FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: kayaks?  (Read 17584 times)

jtk2

Re: kayaks?
« Reply #75 on: Jul 27, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I went after stipers for the first time today in the yak. So fun. Ill be doing it again for sure.
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

waterwolf603

« Reply #76 on: Jul 30, 2012, 06:43 AM »
I went after stipers for the first time today in the yak. So fun. Ill be doing it again for sure.

nice how did you make out?

does any one trolling with leadcore out of there yak, if so do you find it easier  to keep a good presentation at the desired depth with lures or bait? I just bought a leadcore set up and hope to break it in on friday for some brookies/bows as I cant seem to get deep enough to find the brookies are the in the thermocline this time of yr or do they hug the bottom in a lake without lakers?
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

jtk2

« Reply #77 on: Jul 30, 2012, 07:53 AM »
Caught 3-4 stripers nothing huge. One keeper. It made a couple runs and was pulling me around. It was alot of fun.
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

waterwolf603

« Reply #78 on: Jul 30, 2012, 08:13 AM »
thats awesome!

0Dark30

« Reply #79 on: Aug 01, 2012, 01:32 PM »
just put a rod holder on my yak and the 6yo little dude hooked his first salmon trolling lead core with me middle of the day. The issue i have been having trolling the lead is slowwing the yak down enough to be effective presenting the lure, i am trolling with my gps duct taped to the yak now too..lol. I am finding that @ .9mph dragging a sewn smelt or db smelt i am droppin 10 foot per color and at 1.8 mph i am averaging 6.5 foot per color. But i have been doing well trolling for salmon out of the yak, Caught 9 from it last week while on vaca. My fatherinlaw says you doulbe your catch out of a rowed boat rather than a motor boat cause it adds more action to the lure. As much as i hate to agree i only caught 3 from the big boat last week.
Vegetarian= Ancient Indian word for bad fisherman!

waterwolf603

« Reply #80 on: Aug 01, 2012, 02:34 PM »
thats awesome man, and congrats to the little man I def plan on going after salmon eventually out of the yak. 1.9 mph you must be motoring pretty good? thats the thing i never know how fast I am going just kind of trial and error so far haha

0Dark30

« Reply #81 on: Aug 01, 2012, 02:44 PM »
It is actually herd to get the yak slowed down enough. my normal paddle speed is around 3.5 ot 4 mph. Little dude is hooked on yak trollin now, he sees me draggin it out and the first question is am i fishing. if yes he is getting his jacket if no he is off lookin for some other trouble to get into. We have caught a few brookies out of it casting but not trollin yet.
Vegetarian= Ancient Indian word for bad fisherman!

waterwolf603

« Reply #82 on: Aug 01, 2012, 02:49 PM »
right on, I feel like you gotta be paddling pretty hard to be goin that fast haha but I dunno Ill keep that in mind next time out, i guess i they are so light and arrow dynamic it isnt hard to pick up speed

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #83 on: Aug 02, 2012, 12:30 PM »
I don't know how anyone trolls for salmon without a GPS... speed is so important. Or maybe it's really not, my track record isn't anything special and I use a GPS all the time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.