FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What style of Jig do you use?  (Read 9056 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
What style of Jig do you use?
« on: Mar 15, 2004, 12:26 AM »
Just read an old article about the Trout Magnet, (Dart Style) jig, with a flat taper on the front bottom of the jig. The action sounds interesting for Panfish and even larger fish use.

Anyone ever use these? What types of jigs do you use?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

crappieloo

Re: What style of Jig do you use?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:13 PM »
I use a ball head jigs with no paint most the time. Other jigs i use are tube style and stand ups. Also will use a bucktail jig from Cabelas or homemade bucktails.
crappieloo

eyedoktr

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2004, 06:30 PM »
I'll  generally use a 1/64th or 1/32nd bucktail with some mylar flash or a Mini-Mite.
Pete Lewis

Liar

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2004, 12:00 PM »

For summer 1/32 - 1/16 w/maribou with a little crystal flash or wth a zonker strip with out crystal flash.  Same set up can be used on larger and differant style jigs.

PERCH INC.

• Monster Perch Rulz!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2004, 11:35 AM »
Tube jigs will catch all kinds of fish!! Try them you will like them!! 8)
Pass it on !! "Hunting and Fishing"

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 01:51 PM »
I just picked up a pack of the Trout Magnet jigs for my nephew the other night. I'll let you know how they work for us as soon as we try them.

For those that have not seen them, Leland's Lures has a website at:

http://www.troutmagnet.com

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 03:57 PM »
For walleyes and bass, I like twistertail grubs or sassy shads on 1/8 or 1/4 ounce jigheads. Pike seem to really like bigger shads and grubs on heavier jigheads, and trout will inhale all of these as well. Crappie and bluegill are suckers for small tubes or small grubs fished on small jigheads underneath slip bobbers. And of course, the 2.5" to 3.5" tube jig fished on a 1/4 ounce jighead is the greatest lake trout lure out there. Pike will hit tubes as well.

Tyler

cnyfishing

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2005, 03:18 PM »
For Walleye and smallmouths I like bucktail jigs, for panfish I like 1/32oz jigs with a 1 inch twister tail
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

wallyhuntr

• OH where OH where are those suckers.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2006, 02:38 PM »
use jigs 99 percent of the time winter and summer. vertical mostly. even in summer. lake is stained water, flatland res. chartruse or white. and glow. 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz depending on depth. If I cast to the banks in early spring I will generally use a 1/4 oz road runner style jig tipped with a minnow. during ice, usually use 1/8  to 1/4 round head tipped with a minnow. When the water starts to warm up and the fish get active. while others are pulling bottom bouncers etc I will be using a 3/8 oz  with curly tail grub or a worm. fish almost exclusively for walleye. and this method works for me. plus even though I may not catch anything. I enjoy being able to feel what that jig is doing. and the bite.when I do get one.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2006, 11:19 PM »
I have quite a few jig heads for different bodies and applications. If I am jigging with them I like the regular ballhead jigs or ones with a rattle collar. If I am trolling or casting them I like the bullet heads, stand-up heads, thumper heads, rock walker heads and whistle jigs.
In sizes 1/4 to 3/4 oz and a wide variety of colors. :w00t:

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.