FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 624851 times)

NYtrout27

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #660 on: Oct 13, 2011, 07:27 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, what are those tied on?  I recognise the cone head, but what is it and the marabou tied to?  A piece of tubing or a spring?

They are on proflytyer micro tubes.
"Nothing grows faster than a fish from when it bites until it gets away."

OTIS

« Reply #661 on: Oct 13, 2011, 12:11 PM »
Thanks!  Looks like a pretty cool system.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

NYtrout27

« Reply #662 on: Oct 13, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Thanks!  Looks like a pretty cool system.

I like them.  I am still using up the starter kit I got.  I think that I will continue to buy the pro tubes for all the tube flies I tie.  They are a bit pricey but I have found a couple ways to save on them already.  Instead of buying the weighs for them just use wraps of lead wire (or substitute if you wish) just like you would on any regular fly you are adding weight to get it down.  And you can buy the larger tubes and trim them down and get a hook guide (junction tubing) out of them.  The tubes are pretty much all the same price so you are saving buy a dozen hook guide for $6.  I got mine from deschutesangler.com, check em out they have a good selection.  The official proflytyer website is not complete is why I gave you a store's site to check out.

fishgalore

« Reply #663 on: Oct 13, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Been playing with my camera and nursing a bad foot. I developed Plantar Faciitis in my right foot back when I was a rabid tennis player. From time to time it flares up. Wading around the rocks and such aggravates it. So does work, it seems :-\ But then, work aggravates everything.

I hadn't run in over a week, but managed a short jaunt the past couple of mornings.Man I missed it.

It'll turn around in a couple of weeks. It always does.Till then...my feets will feel old :-\

I've been refurbishing one of my South Bend Fly reels. I'm happy with the way the main frame came out, but I'm gonna strip and redo the spool. I can't help it....it needs to be right.
RG

I was out of work in late August early Sept. for the same issue. Did the Doc give you a boot to help stretch the tendons? Or do you do stretch exercises instead? The boot is easy.  I'm supposed to do it daily, both feet, for 1 qtr of a football game...........1st quarter right foot then 2nd left foot.

I was gonna try to tie everyday but to much work is preventing it right now. Maybe I can tomorrow for a bit. Any suggestions on an easy Stonefly for the SR when I return in November?

NYtrout27

« Reply #664 on: Oct 13, 2011, 07:02 PM »
I am gonna try this pattern when I get a chance.

http://jakevillwock.blogspot.com/2011/04/thumpin-jack-flash-stonefly.html

NYtrout27

« Reply #665 on: Oct 14, 2011, 08:38 AM »
As I think you all know I am fairly new to tying.  I started in march of this year.  I have recently started tying tube flies for steelhead.  I am trying to decide where to draw the line.  I got the proflytyer tube kit for my bday and bought about $80 worth of materials to die up a few different patterns but only in a couple colors.  Now I have been looking at a bunch more patterns I want to tie and multipule colors.  Most of the materials needed, I do not have. For example arctic fox, finn raccon, more marabou & lady amherst to name a few.  Well I went online to start my order.  Some of the things I will get locally but this was mostly to get an idea of what it was going to cost.  Well now my shopping cart is up to $407  :o  This would be enough material to prolly tie a life time of tube flies for me and still be able to hand a few out.  So at what point to you call this a hobbie or an obsession?  If I do something I like to do it 110% so I want each pattern I tie in a few colors is why it gets so d**n expensive.  To justify it I am telling my self that I will also use a lot of these materials for pike flies and it will be enough for a long long time! 

