FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623838 times)

Bluegillonafly

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1335 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:50 PM »
What hook do you guys use for small (#10) cork/foam poppers?  I presume something fine wire as I tried a regular hook and it didn't float too well.  How about the Mustad 33903 kink shanked?

bait-taker

« Reply #1336 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Tied some dark green woolly buggers. Starting of easy after a 20 year tying hiatus. 8) Anyone have suggestions on some type of portable tying desk to organize things but still allow me to set it on my lap to watch SU basketball on tv from my easy chair? ???

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1337 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:14 PM »
What hook do you guys use for small (#10) cork/foam poppers?  I presume something fine wire as I tried a regular hook and it didn't float too well.  How about the Mustad 33903 kink shanked?
TMC 2312 or similar. 1x fine wire. I also get some N-Curve hooks off ebay that are fine wire and have a nice shape for foam bugs.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1338 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Tied some dark green woolly buggers. Starting of easy after a 20 year tying hiatus. 8) Anyone have suggestions on some type of portable tying desk to organize things but still allow me to set it on my lap to watch SU basketball on tv from my easy chair? ???
I'd have to put a tv on my bench ...if I watched basketball.

I spent the day remodeling my "hobby room". Added a bunch of new shelving and converted a magnifying swing arm light to LED. My bench was getting too crowded. I'm getting ready to build a couple of rods. A 6' 6" 2wt and a 6' 6" ultra light spinning rod. I bought 2 IM6 blanks to make a set of small stream rods.

I'm going to try REC titanium guides on the fly rod with a Strubel seat and a flor grade reverse half wells grip. The spinner will have Fuji Concept Alconite guides and a Fuji BVG contour grip and seat.

I love building rods and tying flies in the winter and using them all summer. ;D

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1339 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:07 PM »
Look out Bluegills... The "Gurgle-Pop" in size #10:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1340 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Nice bugs!

I'm deep into the 2 rods I''m working on. I popped for a new drying setup and a couple of other items that will make it easier.
Decided to do a diamond wrap on each as a signature. We'll see :-\

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1341 on: Feb 17, 2013, 01:38 PM »
Added a power wrapper to my rod building stuff.

And a new drying motor setup,

Finally started putting finish on my set of stream rods. They're both 2wt, 6'-6" blanks. One a fly rod, the other a spinning rod.

Is spring here yet? ???

RG

Boomer

« Reply #1342 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:14 AM »
I was at a locl shop today and found some rattles used on bass jigs or with worm fishing. I was wondering if anyone had ever tied these on something like a wolly-bugger?  I thought the rattle may imitate the sound of a crawdad crawling along.  If I do this should I glue and wrap the rattle on or just wrap it???

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1343 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:13 AM »
RG....Nice!!  I built a 7' ultralite out of a 3 wt blank last year.  What a blast for crappie & gills with a jig/bobber.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1344 on: Feb 18, 2013, 05:46 PM »
 I guess age has a grip on my grip these days. I cramp up pretty quickly when I'm hand wrapping, so, that was my excuse . My Bride believed me.  She's never argued with me about me pursuing my hobbies. Guess that's why we've lasted 43 years. Gotta love her.

I'm getting used to the power wrapper. It's certainly different. Having the rod in a stable, locked down state and applying the wrap is opposite from holding the rod and totally controlling the wrap.

Next up is a 9', 7wt Martin fly rod I bought at a garage sale for $3. I'm going to turn it into a crappie rod. I bought it for the reel. A good old Martin, which I gifted to a friend who was just starting out fly fishing. Got a next to new WF7F Cortland 444 besides.  A good buy all around.

I have about 2  months to get my rod building under control...then.....I gotta tie some bugs ;D ( My grandson calls them "bugs")

I find myself daydreaming about wading warm streams. I can see the hatches.......It's enslavement..the best addiction.... :)

Lot's of "I's" in this post...Self-centered?

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1345 on: Feb 18, 2013, 05:50 PM »
I was at a locl shop today and found some rattles used on bass jigs or with worm fishing. I was wondering if anyone had ever tied these on something like a wolly-bugger?  I thought the rattle may imitate the sound of a crawdad crawling along.  If I do this should I glue and wrap the rattle on or just wrap it???
Can you post a pic of the rattle in relation to a dime or something? Sounds like it's got possibilities.

RG

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Boomer

« Reply #1347 on: Feb 20, 2013, 01:25 PM »
If you check the link in the previous post they look like the ones on the left.  They are about one-half inch long and have four little balls in them.  I bought some and when I get some time - hopefully soon - I will try and post a pick or two.  I just can't imagine that a smallie would not like a little clacking noise from a wolly-bugger.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1348 on: Feb 28, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Gotcha! Great possibilities.

Well the rod set is finished. I'll post some pics when I get time to take them. Back on the bench now catching up on some carp flies. Gonna need to get small for the new 2wt. Better have that eye appointment next week. I'm gonna need a 3 power bump in my bifocals for #22 gnats ::).

Anyone else tying?

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1349 on: Feb 28, 2013, 05:17 PM »
By the way...are those glass tubes? I can make them with glass tube and a propane torch. Just like neon ;D
I'm a "Light Bulb Guy"
 ;D

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.