FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sask's Fish Culture Station  (Read 4148 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Sask's Fish Culture Station
« on: May 21, 2006, 10:00 PM »
Yesterday{ Saturday} I paid a visit to Saskatchewan's fish culture station in Fort Qu'Appelle.

When you enter the building you see a wall with replicas of most of Sask's gamefish.
As you enter the main building there are two tanks set up. In the first tank there are 8 lake sturgeon a foot long and 4 fingerling walleye.

Sturgeon are 200 million years old, making them some of the oldest fish around. The lake sturgeon population in my province are a fraction of they once were due to over fishing and degraded quality of the river environment. The station rears sturgeon but they seem to be the hardest fish to collect eggs and raise in captivity. The sturgeon do not breed until they are 20 years old and then only every 5 years.

The second tank contained rainbow trout fingerlings.

The tour guide then showed me where the gamefish eggs are incubated and young are reared until they are ready to be stocked in the lakes. It's amazing that the fry I saw who were no more than a string with eyes could develop into the trophies of the future. 8)

I then entered the large pool area where some of the breed stock trout were kept.

This pool contained a couple hundred rainbow, brown and brook trout. Most of them were in the 10-15 lb range with an odd 20 lb. trout mixed in. :o

I left the station and after seeing all those fish thought I would try some fishing of my own.

I fished for a few hours and had several nibbles from some walleye but none of them committed.
A saw a large group of angler moving up stream and they were having alot better luck than me. :laugh:

I will test my luck again tomorrow and see if the fish will cooperate. :)

WW

carpcatcher

Re: Sask's Fish Culture Station
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Nice pic's WW, hope they didn't stock any fingerling's in the water where the last pic. was taken.
         Jim
Love 2 fish

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:58 PM »
those are some sweet pictures

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Water Wolf

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 02:02 PM »
thanks carpcatcher and pikemaster.

LOL, you are right carpcatcher, even the larger 1 lb hatchery fish would not be safe from those highly skilled anglers. :laugh:

WW

Fishingking

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 09:13 PM »
Great pics Gotta give it too you Canucks you guys up there always keep things extremely clean :)
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

Water Wolf

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 11:19 PM »
LOL, thanks Fishingking. :)

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.