FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sucker Fishing (pics)  (Read 12357 times)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: Sucker Fishing (pics)
« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2009, 07:49 PM »
I took the oldest boy out after work tonight, we got at least 8.

Two fish Tommy and I were crowded out of this spot on Saturday. There were only 6 guys down there, but we decided to be respectful and find another spot. There is plenty of room for everyone, no need to bunch up. I wish I would have went down there now because these six jerk pig slobs left 3 big bags of garbage scattered on the banks for me to pick up. >:( :cursing:

canoesota

• "Got my mojo workin"
« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:01 PM »
Nice pics Skipper! Your Son looks like he had a great time!

corny13

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2009, 10:23 PM »
Skipper are those Redhorse or just big white suckers?

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Most of them were redhorse. We got a few whiteys in the mix too.

There are around 5 different species of redhorse in MN, and I'm not too sure how to identify them. I will tell you that it was a mixed bag. Most of the fish were the really big ones with lighter skin and fins, but we got some with the dark golden skin and darker red fins too. There were a few in the mix with smaller heads and bright red tail fins too. We only caught a few white suckers, but they usually don't run at the same time as the redhorse. I cant remember if they run earlier or later than the redhorse.

I will say it was sure good fun! I am going to try a few more times before it is done with. It is a fantastic opportunity to put a kid on plentiful large fish that are stupid and easy to catch. Jimmer had a BLAST fishing for those smelly things! It started to downpour rain and he still didn't want to go home. If you want to get a kid addicted to fishing, this is a great place to start. ;)

BBK

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Redhorse are carp shaped and white sucker are long and skinny.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 06:04 PM »
I found this interesting site....http://www.roughfish.com/content/view/141/70/ It has some pretty good info for rough fish ID.

We went out on Saturday again and hammered them. I wasn't paying close attention to numbers, but we got 12-15 fish in three hours. I caught one that was super huge. It was the biggest redhorse I have ever seen and my personal best. I forgot the camera at home, bummer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.