FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: HOW DOES THIS WORK?????  (Read 1887 times)

abishop

HOW DOES THIS WORK?????
« on: Jul 14, 2020, 12:39 PM »
If you think like me than you would think that with a north wind all the warmer water (on the surface), would be blown towards the shore. Like wise with a south wind the warmer waters would by spread out over the deeper waters?  Would like to be educated by the experts on this issue. NEED TO KNOW.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: HOW DOES THIS WORK?????
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Strong south winds on Lake Ontario will move the warm surface water deep causing an influx of cold deep water to line the shore. Seen it many times. 80 degree temps...shoreline water was up to 70.... 2 days later it's 50.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Spooled85

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2020, 03:17 PM »
Surface temps don't matter . Surface temp can be 80 and 2 foot down it can be 70

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2020, 04:29 PM »
Strong south winds on Lake Ontario will move the warm surface water deep causing an influx of cold deep water to line the shore. Seen it many times. 80 degree temps...shoreline water was up to 70.... 2 days later it's 50.

Rg

Water is densest at 39 degrees
This is why ice floats.
Water will stratify in “like” temps.
The heavier batch of water sinks and pushes the deep water upward.
This turnover is seen a few times in late summer.
We used to match the salmon staging at the heads of the rivers with the 3rd turnover.

jperch

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Water is densest at 39 degrees
This is why ice floats.
Water will stratify in “like” temps.
The heavier batch of water sinks and pushes the deep water upward.
This turnover is seen a few times in late summer.
We used to match the salmon staging at the heads of the rivers with the 3rd turnover.
It is true that water is most dense at around 39 degrees F.  It's a surprising property of water.  That is why under normal circumstances ice does not form on the bottom of a lake or pond first.  Good thing, or else most plant life would die in northern waters.  But ice floats because when water changes phase from liquid to solid it locks up into a crystalline structure that takes up more room than when in a liquid form, regardless of the temperature of the liquid water.  (An ice cube floats in water that has always been warmer than 39 degrees.)  The fact that water actually becomes more dense as it warms from 32 F to 39 F is an amazing property of water and not what one would expect.  As water warms above 39 degrees F it does what one would expect and becomes less dense.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2020, 09:59 PM »
Surface temps don't matter . Surface temp can be 80 and 2 foot down it can be 70

A local perch guide on facebook told me that the cooler water temp down low doesnt matter... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2020, 06:14 AM »
MY head is starting to hurt but this is some interesting info.

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2020, 07:40 AM »
It is true that water is most dense at around 39 degrees F.  It's a surprising property of water.  That is why under normal circumstances ice does not form on the bottom of a lake or pond first.  Good thing, or else most plant life would die in northern waters.  But ice floats because when water changes phase from liquid to solid it locks up into a crystalline structure that takes up more room than when in a liquid form, regardless of the temperature of the liquid water.  (An ice cube floats in water that has always been warmer than 39 degrees.)  The fact that water actually becomes more dense as it warms from 32 F to 39 F is an amazing property of water and not what one would expect.  As water warms above 39 degrees F it does what one would expect and becomes less dense.

I tried to present a simplified version, but yup!!
Thanks.

;)

Spooled85

« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2020, 02:11 PM »
A local perch guide on facebook told me that the cooler water temp down low doesnt matter... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
lol everyone has there opinion . To me IMO I would think 2 ft and below would make the most the way fish act

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.