FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623884 times)

KingPerch

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1035 on: Apr 03, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Beautiful flies Ernye!!!! ;)--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #1036 on: Apr 04, 2012, 05:04 AM »
Amazing looking stuff gentleman.

Bartman44

« Reply #1037 on: Apr 04, 2012, 08:46 PM »
Nice ties everyone. Here's what worked for me yesterday in the Catskills in the middle of a massive Hendrickson hatch. It's a cripple pattern- zelon tail, brown or quill body, compadun deer tied forward with a few turns of hackle. That's it. I thought at first there were to many flies on the water but it was crazy watching the fish repeatedly pick out this fly among dozens of duns right along side it. Started the day at dawn and hooked up with some nice fish nymphing but the monster hatch came at 1pm. Get down there now. Enjoy the pics.

Bart

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1038 on: Apr 05, 2012, 02:24 AM »
Nothing like flies that really fish. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wiredstone

« Reply #1039 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:06 PM »
 :thumbup_smilie:
wooo fish on. Never mind

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #1040 on: Apr 06, 2012, 12:08 PM »
BARTMAN, There was a massive hendrickson hatch here on Oriskany Creek, i was just curious, do you guys get such prolific hendrickson hatches this early down your way ? Ive seen them early april many times but ussually the bigger hatches happen later in april here...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Bartman44

« Reply #1041 on: Apr 07, 2012, 09:00 AM »
BARTMAN, There was a massive hendrickson hatch here on Oriskany Creek, i was just curious, do you guys get such prolific hendrickson hatches this early down your way ? Ive seen them early april many times but ussually the bigger hatches happen later in april here...

No, this is first for me. Typically, the masssive hendickson hatches come off in the Catskills from 4/15 to 5/1 but with the low water and that week-long heat wave we had a few weeks back, it's happening very early.  One thing I haven't seen yet are the apple caddis which usually pop with the hendricksons.  

As a side note, I was down there with my son on 3/23 and we did well on top (about 10 fish) on blue quills. Late March dry fly action - crazy.

I'm headed down there again this coming week    :D     

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #1042 on: Apr 07, 2012, 12:29 PM »
There was a hendrickson hatch on Chittenango creek earlier this week.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #1043 on: Apr 09, 2012, 02:41 PM »
No, this is first for me. Typically, the masssive hendickson hatches come off in the Catskills from 4/15 to 5/1 but with the low water and that week-long heat wave we had a few weeks back, it's happening very early.  One thing I haven't seen yet are the apple caddis which usually pop with the hendricksons.  

As a side note, I was down there with my son on 3/23 and we did well on top (about 10 fish) on blue quills. Late March dry fly action - crazy.

I'm headed down there again this coming week    :D     

I assumed that was the case... Gonna have to go out a little more prepared than usual this year... I like to fish behind spawning suckers this time of year bouncing weighted streamers around but it looks like the suckers spawned early and its gonna be straight into mayfly nymphs now ....
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1044 on: Apr 10, 2012, 06:04 PM »
Another one in the box ;D

A new 9', 5wt TFO Axiom. All wrapped up.  ;D A replacement (reliever really) for my good old Pfluger Medalist IM6. I'm gonna give that rod some much needed TLC next.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #1045 on: Apr 10, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Nice work RG, we can never have enough fishing toys - or should I say tools.

M Finn, don't put the streamers away. I've actually changed plans for tomorrow and won't be heading to the Catskills with the wind but I'll be chucking streamers tomorrow a little closer to home. I get some giants this time of year and I'm hoping for a little rain tomorrow.

Bart

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #1046 on: Apr 11, 2012, 05:44 AM »
Nice work RG, we can never have enough fishing toys - or should I say tools.

M Finn, don't put the streamers away. I've actually changed plans for tomorrow and won't be heading to the Catskills with the wind but I'll be chucking streamers tomorrow a little closer to home. I get some giants this time of year and I'm hoping for a little rain tomorrow.

Bart

Streamers never leave my fly box......     8)

Bartman44

« Reply #1047 on: Apr 12, 2012, 07:37 PM »
Streamers never leave my fly box......     8)

Well I did fish closer to home but the streamer strategy didn't pan out. Three hours of casting and nothing but a sore arm so I started second guessing my choice of not heading to the Catskills. I decided to switch rivers hoping for some bug activity and made the right call. About 12:30 a few mayflies passed by and by 2:00 the hatch was heavy with no shortage of targets. Ended up fooling 7 but many more made a fool of me. Successful flies were the simple CDC emerger and a pheasant bug nymph tied as a dropper about 2 inches behind the dry fly. With all this mayfly action I may forget about streamers for a while.

wiredstone

« Reply #1048 on: Apr 16, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Have been trying a new pattern of the olive pheasant tail with olive d-rib for a body. Trout are killing them. ;D

wooo fish on. Never mind

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #1049 on: Apr 17, 2012, 05:25 AM »
:thumbup_smilie:

Yah i was out yesterday and there were 3 different mayflies hatching and the fish wefent on any of them...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.