FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Puzzling Plumbing issue...  (Read 1743 times)

taxid

Puzzling Plumbing issue...
« on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:56 PM »
Trying to trace a sporadic dripping leak that ends up on the basement bathroom floor from the ceiling. It's following the outside of a vertical 2 inch PVC pipe in an interior wall behind the stove. Pipe runs up to the third level. I ran all the sinks, toilets, showers etc., and can't cause the leak, but sporadically in a day or so it drips again. Could it be a vent pipe? But it leaked this morning, no rain and -4 F so I doubt it's a vent pipe.

Traced it up a distance behind the stove by cutting out some drywall that won't show behind the stove, but I will repair it.

Anybody have any ideas?

I taped some paper towel above a joint and at the joint to possibly give me more clues if they get wet.  I don't think it's a t joint but it could be.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

Re: Puzzling Plumbing issue...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2023, 08:20 PM »
Condensation???

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2023, 08:31 PM »
I suppose that's possible. My concern is the particle board around the pipe is black with mold and If I put the ceiling tiles back in the basement bathroom I will end up with a big stain on the ceiling.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

piscesman

« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2023, 04:57 AM »
You may have a stress crack or a glue joint that is loose or no glue. Paper towels a good way to zero in on the source.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2023, 10:24 PM »
I agree with piscesman . Especially in these cold temps. The warm air will find any small place to leak out

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2023, 11:30 AM »
Thank you gentlemen. I did use paper toweling and it is running down the outside of a vertical pipe which seems to be a vent pipe, which could mean it is condensation. Problem is the vent pipe goes up an interior wall and I can't get to it without cutting out significant drywall out. Unfortunately it looks like it's the going to come to that.

I lost a soffit board or two a few years ago in some really bad wind (and it may not have been nailed in place well) and had some insulation blow out. Could be the lack of insulation is causing warm air in the house to make contact with cold air and causing condensation.

I don't have an attic in this log home which was build like an "A Frame," Just an isulated space between the ceiling and the roof.  Would be nice to have an attic to walk around into to see what is going on.

nh3fitter

« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2023, 10:37 AM »
Could be a roof flashing thou you said it had not rained in a while. But you mentioned dark stain on wood near by so may have been leaking awhile.

Ghetto Slushie

« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2023, 02:55 AM »
Drop a smoke bomb down the vent stack from the roof & cap it w/ rag. Smoke will emit from location of leak

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:51 AM »
Drop a smoke bomb down the vent stack from the roof & cap it w/ rag. Smoke will emit from location of leak

That makes sense but what if the the leak is inside the wall? And what do I tell the wife when it appears the house is on fire?  :rotflol:  "Don't worry honey it's just smoke bomb."

I may have to rule out the vent pipe. There are two on the roof but they are at least 5 to 6 feet north of the pipe the water is running down. I can judge that accurately as there a bathroom window I can use as reference.

I think I will be cutting out some dry wall in the future.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:36 AM »
Had something somewhat similar with both my neighbors last weekend with the -15 temps we dealt with. They both woke up with no cold water in there kitchen only, and water under the sink.

The kitchen pipes run out the basement past the foundation, as the kitchen floor overhangs the basement walls. The Cooper cold water pipes had frozen, and the leaks were condensation. Once the pipes warmed to, the water was back on and no further issues, after cleaning the mess.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.