FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Couple hours on the Conn. River  (Read 2316 times)

stripernut

Couple hours on the Conn. River
« on: May 07, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Had to get out last night and the Connecticut River was down a bit (still honking) so I loaded the canoe up (with the pontoons) and wet a line. After throwing all kinds of jigs and swimmers I through a Roostertail on the trout rod and got a keeper Walleye and 2 fat rainbows. Aways feels great to get out, watched an eagle, only got rained on a little, did not end up swimming (love pontoons for anchoring in a strong current), and caught some fish. Took a pic of the walleye but it came out terrible... Well, I had to post about something other than all the challenges we are facing at the moment...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
Re: Couple hours on the Conn. River
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:39 AM »
nice work Allen. I'm heading there in a few for hopefully some eyes and smallmouth.

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:51 AM »
Nice job, sounds like fun. 

(I've never caught a walleye, but I hear they're a great fish, both to "fight" and to eat).

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 08:03 AM »
Nice report! Any size to the bows?

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 08:16 AM »
(I've never caught a walleye, but I hear they're a great fish, both to "fight" and to eat).

I don't know how claims a great fight, the two bows put up a much better fish...

The bows were 17" and 18 "

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 11:38 AM »
Nice Allan I need to get up that way once things calm down a bit.

westernmas

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 12:25 PM »
Great work Allan.  Glad you stayed upright.  I hit Congamond for a few hours, only got a dink bass, but was surprised when I got to the launch and there were over a dozen state police vehicles, 2 EPOs and several Southwick fire and police officers.  I got home and turned on the news to find out that they found an empty kayak wash ashore, with the life vest and paddle in it along with a vehicle that no one claimed.  They were resuming the search today.  Hopefully the kayak was blown out onto the water and its all for nothing.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 01:38 PM »
Great work Allan.  Glad you stayed upright.  I hit Congamond for a few hours, only got a dink bass, but was surprised when I got to the launch and there were over a dozen state police vehicles, 2 EPOs and several Southwick fire and police officers.  I got home and turned on the news to find out that they found an empty kayak wash ashore, with the life vest and paddle in it along with a vehicle that no one claimed.  They were resuming the search today.  Hopefully the kayak was blown out onto the water and its all for nothing.

Bad news they found a body.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

SkunkLuvver

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 02:46 PM »
Had to get out last night and the Connecticut River was down a bit (still honking) so I loaded the canoe up (with the pontoons) and wet a line. After throwing all kinds of jigs and swimmers I through a Roostertail on the trout rod and got a keeper Walleye and 2 fat rainbows. Aways feels great to get out, watched an eagle, only got rained on a little, did not end up swimming (love pontoons for anchoring in a strong current), and caught some fish. Took a pic of the walleye but it came out terrible... Well, I had to post about something other than all the challenges we are facing at the moment...

That’s what I love about the CT... you never know what you’re going to catch, esp at that particular spot.
I tried for Shad a little ways up stream from there the other day and killed it with the  smallies on the dart. No Shad for me though.

Nice work, and way to go navigating a canoe in what has to have been hairy conditions.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 02:54 PM »
I don't know how claims a great fight, the two bows put up a much better fish...

The bows were 17" and 18 "

Do the bows hold over in your section of the Connecticut?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 03:02 PM »
I doubt it, I think most of them drop out of rivers and stream...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 05:02 PM »
got a nice smallie and 2 small bows in the ct today. they are dropping out of the feeder rivers in numbers it seems

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 06:03 PM »
Do the bows hold over in your section of the Connecticut?

I caught a Brown Trout in February fishing for Walleyes. That is the cool thing about that river you never know what you’re going to catch.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 08:38 AM »
I caught a Brown Trout in February fishing for Walleyes. That is the cool thing about that river you never know what you’re going to catch.

Yeah if anything will holdover it's a brown. I've been told by two sources (trout hatchery and fish and wildlife prof in NY) that a tiger trout is even hardier, but I'm skeptical as they have brook trout DNA.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 12:59 PM »

One of my favorite reasons I love to fish the River... Even got a Schooly Striper (jigging for Walleye) in the Greenfield area once... You just never know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.