FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Bay in a Kayak?  (Read 6861 times)

chimo

The Bay in a Kayak?
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:02 PM »
So I am relatively new to MD and pretty green when it comes to salt water fishing in general.  I just picked up a Kayak and was thinking that it might be pretty sweet to head out on the bay and do some fishing.  I am just starting to do some research and am looking for ideas on where and what to fish for.  Seems like everytime I hear about fishing the bay it is for Rock fish or croakers but does anyone fish for anything else in the salt?  What do you think of say heading down to Sandy point and fishing around the Bay Bridge piers?  What should I use?  Would drifting chunks of bunker or mullet or bloodworms be a good approach?  Or would I be better off working bucktails, soft plastics rigged on jigs or some type of diving minnow?  I'm just looking for a few starting points and any other species or techniques I should think about trying.  Thanks in advance! Good fishin

Chimo

dmntd169

Re: The Bay in a Kayak?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:23 AM »
Never personally fished the Chesepeake in a yak but have fished some of the bays in NJ in em and it can be a blast but you have to be careful and make sure the weathers going to be good.

http://snaggedline.com/blog/category/maryland-kayak-fishing/ is a good source of info in yak fishing the bay
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

chimo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:39 AM »
Thanks dmntd169 for the info!  Looks like a nice site.  Now all I need to do is actually get some time to get on the water  ::)  Maybe sunday  8)  good fishin

Chimo

chimo

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2010, 08:59 PM »
Finally had a weekend off so I took the Yak out for a tour of the Bay bridge.  Caught a bunch of white perch, a croaker, and a whole lotta sun  8)  Spent about 5 hours fishing bait on spreader rigs around the pilings.  Tried live lining some chunked fish and working soft plastics as well but didn't have any takers.  Can't wait to get out again  ;D 

a little croaker

Nice view

Good fishin

Chimo

chimo

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2010, 05:18 PM »
So, either I have been lucky or the fishing has been pretty good on the bay!  I have caught plenty of white perch, some ray's, some small rockfish (really really small  ::) ), a few croaker and a nice channel cat.  Now that I have been catching a few fish though I have some new goals.  A keeper rockfish, some decent blues, and maybe a shark  8)  I have tried 3 areas so far, Ft Armistad 4 or 5 times, The Severn river across from the Naval Academy 3 times, and Sandy Point once.  All of my rockfish, 20 or so up to 12 inches, have come from the Key Bridge area.  Is there any chance of a keeper in this area or am I wasting my time?  I would think were there are small ones a bigger one would be around but I haven't had any luck yet....   Its convenient and easiest for me to get to so I have been spending most of my time there.  Any suggestions would be great!  Are there any other places people look for fishing reports?  Always nice to see what has been working for other people.  Good Fishin

Chimo

Btw, if anyone else on here fishes the bay in a 'yak and wants some company, send me a message!

justatrout

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2012, 08:06 PM »
yak fising is lots of fun

Rockfish1965

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2022, 09:10 AM »
Doesn’t look like much action on this site but I just found it so what the heck. To belatedly respond to your questions, yeah you can find keeper rock in those areas during certain times of the year. I prefer to go a bit further south and fish the mid Bay Area like Chrisfield. More consistent fishing for rock, and there you get into specks, and occasionally reds. If you’re  more adventurous, you can hit cape Charles and then things get real interesting. There, you’re essentially fishing oceanic water and the number of species goes way up. If you’re intersted in sharks, that’s the place for you. Ive fished my yak out of kiptopeake for cobia a couple times, and you be weeding your way through plenty of sharks and rays before you get attached to a cobia. Hope this helps

Rock

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.