FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Our Governor is a JOKE  (Read 7486 times)

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
Re: Our Governor is a JOKE
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2020, 04:48 PM »
Jigger,  I guess people are sick of being stuck inside. But Its just temporary, Complaining and bitching during a global pandemic doesn't get you anywhere.

I find a lot of guys that just fish are either felons or federally prohibited persons from ever owning firearms, DUIs, Drugs, Assaults, you name it its crazy. They all walk among us..

I agree. We have to be hopeful that this will pass and life will return back to somewhat normal. Losing friends and love ones is not anything to take lightly.
I think stereotyping a lot of fishermen as felons is unjust. I believe the majority of thugs have never held a fishing rod.
 Guns that's another story.
Any political official no matter what party has their hands full right now and no matter what decisions they make, there will be positive and negative comments. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes knowing that the effects of their decisions could be deadly. :(

bogtrotter

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2020, 06:31 PM »
How long is "just temporary"?

Covid 19 belongs to the same family of viruses as the common cold, for which scientists have been searching for a cure for centuries without success.

Given that track records, I wouldn't hold my breath for them to come up with a cure anytime soon.

Absent any cure, we either prolong the current lock-down forever (clearly not sustainable) or merely prolong the inevitable.

With no cure, once the lock down ends, the virus starts to spread again, and the portion of the population that's susceptible to the virus sickens and dies, until - - hopefully - - those who survive enjoy "herd immunity."

Now consider the costs of the lock-down.

Start with the violation of civil rights involved - - undoubtedly the greatest in my 50+ year lifetime. 

Right now, with all the social distance requirements, you can effectively kiss your freedoms of assembly, speech and religion bye-bye. 

Ditto your right to earn a living if your particular occupation isn't fortunate enough to be recognized as an "essential" business by our State government.

Moreoer, all of this has all been done with the stroke of a Governor's pen - - without any of the checks and balances available in the usual political process.

But, OK, let's ignore all of the civil rights ramifications, and the obvious economic costs (with the loss of jobs, disintegration of supply chains and shortages of everything from meat to toilet paper ensuing), and just concentrate on the public health aspects.

The same lock down that was intended to stop (or, more realistically, slow down) Covid 19 deaths might just as easily INCREASE the number of deaths from other causes.

To give just two examples:

(1)  Since the lock down, people cannot see their doctors as easily as they could before - - my own routine physicals have been pushed back over three months - - so they don't get the treatment they need for no-Covid illnesses, and more of them die.

(2) The economic and psychological stresses of the lock down are likely to increase domestic abuse, substance abuse and suicide.

Some of the repercussions of the lock down might surprise you.

Even as a staunch opponent of the lock down, I assumed that, if nothing else, it would result in fewer motor vehicle related deaths. After all, with fewer people driving fewer miles on average, it "stood to reason" the number of motor vehicle deaths would drop. 

But, lo and behold, an article in today's paper explained how  motor vehicle fatalities have unexpectedly INCREASED because, since the roads have "opened up" due to the decrease in traffic, people have been driving more aggressively.

The very same law of unintended/unforeseen consequences could easily result in there being MORE net deaths due to the lock down (and, I might add, more of them at a younger age on average) than if there had never been a lock down in the first place.

zwiggles

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2020, 08:45 PM »
This ^^^^^

lowaccord66

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 05:32 AM »
How long is "just temporary"?

Covid 19 belongs to the same family of viruses as the common cold, for which scientists have been searching for a cure for centuries without success.

Given that track records, I wouldn't hold my breath for them to come up with a cure anytime soon.

Absent any cure, we either prolong the current lock-down forever (clearly not sustainable) or merely prolong the inevitable.

With no cure, once the lock down ends, the virus starts to spread again, and the portion of the population that's susceptible to the virus sickens and dies, until - - hopefully - - those who survive enjoy "herd immunity."

Now consider the costs of the lock-down.

Start with the violation of civil rights involved - - undoubtedly the greatest in my 50+ year lifetime. 

Right now, with all the social distance requirements, you can effectively kiss your freedoms of assembly, speech and religion bye-bye. 

Ditto your right to earn a living if your particular occupation isn't fortunate enough to be recognized as an "essential" business by our State government.

Moreoer, all of this has all been done with the stroke of a Governor's pen - - without any of the checks and balances available in the usual political process.

But, OK, let's ignore all of the civil rights ramifications, and the obvious economic costs (with the loss of jobs, disintegration of supply chains and shortages of everything from meat to toilet paper ensuing), and just concentrate on the public health aspects.

The same lock down that was intended to stop (or, more realistically, slow down) Covid 19 deaths might just as easily INCREASE the number of deaths from other causes.

To give just two examples:

(1)  Since the lock down, people cannot see their doctors as easily as they could before - - my own routine physicals have been pushed back over three months - - so they don't get the treatment they need for no-Covid illnesses, and more of them die.

