FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623842 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #810 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:16 PM »
very  cool  ernye   hey  were  you  down  on  the   river  today just  above  the   old  dug  out?
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #811 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Trap I think we walked right by each other in the west side parking lot. I was the goof carrying a book bag two rods a net and two pairs of cleats.

How'd ya make out today?

bb4

« Reply #812 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Trapper,
Good to see you again today. Thanks for the help.
Bill

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #813 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:43 PM »
today  i  have  moved  the  feathers  and fur  over  and  working on something  totally  different  .....  i  got  the  idea  from   watching  clips  on u tube  and  i'm having  fun  ...  i wanted  to share  this  and  if  anyone  wants a  templete  your  more then welcome  ... this  is a  grandpa and  grand  daughter  joint  project!  were going to make  a  couple  for  jigging  and  5  for  tip  downs !

our prototype

no  RG i'm not  going  to use  bambo  blanks  like  the  orginal  but  fiberglass  ones  from net craft  ...i  know  it  should  be  in ice  shanty  but were  going  to   tie a  green hornet  fly too!
I think i remeber Gustefson saying"The green hornet has caught more fish than you have ever lied about!"
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

trapper2000

« Reply #814 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Trap I think we walked right by each other in the west side parking lot. I was the goof carrying a book bag two rods a net and two pairs of cleats.

How'd ya make out today?

lol   yup  ....  next  time   we   have  to  talk  and  maybe  get  a  coffee  one  smaller  brown  today    but  i  had  a  nice  time  meeting  scott  and  the  red  sox  fans  ....  fun  joking  and  glad  to  see  they  all  got   fish  ...bb4  the  pleasure   was  all mine  i   enjoy  your  company  i'm  just  sorry  i  was  feeling  a  little   down  i  been   resting  and  staying  warm  lol   ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #815 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:12 PM »
I think i remeber Gustefson saying"The green hornet has caught more fish than you have ever lied about!"

Yes he did.....  Thanks for lunch today....  Tomorrow its on me...   Got A big bag of feathers and stuff for fly tying....   Text ya in the morning...... ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishhooker

« Reply #816 on: Nov 23, 2011, 02:18 PM »

Various ESL's

My Foam Bodied Dry Flies
Enjoy outdoor literature? Check out my blog here: www.artrafus.blogspot.com

trapper2000

« Reply #817 on: Nov 23, 2011, 04:33 PM »
fishhooker   very  impressive!   great  job :thumbup_smilie:

fishhooker

« Reply #818 on: Nov 23, 2011, 06:43 PM »
Thanks.  I can't wait to see if anything bites that green and white ESL.  The dries will be out of action until spring though.  I couldn't keep enough of those foam body flies this year, everyone loved them.  They LOOK great, but I haven't had time enough to prove their worth on the river.

trapper2000

« Reply #819 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:14 PM »
i'm  sure  you'll  have  great  luck  with  it!   i  really  like  the   foam  bodied  mayflies  ...i  tyied   some  this  year  myself  and   done  great  on  trout  and   bluegils  with  them ,  i  like  alot  of  davie  MC Phail foam   flies  too  ...great  job  !

KingPerch

« Reply #820 on: Nov 24, 2011, 02:02 PM »

Yes he did.....  Thanks for lunch today....  Tomorrow its on me...   Got A big bag of feathers and stuff for fly tying....   Text ya in the morning...... ;D ;D ;D
RD...You got KP Sr. and KP Jr. mixed up again!! ;D Thanks for the fly tying goods!! Already at the bench today using some of those goose feathers!! ;) I have a nice perch christmas theme fly that RG posted how to tie a few days ago. I'll post the perch fly tomorrow!! Happy Thanksgiving to all!! ;)--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

fishhooker

« Reply #821 on: Nov 24, 2011, 03:08 PM »
fishhooker   very  impressive!   great  job :thumbup_smilie:

Thanks again. The best thing about those foam body mayflies is the way they stay floating without having to re-dress every ten casts.  The bodies have to look enticing to fish...like little colored maggots with wings. 

ahhhh if only trout were limited to eat  only what came down from the sky...

Which brings me to a question I wanted to ask my fellow fly tiers anf fly fishermen. Many of you steelhead fish in the great lakes, and as we all know, dry fly fishing for steelhead is d**n near impossible.  Somtimes nymphs seem a little off the menu.  Well anyways heres the question:  What is a greater experience? Catching Freakishly HUGE trout on eggs and nymphs, or supple stream or pond trout on dry flies?

As much as I LOVE Steelhead, and the fight in catching them, I don't think I'd trade it for catching fish on dry flies.

Any thoughts?

trapper2000

« Reply #822 on: Nov 24, 2011, 05:13 PM »
very  interesting  and   i   think i have  a  "possiable"  answer  ....  i have  caught  a  many  a   steelhead  on  nymphs   an   egg  patterens   even on  muddlers  i admit  i have  never  got  a  steelie  on a  dry fly ...how  ever  i  had   steelies   grap   floats  float  fishing!   and  i know  how  hungry  and  aggressive  a  steelhead  is   in  late  april  and  may  "falling  back"  .....  i'm  going  to  start  carring  some   drys  that  time  of  the  year  ....  will it  work  ...maybe   but  it  will  be  fun  tring  ;D

fishhooker

« Reply #823 on: Nov 24, 2011, 05:33 PM »
I've seen them hit big flies skated with a spey rod, but thats not exactly pure dry fly fishing. Fly Fisherman magizine had an article last month on great lakes steelhead on dry flies.  They were fishing shallow tribs in clear water. It's worth a try, maybe throw a hexegenia at them, or make somthing custom.

The Duke of Esox

« Reply #824 on: Nov 30, 2011, 06:32 PM »
Hey here's a question for you fly guys:  If you're swinging flies across a channel, do you prefer the egg patterns or streamer-type flies? 

I'm new to fly fishing and have really been getting into it - looking forward to learning to tie my own sometime soon, probably over the winter. 

This was my first full season fishing flies for steelhead on the Salmon River, and I spent most of it swinging egg patterns because that seems to be the convention.  But I question how effective it is to fish egg patterns without a natural drift downstream (i.e. swinging them)...never had any luck doing this, and it seems like lots of guys kill the steelhead using centerpin or bottom-bouncing rigs that allow a more natural drift.  Which of course you can't really do with a skagit/spey setup with poly leader....  So this past weekend I fished only streamers because I thought these flies provide a better presentation given the technique...things like egg sucking leaches, big buggers, sculpins, other funky streamers. 

At one point after swinging all sorts of egg patterns and mixing in a couple nymphs, I tied on a chartreuse body/orange head egg sucking leach and a steelie nailed it just a couple seconds after it hit the water.  Same water I had made maybe 20 previous casts to...no doubt that the fly had something to do with it.  First steelhead for me, so it was pretty rewarding given all the time and learning I've put in on the river! 

I guess my question is:  I want to begin tying my own and will be doing this soon - would it be better to learn to tie streamer/spey flies if I will be fishing a skagit or spey setup?  I definitely want to focus my ties and fishing on what's most effective...any advice from the guys out there???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.