FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cleaning jig eyes. Any tricks?  (Read 15951 times)

Trakndwg

Cleaning jig eyes. Any tricks?
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:43 AM »
I just painted up a bunch of different size and color jigs with powder paint and hardened the paint in the oven. Now I have a bunch of jig eyes to clean out. I have little jig pics but this paint is so hard the pics just bend  >:(... Do any of you guys have any tricks for quick and easy jig cleaning? :)
"All fishermen are liars. If they tell you they are not liars they are lying to you." --Paul Herbert (Tuna.com)

reeleyz

Re: Cleaning jig eyes. Any tricks?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:06 AM »
I always use the point of a hook. That works good for me.

OTIS

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:26 AM »
I use powder paint on my jigs as well.  The quickest way I have found is with a lighter and a paper clip.  Open up the paperclip, heat up the end with a lighter, push it through the eye and wiggle it around.  This prevents the paint from chipping around the eye.  ;)
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Dark Cloud

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:54 AM »
The paint cleans out much easier if you do it before baking them...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Munson

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:01 AM »
If you take a sharp nail clipper,  push it over the eye of the hook to the shank, just below the eye.   Squeeze it and twist the the clipper a half circle in each direction.   This usually loosens up the paint over the eye.  Sometimes, a light snip right across the hook eye is needed to flake the paint away.     Saves the points on your hooks and leaves a clean eye.

waterwolf603

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:05 AM »
I use a jig buster it looks like line clippers but with a point in the middle on one side and a hole on the other side that the point fits in when you press it down, works great.. I never knew they made em until this year.
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

draketrutta

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 11:25 AM »
I always use the point of a hook. That works good for me.

X2 - easy peazy multi-purpose tool

- without the need to have yet another Fishermen's tool...
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

OneBucketMike

• OneBucketMike
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:50 PM »
If you take a sharp nail clipper,  push it over the eye of the hook to the shank, just below the eye.   Squeeze it and twist the the clipper a half circle in each direction.   This usually loosens up the paint over the eye.  Sometimes, a light snip right across the hook eye is needed to flake the paint away.     Saves the points on your hooks and leaves a clean eye.

Probably a good way to ding up a sharp nail clipper. Probably fine if you don't ever try to clip your nails with it. Cya....
One Bucket Mike

dewey

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 01:13 PM »
i have alot of jig heads that i powder coated and hardend in the oven before clearing the eyes and they are pretty much useless. Sometimes the point of another hook will clear them out but if it dont clear out easily then i put them asside and dont use them. Now i make sure they are cleaned out real good before baking them.

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Yep, clean before baking.  Even then if the powder is too thick it will still run and clog the eye while baking.

Rickl1968

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 02:17 PM »
VASOLINE!

A friend of mine uses a little screwdriver and puts a dab of vasoline on the eye, before he dips them in the paint. Wipe off when dry and this leaves no paint to clog the hole.  :)

Doorbreaker

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 06:01 PM »
Eye buster. Sold all over the place.

Trakndwg

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Thanks for all the great tips guys. I sure wish I had cleaned those eyes before I baked the jigs. :-\ Next time I'll remember. I think I have one of those eye busters around here someplace. The heated paper clip sounds like a good idea too. Some of these jigs are 1/80th so maybe a hot needle will do the trick. I appreciate everyones input. I knew I'de get some great feed back. ;D
"All fishermen are liars. If they tell you they are not liars they are lying to you." --Paul Herbert (Tuna.com)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Chuck a finish nail (brad) in a drill. The end of the nail will be sheared off, not conical, so it will act as a reamer. You will most likely have to go through both sided. A jig eye  buster will be harmless to the powder coat, don't bother.

I bet you wont make the same mistake again! ;D

wiredstone

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 08:24 PM »
I think a drill press with a fixture would work well if you have many to do. ::)
wooo fish on. Never mind

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.