FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I'm Hooked On This Bread!  (Read 14089 times)

gotagetm

Re: I'm Hooked On This Bread!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2020, 05:33 PM »

I could eat this whole darn thing!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2020, 03:12 AM »
Looks delicious. I love a recipe that just works.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:25 AM »
I've switched over to the "poor man's Dutch oven" method.
2 nonstick loaf pans clipped with binder clips.

Same bread mixture except I've been letting mine proof for 4-5 hours. No preheating of the pan is required. Just preheat the oven to 400* ( not 450). Bake 30-35 minutes.

Makes beautiful sandwich bread.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gotagetm

« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Nice RG I made another loaf yesterday in my cast iron Dutch oven,only problem is the bottom gets alot harder than rest of bread
I'm guessing it's from the real hot bottom of pot
Gonna try your method. 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Looks delicious....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:50 PM »
It definitely came out more evenly cooked in the loaf pans at a lower temperature.

Rg

gotagetm

« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2020, 05:05 PM »
nice....thanks gonna try this weekend

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2020, 03:13 AM »
I switched over to a 3 quart Corning casserole lined with parchment , covered at 400* for 30 minutes. Then 10-15 minutes uncovered. Best results yet.

Rg

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2020, 10:23 PM »
Rg , do you by chance watch Artissan bread making with Steve on You tube ?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: Apr 05, 2020, 04:01 AM »
I've seen his videos.  And a dozen others as well. He's a pretty meticulous guy.

My conclusion is that this method is so forgiving you can make it just about any way you want. The method I posted here is what I've settled on. Mostly because my Bride and I really like the taste and texture of this recipe. Also the round loaf done in the casserole lined with parchment ends up with a nice crispy crust all around the loaf. I've let it fire for anywhere from 3-12 hours and can't tell the difference in the finished loaf.

Only thing I do that seemed to make a smoother textured loaf is I knead the dough gently about 10-15 times before putting it in the casserole to proof a second time. It's more of kneading it into a ball than anything else. Pretty much the same thing I do to pasta dough.

I played around with the "poor man's Dutch oven" a couple times. Makes a good sandwich loaf but comes out a bit more dense than the casserole.
 For your rolls....did you use a sheet pan of water in the oven while you were baking them?

I've been trying to think of a way to make hot dog rolls out of this dough.
I'm happy everyone is having fun with this.

Rg

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2020, 11:22 PM »
I did not use a pan of water, I'll try that next time. It was my first time trying it, I usually use our bread machine.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #26 on: Apr 06, 2020, 06:13 AM »
The added moisture will crisp the crust very nicely.

I'm on a mission to make hot dog and hamburger rolls today. We shall see!

Rg

seamonkey84

« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Local stores are out of flour and yeast  :cursing: :cursing: though I can get flour easy enough since my family owns a restaurant, but there’s still no bread yeast. I may have to sacrifice some of my wine yeast to do this with, though that is in short supply for me too. Not a huge fan of sourdough so not going there.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #28 on: Apr 19, 2020, 04:20 AM »
Buy your yeast online. I'm going to buy bulk soon. I have plenty for now.

Rg

seamonkey84

« Reply #29 on: Apr 27, 2020, 07:58 AM »
This video makes it look way simpler (and overall less messy) than I ever thought!  His other videos have the dry ingredients being mixed first, which is the way I’ve always been taught as well, but  doing it like this seems even easier.

Still looking for yeast however.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.