FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fish Kill Little Calumet  (Read 2761 times)

taxid

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

LakeMan999

Re: Fish Kill Little Calumet
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2019, 12:20 PM »
Cyanide and Ammonium-Nitrate spill, apparently.

fishcrazy

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2019, 03:01 PM »
I love living in the armpit of America. I probably shouldn’t drink tap water for a few

abishop

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2019, 03:25 PM »
Not sure why they are calling burns ditch the calumet. Do they run together????? I dont think so?????? Seen a few floating a couple weeks ago. Thought they were just some early spawners dying quicker than usual.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2019, 04:56 PM »
Cyanide and Ammonium-Nitrate spill, apparently.

Cyanide certainly but I also know fish are extremely sensitive to anything that has ammonia in it. In parts per million!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MC_angler

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2019, 09:13 PM »
Not sure why they are calling burns ditch the calumet. Do they run together????? I dont think so?????? Seen a few floating a couple weeks ago. Thought they were just some early spawners dying quicker than usual.

Burns Ditch is from the lake to where the east and west branch of the Little Calumet meet each other. So yes, Burns Ditch is the Little Calumet River, essentially

abishop

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2019, 07:05 AM »
Burns Ditch is from the lake to where the east and west branch of the Little Calumet meet each other. So yes, Burns Ditch is the Little Calumet River, essentially
ty, didn't know that. Learn something new every day. LOL

LundProv

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2019, 09:11 PM »
Disgusting!!!  --- I have lived in the region my whole life and am absolutely grateful for the jobs and the industry plays here but this business of "accidentally" polluting Lake Michigan has got to stop!  Goodness gracious -- this is 2019 and the frequency of these accidents is ridiculous...   From what I read in the local paper this morning, there was suspicion of this spill as early as Monday of this week.  It wasn't until Thursday or so before it was fully reported.  In the meantime, people were exposed and the habitat of millions of organisms were compromised to the point of death.  We as responsible taxpayers are supposed to TRUST these industries and their devices to INSURE these events do not occur.  Historically, the event is slowly downplayed and the industry that is making good profits pays a "fine" and supposedly all is well.  We as sportspeople and those who simply enjoy the outdoors are once again on the short end of the stick and in my opinion totally disrespected and ignored.  I really don't know what type of punishment or penalty should be implemented but the lack of accountability by major industry on our lakefront is DISGUSTING!  Sorry for spouting off but most of us really enjoy the lakefront and tolerate and understand the necessity of our industrial neighbors.  We wish they would respect our environment.

taxid

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2019, 07:09 AM »
According to the article above this is not the first time and they are allowed to dump in amounts of cyanide in smaller quantities. What?!

But then Indiana is pretty lax on industry and I think IDEM is a joke. I've reported pigs, cattle, and horses fenced in around lake inlets in Lagrange country and nothing is done. IIRR I didn't even get a response.

fishinpo1e1

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2019, 08:03 PM »
Disgusting!!!  --- I have lived in the region my whole life and am absolutely grateful for the jobs and the industry plays here but this business of "accidentally" polluting Lake Michigan has got to stop!  Goodness gracious -- this is 2019 and the frequency of these accidents is ridiculous...   From what I read in the local paper this morning, there was suspicion of this spill as early as Monday of this week.  It wasn't until Thursday or so before it was fully reported.  In the meantime, people were exposed and the habitat of millions of organisms were compromised to the point of death.  We as responsible taxpayers are supposed to TRUST these industries and their devices to INSURE these events do not occur.  Historically, the event is slowly downplayed and the industry that is making good profits pays a "fine" and supposedly all is well.  We as sportspeople and those who simply enjoy the outdoors are once again on the short end of the stick and in my opinion totally disrespected and ignored.  I really don't know what type of punishment or penalty should be implemented but the lack of accountability by major industry on our lakefront is DISGUSTING!  Sorry for spouting off but most of us really enjoy the lakefront and tolerate and understand the necessity of our industrial neighbors.  We wish they would respect our environment.

"It wasn't until Thursday or so before it was fully reported.  In the meantime, people were exposed and the habitat of millions of organisms were compromised to the point of death. "

If I'm not mistaken, the winds turned northerly near the time of the spill. This would have bottled up the flow of the ditch and slowed up the dilution of the chemicals spilled. Just take your time reporting a spill and then downplay it and where is anybody's proof to the contrary. And so what if the public is exposed to these toxic chemicals for a few more days. We could get away with it and murder too.

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Article in the paper yesterday, said contaminants were down to acceptable levels.  Do they have to pay to replace the wildlife they killed?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.