FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rod building  (Read 27612 times)

KingPerch

Re: Rod building
« Reply #60 on: Jan 25, 2021, 04:24 PM »
The Shooting Star
Wow! They are looking great my friend. Whatever they need, no issue there. Now, ol KP needs to find a couple of reels for them. I have a third rod, but, it’s missing the top section of the rod. May need to do some research for that to locate one. That is a midge rod also.
Thanks again, Bob!!😎

The Midge

Waiting on a few components now.

Rg
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #61 on: Jan 25, 2021, 04:40 PM »
They’re getting there.

I just happen to have a pretty substantial vintage reel collection. When I get them done I’ll see if a couple fit the rods. We can work something out I’m sure.

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #62 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:35 PM »
Nice Bob.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #63 on: Jan 25, 2021, 06:04 PM »
They will be when I’m done.

Really enjoy this kind of work. When I was gunsmithing I did a lot of restoration on firearms. The guy I worked for was brilliant. The work we produced was as close to factory original as was possible. He taught me a lot about detail.

I can hear him in my head when I’m doing something like this.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #64 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:46 PM »
I’m not a good detail guy.
Never been.
I work hard and generally do a good job on what I’m working on.
But for me to do some of the intricate design wraps would be a total waste of time.  The rods I’ve built are more basic.
Not pretty.
Rods to use.  Not look at and admire the artwork.
I can appreciate the ornate ones that others built I simply cannot generate the interest and/or patience to do that sort of thing.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #65 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:39 PM »
Well, I’m not really into ornate either. Form follows function. But, in this case, respecting the craftsman who dedicated their life to creating a bamboo fly rod, which I consider a useful work of art, deserves careful consideration. You can build all the fish sticks you want and be happy with the results. I have a rack full of them.

Restoring the neglected, skillful work of others is a little different. I would hope that in another 60 years someone with my ilk would find one of my fly rods unused and neglected and take responsibility for bringing it back to my original concept, taking the same sense of pride and respect.

What a great legacy.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #66 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:44 PM »
I agree Bob.
I’m just more of a rough carpenter.
Not a finish carpenter.
I get the job done, and generally, it’s good work.  Just not always pretty.
But I’m still just as proud of what I accomplished as the guy who builds those fancy jobs.

icefisher47

« Reply #67 on: Jan 26, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Those rods are definitely coming along nicely. You do great work.
Take a kid fishing

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #68 on: Jan 26, 2021, 07:43 AM »
Thanks.....they look a bit better than they did.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #69 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:34 AM »
Thanks.....they look a bit better than they did.

Rg

He was speaking to me.

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #70 on: Jan 26, 2021, 01:29 PM »
Think so eh?

Waiting on components so I worked on bobbers today. I’ll cut up some more stock tomorrow and turn some more blanks.

Trying to get a good stock of these before my Son gets his online craft store set up.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #71 on: Jan 30, 2021, 05:18 AM »
Got the silk thread and a couple eyes yesterday. The eyes aren’t even close to what they’re supposed to be. I’m working with the eBay seller to get the correct eyes.
The one on the left is what I need. The one on the right is what was sent. 4.3 mm I.d. vs 10 mm I.d.

The wire diameter is substantially thicker too. Looks like it belongs on a tuna rod, not a bamboo fly rod.

Worst case is I have to order a couple from Mudhole. Don’t like that company. My final order with them was years ago when a $3 purchase carried a $12 shipping fee. It was for a couple snake guides that would have cost no more than $2 to send 1 st class mail. When I called the company they pretty much said “OH WELL” . I cancelled my account.

They seem to be the only ones who carry PAC Bay twister foul proof guides, the only guides I can find in production that duplicate the existing.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #72 on: Jan 30, 2021, 08:26 AM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #73 on: Jan 30, 2021, 10:05 AM »
Nope!

They don’t carry the foul proof “twister” guides.

Bob

Mac Attack

« Reply #74 on: Jan 30, 2021, 11:19 AM »
Nope!

They don’t carry the foul proof “twister” guides.

Bob

Mudhole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.