the Nils cutting heads sharpened before the season starts. Yes I have 2 of them.
I will most likely be switching over to Iceshanty.com after this post , but felt it important enough to warn you to get your cutting heads sharpened in a timely manner prior to ice season.
For the last 6 seasons I have sent my cutting heads to Frank DeLuca,a master machinist who has refurbished my blades to a
“Like new” condition. Mr DeLuca’s address and Phone number is contained here-in:
Frank DeLuca
5382 Jentoft Road
Saginaw, Mn.  55779

Ph: 1-218-729-7941
Thank me later…….Boggey

filetandrelease

« Reply #122 on: Oct 23, 2023, 04:34 PM »

Frank is the man , he’s done several heads over the years with no complaints

62 & Done

« Reply #123 on: Oct 23, 2023, 05:14 PM »
Had mine done in April. At that point I was ready for a new season. Might need new batteries in my head lamp.

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #124 on: Nov 02, 2023, 10:46 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
I am again in that state of limbo twixt fishing from the boat and cutting holes in the ice. Put the boat and trailer up on blocks, covered and winterized it.

Not having much luck shore fishing. A few feeble attempts have left me more prone to raking leaves and winterizing the camp in anticipation of winters onslaught.

While I can’t say the Pond was very productive this summer, I did manage several trips to Henderson , Chaumont, Oneida, Cayuga and Clayton fishing holes to keep the freezer full of perch.

As my large progeny, neighbors and old fishing buds depend on an occasional bag of perch it has been incumbent of me to travel further from the hearth than usual to keep the larder full.

Add to that, the Pond was not too hospital for perch fishing this summer with extremely low water conditions as is the case even now, entering the winter months. I’m curious how this will translate to our fish stock for the coming ice season.

I guess I will have to be content restocking the jigs, finding some of the newest and greatest fishing lures, getting the Polaris tuned and ready for the ice and maybe just maybe look  at a new two man shanty. Ah well, the cycle renews itself again with a few new wrinkles every year. The joy of seeing old fishing friends and making new ones looms with fresh anticipation.

It’s time to put this thread to bed for the winter. Hope you will all join me over on Iceshanty.
Boggey

hinkydo

« Reply #125 on: Nov 03, 2023, 05:46 AM »
Glad to hear your still ticking Jboggey , I have been busy chasing and catching those tiger trout.
Don't know if you will see me on the ice this year.
God willing you catch a lot of perch on top of that hard water and be sure you have your Jesus shoes and stay on top.

hjnkydo  Fish ON

Mac Attack

« Reply #126 on: Nov 03, 2023, 07:25 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
I am again in that state of limbo twixt fishing from the boat and cutting holes in the ice. Put the boat and trailer up on blocks, covered and winterized it.

Not having much luck shore fishing. A few feeble attempts have left me more prone to raking leaves and winterizing the camp in anticipation of winters onslaught.

While I can’t say the Pond was very productive this summer, I did manage several trips to Henderson , Chaumont, Oneida, Cayuga and Clayton fishing holes to keep the freezer full of perch.

As my large progeny, neighbors and old fishing buds depend on an occasional bag of perch it has been incumbent of me to travel further from the hearth than usual to keep the larder full.

Add to that, the Pond was not too hospital for perch fishing this summer with extremely low water conditions as is the case even now, entering the winter months. I’m curious how this will translate to our fish stock for the coming ice season.

I guess I will have to be content restocking the jigs, finding some of the newest and greatest fishing lures, getting the Polaris tuned and ready for the ice and maybe just maybe look  at a new two man shanty. Ah well, the cycle renews itself again with a few new wrinkles every year. The joy of seeing old fishing friends and making new ones looms with fresh anticipation.

It’s time to put this thread to bed for the winter. Hope you will all join me over on Iceshanty.
Boggey

The bogmiester!

Glad to see you're humming like a Swiss watch.   ;)

Say hello to my pal Lance bud and have fun drilling holes.

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #127 on: Mar 16, 2024, 06:37 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Getting back to the Sandy Pond thread again after a shortened ice fishing season on the Pond. The Old Starcraft is waiting it’s turn at my boat mechanic before I can hit the open water.

That’s the problem with old things (boats and people) we need a little more maintenance and attention as we age. Hopefully, the Old Starcraft will stay tuned up for the whole summer this season.

My new knee isn’t the miracle I was expecting . Still, it’s no worse than before the replacement. Through the miracles of modern medicine and seven different pills in my pill box, the good Lord has granted me reasonable mobility to once again match wits with the dumb and not so dumb fish.

All that being said, I’ve managed a couple trips out to the locks and docks to do some shore fishing with varied results. I even managed to hitchhike a trip with my bud Dallas to fish in his boat on Cayuga. We did well.

Lastly, I borrowed my neighbors canoe out on the Pond the last two days and managed mixed results. Day one I kept 18 respectable perch. Day two, I was beset with those pesky pickerel. Caught more pickerel than perch. Also discovered muscles in my shoulder and neck I had not used in many moons.😵‍💫

All in all not a bad transition from ice to open water. Looking to do a little more hitchhiking with my old buds till the Starcraft is proven worthy.

The water level is extremely low on the Pond. The dredging crew is working daily to enhance the cut and the channels to get to the cut.

Boggey

Post Script: Take a look at the weather forecast for the next 10 days. Looks like a return to winter. Brrrrrr

hinkydo

« Reply #128 on: Mar 17, 2024, 08:08 AM »
Good to hear you still plan on fishing and a report is always good Jim.
I am Heading home from Florida this week so look out Perch.
Hope to see you out there on the soft water sometime.

hinkydo Fish ON

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #129 on: Mar 17, 2024, 10:17 AM »
Yo Rusty,
I’m sure we will be bumping into one another. I can always hear your voice on the water. Surely that is where the hot bite will be . You might want to wait a week before coming up. Cold and windy weather forecast.
Boggey

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #130 on: Mar 23, 2024, 06:03 AM »
I will trade you some of our "high" water for some of your "low". We had "skim" ice yesterday morning, and it looks like about 10" of snow this morning, I haven't been out to move it yet.
Glad you are getting some early boat time in and catching some fish. Pretty sure the Lund will set in the garage until the end of April.....h2l

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.