FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Heaven and High Water  (Read 581 times)

bogtrotter

Heaven and High Water
« on: Jul 10, 2021, 04:28 PM »
Today was just about as close to heaven as it gets, weatherwise - - partly to mostly sunny, upper 70's, with just the kiss of a cooling breeze.

But, with all the rain we've had this past week, I knew streamfishing would be extremely challenging, to put it mildly.

The rivers were just ridiculously high, and even the smaller brooks were blown out.

I fished Hudson Brook in the Natural Marble Bridge State Park in North Adams without success this morning. 

I focused on two relative backwaters, and briefly had a trout on, but it got away and didn't return.

So I drove to Fish Pond (Windsor Lake) and fished there for a while  and did a bit better - - fifteen sunfish and five perch (biggest 10").

But I couldn't let go of my obsession with catching a trout on a stream, so I headed back to Hudson Brook, and found not one but two slack water spots that I had passed over before. 

At the first one (below a small dam/waterfall), I landed two browns (one 8" and one 9") and five brookies (smallest 4" and biggest 12").

At the second (a bit further downstream, in the "swimming hole" below another dam/waterfall), I reeled in another  (10") brown.

Still not quite satisfied, I drove to the North Hoosic, below the roll dam and above the Eclipse Mill dam.

Casting into a slow spot near the southern end of the sandbar island between the two dams, I hooked a 14" rainbow, which put up a respectable battle, before finally beaching and releasing him to fight another day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.