FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Curly-Tail Grub  (Read 21950 times)

TroutFishingBear

Curly-Tail Grub
« on: Apr 09, 2004, 11:39 PM »
I find that these lures are excellent all around for walleyes, pike, bass, and even trout. The sad thing is it seems like I either snag it or get a nice fish every cast. Does anyone know a way to rig it so it won't snag as much?

Liar

Re: Curly-Tail Grub
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2004, 11:54 AM »

O.K. I'm gonna try!!!!!!!!!!

Hook just the head of the grub and slide it all the way up to head of jig.  Now take the rest of the body and hold it next tho the hook so that the grub is pointing towards jig head.  Stick the hook just under the outer skin of the grub.  Just far enought so when the fish hits the hook has no problem sticking the fish.   I Hope I made sense............. :-\ ;) 8)

Jigwiggler

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2004, 01:11 PM »
Don't let it hit the bottom.................................. ;D Sorry had to

It's just one of those inevitable parts of jig fishing.  Buy cheap jigs so you're not out a small fortune when you loose one.  One thing I have had luck with is fishing the same grubs on a carolina rig and using a lindy no snagg sinker or a slinkie for weight.  Still hook it weedless like Liar said (though I'm not sure how much you can beleive of what he says) and see how you make out.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Liar

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2004, 11:31 AM »

I fish, there fore I lie....or is it.......I lie, there fore I fish............???? ::)  ::)  ;)  8)

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2004, 12:02 PM »
Curly tail grubs and skirted varieties as well as tube jigs are awesome fish getters.  I will always do well with one of these when all else fails.

In fact, I am going to replenish my stocks today for the impending walleye run.  What colors do guys prefer to use the most?

Jigwiggler

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2004, 12:40 PM »
     Too many colors to list.  My already large assortment of grubs and tubes grows every year.  I use just about every color under to rainbow at one time or another.  I think that dark naturals are hard to beat for starters.  Motor oil, smoke, pumpkinseed, green pumpkin are some of my favorites.  Chartruse is a must have for walleye as is white.  My local Gander Mt. sells them by the piece,  I will go down and pick up 4 or 5 each in a bunch of different colors and when I find one that produces well I will go back and stock up.

Cider

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2004, 01:35 PM »
I was thinking chartruese and maybe a bright yellow.  Definitely white for muddy murky water this time of year.

What style jig heads do you use?  I always by the plain round head jigs and I am too lazy to bother painting them.  Do you really think a painted head makes much difference so long as you have the right color soft plastic on?

Jigwiggler

« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2004, 03:55 PM »
Yes yellow is a good walleye producer.  I find it to work especially well in the fall.  I don't know why though??   ???  99% of the time I fish plain unpainted jig heads.  About the only time I use a painted head is if I want to add just a little color to my presentation (eg. chartruse head w/ a smoke or black body).  Early spring when I am fishing live bait for eyes, many times I will use just a plain lead head and a large chub.  No twister at all.  This way you have less resistance to get down into those deep swift holes.  The bare lead can't spook them too much or I wouldn't catch any.  I use the plain round head style jig heads but try to find ones with a wide gap hook.  I use tube jig head when fishing tubes but like the ones where the eye exits the front of the tube instead of the top and again wide gap.  I am now experimenting with the short shank models form Northland tackle and like them so far but have not used them enough to for a conclusion.

slipbob

« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2004, 03:58 PM »
I was thinking chartruese and maybe a bright yellow.  Definitely white for muddy murky water this time of year.

What style jig heads do you use?  I always by the plain round head jigs and I am too lazy to bother painting them.  Do you really think a painted head makes much difference so long as you have the right color soft plastic on?
The painted head thing is unimportant in my opinion.  I think with the right tail and the right presentation it's not a big deal.  Who the heck knows though?  It might matter somedays.  I buy heads that are usually painted anyway but this season I do definitely want to add some glow paint to the heads and use the purple tazer to see how that increases the nite bite.  I think it will work really well cause I fish a lot of walleye in the evening and usually stay an hour after dark.  I will report my findings when walleye season opens soon.  May 1st baby, May 1st.

crappieloo

« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2004, 08:32 PM »
Does anyone know a way to rig it so it won't snag as much?
Use a stand up jig. Also painted jig heads are a waste of paint.

Liar

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2004, 09:27 AM »

Those of you who don't think color matters for a jig head, would you say the same thing for wooden or plastic lures.  Suchas rappelas' etc.
   Just curious.......................... ;) 8)

crappieloo

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2004, 04:35 PM »
If you take some paint and make a small circle the size of a 1/8 or 1/4 jig head on the clear lip of the lure and fish it like a jig on the bottom, its a waste of paint.
Lure color does make a difference.

slipbob

« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2004, 10:39 AM »

Those of you who don't think color matters for a jig head, would you say the same thing for wooden or plastic lures.  Suchas rappelas' etc.
   Just curious.......................... ;) 8)
Not at all Liar.  Color is a huge and I mean huge factor with baits.  With jig heads and plastic though it's a little different.  What I mean there is the main attracting part of the curly tail grub is the curly tail.  It's motion in the water which attracts the fish.  The color is real important on the grub itself.  Last year I did actually trial different plastics on walleye during the fall bite.  The res I fish has a large white perch population and the only plastics that would consistently produce were white tails. I tried yellow and black to keep it simple but white won hands down.  The actual jighead though is only a small part of the package with soft plastics and is merely there for weighting and to hold the hook.  Jighead color I believe is highly important though in the situation of nite fishing where having glow paint can be a huge advantage combined with the tazer.  During the day though I believe the color of the plastic tail is most important not the jig head.  I don't want to give the impression that color is unimportant I am more concerned with color than most but a jig the head is at most 10% of the entire bait.  When you are talking rapalas and such or crankbaits or spoons color of the entire bait is important.

Liar

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2004, 03:39 AM »

Slipbob, thanks for your reply.  I agree with you 90%.  I feel that a jig head that is  airbrushed w/ a floresent color and tipped off w/ eyes will make a differance, at least thats my experiance with crappies, gills and at times walleyes.  Also, tie some maribou or tiny zonker strips both with a little flash to the jig.........and get ready!!!

Thanks again for your very informative reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2004, 11:04 PM »
TFB, try using less weight, as little as possible but you can still get to the bottom.  Keep your line tight all the time.  Sometimes a Texas rig works well for the larger grubs too.  Also, it depends on how you fish them.  Across and down presentations can use more weight than upstream.  The type of cover makes a difference too.  Round heads are OK around rocks but snag city around wood.  Texas rig works better around wood.  There are even modified jigheads that do the same thing as a Texas rig.  I'll try to get some product names, pics and links unless someone beats me to it.

I believe that jighead color makes a difference some times.  One example, fishing ratsos through the ice at night.  The glow jigheads work better than the ones that don't glow.  Both work, just the glow works a little better.  For open water, not much use for paint unless I want a bit more attraction, like a chartreuse or glow head, in times of muddy water or when fish don't react to drab natural colors well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.