FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 559537 times)

filetandrelease

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3480 on: Oct 17, 2017, 06:46 AM »

Awesome pics thanks for sharing

chrony59

« Reply #3481 on: Oct 17, 2017, 11:08 AM »
AWESOME pictures as usual GUMP  :bowdown: :clapping:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3482 on: Oct 19, 2017, 01:41 PM »
Can anyone use any of these?  I have 7 right now....
There from my neighbors Itilian chickens..  ;D
AKA guniefowel..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

lowaccord66

« Reply #3483 on: Oct 24, 2017, 05:32 PM »
If I still tied id scoop those up.  Great material for panfish flies at the very least.

Question for the guys who have been flyfishing for quite some time.  Euro nypmhing...anyone do it?  Anyone spending money on those leaders?  Maybe its just me but if I am drifting on leader only I can feel the hit...not really looking for it so why have a marked leader? 

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3484 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:36 PM »
first  before  you  can  really  understand  it  you  have  to put away  your  ego  for a  minute  .... no matter  how  fast  you are  or  how  good you think you "feel"   you  are  missing  strikes ... you can see a  strick  faster  and  more often then feel one ......  now  most the  time I  use  a   small  indicator  and  when  nymphing   specially  short  line  I  am  not  suspending the  nymph  at all  i'm  dragging the  indicator  and  watching  for  any   movement  ......  this  euro  nymphing  has  been  around   since I was a kid  they  use  to  use  pieces  of  colored  Dacron   even  it is  effective  and  a  tool  to  use   it  is  good  in   small  streams  and  your  really  doing in watching your  leader    but to  make it easy   add a  section of  high  vis  mono ....now  not to  bust anyones  bubble  but  you will see that line  move  way before  you feel the  hit  ...my advice  try it  it's another tool and  trick in your  bag
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

lowaccord66

« Reply #3485 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Thanks Trap that was why I was asking,   Ive been fishing mostly no indicator short line or not and was trying to determine which was going to give me a better hook up ratio or at least ensure a better drift.  Ive been using pinch on palsa indicators off and on but the angering thing (and it happened night before last) is the trout hit the indicator all of the time.  Im trying to avoid adding the thingamabobber that is seemingly popular over here on the west branch of the Farmington, but perhaps that stubborness is costing me a few fish!

trapper2000

« Reply #3486 on: Oct 25, 2017, 04:48 PM »
low  as  a  general  rule  (GENERAL)  long  drifts deep pools  use  a  indicator ...like  salmon  river  steelhead fishing ....  short  small  streams   use  the  euro  method  and   if  you like to  feel a  hit you  still will with the  euro method ....  all tools  to  have  know and  use  .....

Gump

« Reply #3487 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Wow...sorry ...just starting to emerge form hibernation  :)  I am chomping at the bit for Spring to get here and just started reminiscing about chasing wild trout and this photos

Thanks for the compliments guys. Now to answer a few questions I see I missed...

Posted by: MattyP123
« on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:37 PM »
Insert Quote

Your first cuttie(s)?

Yes !  Took them off of my bucket list!  Not as easy as you would think.  Many of the native range for cutthroats is now being overrun with rainbows and also brook trout are thriving (as you can see form my pics), outcompeting them.  This means hiking and going into the headwaters of these streams to find them.  Yes, there are places where they are stocked that have easier access, but I wanted to try and catch wild fish in their native range.

Simply awesome pictures....looks like an great place to go. were all the fish caught in the san juan park? Thanks for sharing.
icejohn

Yes, John, all the pics of the fish I posted where found inside the national forest.  There is plenty of trout water outside the forest and parks as well, but those waters tend to have more angling traffic and are also supplemented with stocking.  You will generally find a smorgasbord of rainbows and browns in those waters.  Nothing wrong with that, but I specifically went out there to chase wild trout.  The higher you go in the streams systems (into the national forest) the better your chances of the cutthroats and you will for sure find brookies too.  I figure I better do it now while my legs will let me.  ;D  But there is planty of trout waters with all degrees of access....heck I was fishing behind a gas station in town on the San Juan river...lol

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

trapper2000

« Reply #3488 on: Apr 01, 2018, 04:53 AM »
it's here ...opening of  trout season  and  most  streams  are  high ! I been  fishing  some  very  small  tribs and  having  some  luck  even though the  bigger water is raging ,don't  forget to  check ice  free  ponds  and  lakes... remember all those  tiny  brook  trout  streams   that  were 2 foot  wide?  might be your best  shot now.... I  got a  piece of  water i'll be fishing  when that sun  starts  to  rise  ,hope you all  have a  great day  and  feel a  bend rod  today  :thumbup_smilie:

trapper2000

« Reply #3489 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:26 AM »
cold  and  windy  great day to be  fishing  ;D

2  browns  and  a  perch  ...why a  perch was  there I have  no idea  but  we are  having perch  almondine tonight

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3490 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:54 AM »
Nice catch Trapp......      :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

trapper2000

« Reply #3491 on: Apr 01, 2018, 12:20 PM »
dacker thank you  had  a lot  against me  this  morning  weather  run off  and  wind  but  most  important I  had  fun

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3492 on: Apr 01, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Way to go trapp!  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3493 on: Apr 01, 2018, 01:11 PM »
By the way, I think I'm officially an Old Fart today.  :D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

trapper2000

« Reply #3494 on: Apr 01, 2018, 03:44 PM »
fishing machine  you  must  fish the  battenkill  a  bit , I  haven't in many years  but   we  use to rock some  nice  browns in that  water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.