FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quabbin Boat Ramps Closed  (Read 5087 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Quabbin Boat Ramps Closed
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 10:14 AM »
Allan nailed it.  The lack of development and the lack of pleasure boating makes quabbin a gem for sure.  Its an amazing fishery but man when you fish some of the other big public lakes in New England and see how productive it changes perspective a bit.

Im hopeful it opens.  There's a good group here that fishes there. 

fishsluggos

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 10:31 AM »
I just spoke with someone at the visitor center. He stated that he doesn't think they will be opening next weekend either. But maybe the week after that 5/23/20.

He reiterated the website as Alan pointed out will be the best way to find out if and when they will open the boat launches.

Ironically my season pass arrived in the mail yesterday.   ::)

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 11:37 AM »
My "quabbin" boat went trolling for eyes the other day.  Im double screwed because I am registered in CT and the current executive order says mass registrations only at the launches...soooo ya.  Great times...

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 11:48 AM »
My "quabbin" boat went trolling for eyes the other day.  Im double screwed because I am registered in CT and the current executive order says mass registrations only at the launches...soooo ya.  Great times...

Oh that sucks. What about coastal launches? Those as well, I assume.

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 02:19 PM »
Oh that sucks. What about coastal launches? Those as well, I assume.

The only exceptions are town/municipal launches.  Then I read Maine is mandatory 14 day quarantine for visitors all Summer.  These politicians are really going to enjoy budget season...and get ready for some amazing taxes to make up for their loss of tax revenue by their own decisions....

That said I'm done working today, time to take the boat out.

Baitbucket

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 08:13 AM »
I just spoke with someone at the visitor center. He stated that he doesn't think they will be opening next weekend either. But maybe the week after that 5/23/20.

I would think they would open when the state is set to reopen on the 18th. That being said, the docks, rentals, etc are not even in yet. So they may start doing that on the 18th.

As for fishing other lakes; I can hook up my boat and be on the quabbin in 22minutes (yes i timed it) if theres no line. And Allan nailed it. If im driving an hour+ to fish anywhere, its the salt.

Heres hoping they open it up in the next couple weeks..

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 09:35 AM »
I would think they would open when the state is set to reopen on the 18th. That being said, the docks, rentals, etc are not even in yet. So they may start doing that on the 18th.

As for fishing other lakes; I can hook up my boat and be on the quabbin in 22minutes (yes i timed it) if theres no line. And Allan nailed it. If im driving an hour+ to fish anywhere, its the salt.

Quite the place to have in your back yard Will.  Hope you and the family are doing well.

taxid

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 04:36 PM »

And you were just getting into the vertical jigging this year too vs. trolling weren't you?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Baitbucket

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 08:23 PM »
And you were just getting into the vertical jigging this year too vs. trolling weren't you?

Ive been doing more and more vertical jigging. Last year i didnt troll once. Down riggers never even went on the boat lol. Working a jig and tracking down fish is definitely more my style of fishing.

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 08:27 PM »

Ive been doing more and more vertical jigging. Last year i didnt troll once. Down riggers never even went on the boat lol. Working a jig and tracking down fish is definitely more my style of fishing.

You'd love champlain.  More lakers, average sized jigged seems to be 10lbs.  I lost a ton of time on quabbin once we started jigging them on champlain.

Granted id never poo poo trolling quabbin...the biggest lakers come from there two ways...trolling or dead meat on the bottom near the barrels at 8 during summer.

taxid

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2020, 08:50 PM »

Kind of like sight fishing which is my favorite kind of fishing.

I'll never forget following a school of up to 100 brook trout in the fall in a small lake in Mass as a kid. They were circling the lake looking for upwelling to spawn on. The lake was heavily stocked due to being on a Military Post.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Baitbucket

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2020, 06:56 AM »
You'd love champlain.  More lakers, average sized jigged seems to be 10lbs.  I lost a ton of time on quabbin once we started jigging them on champlain.

Granted id never poo poo trolling quabbin...the biggest lakers come from there two ways...trolling or dead meat on the bottom near the barrels at 8 during summer.

I dont know anything about fishing Champlain. But its about a 3hr drive the the southern most point for me.

Trolling the Q can be very effective. Its just to boring to me.  I cant say ive caught anything bigger trolling than I have jigging. And i know 99% of the guys on quabbin dont jig. I post one video of a 30fish day jigging on the facebook page and i get about 100 messages asking how its done lol.

lowaccord66

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2020, 07:27 AM »
Once things return to normal Ill bring you.  You will like it.  A lot. 

We never did a 30 fish day but in years past we were jigging and using drift socks (2) to go really slow.  It worked well.  I also didn't have panoptix...that's got me anxious for quabbin.  I want to see those lakers.

Baitbucket

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2020, 02:46 PM »
Once things return to normal Ill bring you.  You will like it.  A lot. 

We never did a 30 fish day but in years past we were jigging and using drift socks (2) to go really slow.  It worked well.  I also didn't have panoptix...that's got me anxious for quabbin.  I want to see those lakers.

That panoptix will be awesome for sure. Im still tossing around the idea of getting one. I wish garmin would get caught up with the other manufacturers and get a linkable trolling motor..

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2020, 06:30 PM »
That panoptix will be awesome for sure. Im still tossing around the idea of getting one. I wish garmin would get caught up with the other manufacturers and get a linkable trolling motor..

If you do, get the ice kit, then buy the boat mounting kit for 160.00 then you have it for all season use. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.