(2) The economic and psychological stresses of the lock down are likely to increase domestic abuse, substance abuse and suicide.

Some of the repercussions of the lock down might surprise you.

Even as a staunch opponent of the lock down, I assumed that, if nothing else, it would result in fewer motor vehicle related deaths. After all, with fewer people driving fewer miles on average, it "stood to reason" the number of motor vehicle deaths would drop. 

But, lo and behold, an article in today's paper explained how  motor vehicle fatalities have unexpectedly INCREASED because, since the roads have "opened up" due to the decrease in traffic, people have been driving more aggressively.

The very same law of unintended/unforeseen consequences could easily result in there being MORE net deaths due to the lock down (and, I might add, more of them at a younger age on average) than if there had never been a lock down in the first place.

I agree with everything you wrote Jim, good stuff.

Baitbucket

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2020, 12:17 PM »
Starting today you have to wear a mask in public. Some towns have fines up to $1000 if you are caught not wearing one.

lowaccord66

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2020, 04:36 PM »
Starting today you have to wear a mask in public. Some towns have fines up to $1000 if you are caught not wearing one.

Not sure where you get the news but your states EO says the same as CT which is you must use one where social distancing can't be maintained unless you have a health condition that prevents you from wearing one and in both states you need not provide proof of that condition.  Sure some towns may try to fine but it would never hold up in court. You will see plenty of people without masks everywhere, trust me we've been doing the mask game down here for a while now.

filetandrelease

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2020, 04:41 PM »

So has NY , here there are signs at places of business as reminders

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2020, 06:14 PM »
Not sure where you get the news but your states EO says the same as CT which is you must use one where social distancing can't be maintained unless you have a health condition that prevents you from wearing one and in both states you need not provide proof of that condition.  Sure some towns may try to fine but it would never hold up in court. You will see plenty of people without masks everywhere, trust me we've been doing the mask game down here for a while now.

I believe the way its worded is, you have to wear a mask in those public places where social distancing isn't possible.

I think it is depressing enough without having to talk about it here unless something positive  happens.
Lets change the subject and try to legally entertain ourselves the best we can whether it's fishing, hunting, golfing etc. What's most important is stay safe and healthy.

lowaccord66

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2020, 07:32 PM »
I fished yesterday.

Either its dink pike or eager bass eating pike stuff.  Ill take it. 

Unclegillhunter

• Green grass and high times forever!
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2020, 02:00 AM »
I fished yesterday.

Either its dink pike or eager bass eating pike stuff.  Ill take it.
Good job! Thanks for sharing!
Keep it safe! JDL
Keep it safe! JDL

lowaccord66

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2020, 10:15 AM »
Good job! Thanks for sharing!
Keep it safe! JDL

Thanks bud!

jaltif

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2020, 07:02 AM »
James you must be a Rhodes Scholar who apparently is wealthy, owns 2 boats and is smarter than most people because he is able to work from home, and now says you must be a Felon if you fish but dont hunt, how about there is no such thing as hunt and release, you sir are a really special type of person CLOWN.

james1981

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2020, 09:54 AM »
James you must be a Rhodes Scholar who apparently is wealthy, owns 2 boats and is smarter than most people because he is able to work from home, and now says you must be a Felon if you fish but dont hunt, how about there is no such thing as hunt and release, you sir are a really special type of person CLOWN.

I often ask what are the poor people doing today?  Do you have two brain cells that cooperate with each other?  Or are you just full of vitriol and hate that life passed you by. Work harder, its your fault you don't have two boats. Being poor is a direct result of not being raised correctly to work and lack of work ethic. You should not expect hand outs in life.
  When you actually learn to hunt you might shoot every legal animal possible, When you mature and your balls drop you understand that hunting and fishing is a process not a result. Who I am sharing it with is more important then where i am. So i just spend time somewhere else.  So yea I do let animals go even when i have the drop on them, I am rich enough to have a phone with a camera since 2005 when they came out so i can take pictures.

westernmas

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2020, 11:54 AM »
Lock it up.  I see enough of this bickering on the nightly news.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2020, 01:00 PM »

The way the "law" was worded is that you need to wear a mask "where social distancing isn't possible" as in stores where people may congregate.
What that means is that when you are outdoors, away from anyone else, a mask is not required.
I have one handy, or on but pulled down, when I am fishing. If I'm with someone else, someone I haven't been around before who I don't know their COVID 19 status, then the mask will be on.

What I find funny (and unfortunately somewhat ignorant, is seeing people wearing masks improperly, or not at all in situations where one should be worn.
Also, seeing people wearing one while driving their own cars, with family members who have been with them since the beginning.
If family members haven't caught it in the past 3 weeks of home confinement, how would they be a risk to each other?

I'm not calling anyone anything derogatory, but rather pointing out a (somewhat massive) lack of available information.

Here is one important point to consider for the next few months...How will the virus impacted (and possible be spread) by mosquitos?
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.