I'm sure I could get away with out but tying has very quickly became an obsession lol. 

fishgalore

« Reply #666 on: Oct 14, 2011, 09:45 AM »
As I think you all know I am fairly new to tying.  I started in march of this year.  I have recently started tying tube flies for steelhead.  I am trying to decide where to draw the line.  I got the proflytyer tube kit for my bday and bought about $80 worth of materials to die up a few different patterns but only in a couple colors.  Now I have been looking at a bunch more patterns I want to tie and multipule colors.  Most of the materials needed, I do not have. For example arctic fox, finn raccon, more marabou & lady amherst to name a few.  Well I went online to start my order.  Some of the things I will get locally but this was mostly to get an idea of what it was going to cost.  Well now my shopping cart is up to $407  :o  This would be enough material to prolly tie a life time of tube flies for me and still be able to hand a few out.  So at what point to you call this a hobbie or an obsession?  If I do something I like to do it 110% so I want each pattern I tie in a few colors is why it gets so d**n expensive.  To justify it I am telling my self that I will also use a lot of these materials for pike flies and it will be enough for a long long time! 

I'm sure I could get away with out but tying has very quickly became an obsession lol. 

You pretty much answered your own question...........obsession. I'd advise that you decide specifically what you really need as opposed to what you really want and trim that $407 down a bit..........do it in increments. Tie some patterns now and put some off til later........over the winter for example. Maybe you can budget $100/mo. for the next 4 months and still have what you want for the Spring. I have similar tendencies but things more important than tying often come first. That will effect my improvement somewhat but I do plan on spending 5-7 hrs/week on it over the winter. Time management is one of the bigger issues here IMO. You might be able to plan days and hours along with patterns to be more efficient. Like you I just started so I'm not speaking from tying experience but life experience. I took a 4 week basic class back in February and I probably have not done 50 hrs since then. A lot of my time is spent looking at the book to follow the steps delineated unless I tie with a buddy who is experienced and he can show me faster.

Another suggestion my buddy gave me is to look on e-bay, Craigslist and garage sales........sometimes someone is selling all kinds of stuff and real cheap. He bought tons of stuff that way and says he has a lifetime supply cheap. The only problem is the specific items you want may not be in those sales.

NYtrout27

« Reply #667 on: Oct 14, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Haha, I did kinda answer my own question.  Since I posted that, I have been searching around and already found a place to buy for example; arctic fox tail pieces for $2.25 vs $5.95 and the pro tube and cones for $1 cheaper per pack.  I have already cut $60 off. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #668 on: Oct 14, 2011, 04:05 PM »
$400...Haa  Ha Ha Haaaa  Hee Haw   Haaaaaa!

You're not even started yet ;D

I'll tidy up a bit tomorrow and take some pics. Whatever you do, don't start collecting fly reels :-\

Try a reverse stone fly ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #669 on: Oct 14, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Ebay is an excellent source for materials.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

NYtrout27

« Reply #670 on: Oct 14, 2011, 04:25 PM »
I'm just saying 400 for tube fly materials....I just ordered about half of what I had on the list from an other site and saved a bunch.  I like to kid myself a bit and say that I'm not gonna buy any more for a while.....I'll prolly order tomorrow lol.   ;D  

For the reverse stone fly...just do it backwards?  are there any tricks to it?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #671 on: Oct 14, 2011, 04:42 PM »
I understand now....Well, we have an abundance of empathy anyway.

It takes a few tries to get the reverse tying down. No tricks...just think backwards. ;D

RG

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #672 on: Oct 14, 2011, 07:10 PM »
NYTROUT     YOU  WILL  GO   FROM  TUBE  FLIES   TO  DRIES  TO  NYMPHS  TO  FOAM  IT  NEVER REALLY  ENDS   BUT  IT'S A  VERY  VERY  REWARDING  EXPERANCE 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #673 on: Oct 15, 2011, 01:40 AM »
By the way, tried the boot, super expensive shoe inserts, stretching  and everything in between. None of it helps really. It's tender for the first 20 or so steps in the morning and after I sit for a while at night. Feels better as I begin to run and exercise it. It'll go away in a month or so if I don't do something really stupid.

Great shoes are the best thing for it. I'm off to buy a pair of Danner boots later today.

Good excuse eh? ;D

RG

fisher7450

• If theres a fish in the water I'll fish it
« Reply #674 on: Oct 15, 2011, 05:24 AM »
 its an addiction even when you don't fly fish
A Great Fishermen doesn't need the best equipment.
A Great Fishermen makes the best of what they have.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.