FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spot Lock Trolling Motor - Which One?  (Read 12598 times)

bassin212

Spot Lock Trolling Motor - Which One?
« on: Jul 05, 2020, 11:26 AM »
Looking to upgrade my Bow Mounted Trolling Motor. Looking for the least expensive option for the spot lock feature. I'd like to keep my current 12V system and 55lb thrust is plenty. Any recommendations? The only issue is my Humminbird Unit at the console is a G2 Helix 7 si, non networking and my transducer on my current trolling motor is a cheap Humminbird Piranha, so that may be my next upgrade.

Mac Attack

Re: Spot Lock Trolling Motor - Which One?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2020, 12:33 PM »
Terrova
But I would upgrade to 24v
No matter how small your boat is.
More is better.
Good luck
You will love the ipilot

fishinator

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2020, 03:17 PM »
Terrova
But I would upgrade to 24v
No matter how small your boat is.
More is better.
Good luck
You will love the ipilot
actually it can be too much. I had my 24v on a small boat.  If the wind blew me off my spot really fast the motor would kick on high and about knock me on my butt.

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2020, 03:47 PM »
 My bud has a 17’ aluminum with a 70# and works great , the 1 on my boat also works well , if your up tight to the bow you may feel a jerk if your to over powered , I believe they have a chart recommendation

bassin212

« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2020, 05:26 PM »
I have a 16 foot aluminum SeaNymph and it has a 36lb thrust that gets the job done. So, 55lb thrust will be plenty. I will stick with 12 volt as I don't want to buy new batteries and chargers if I don't have to. In terms of trolling motors looks like the Terrova is limited in terms of what's out there.

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2020, 06:15 PM »
 seeing so your in a 16’r a 55 is more than adequate which the terrova has

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2020, 07:57 AM »
You might want to visit trollingmotors.net. Tons of information there. I am more than happy with my buying experience with them.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2020, 08:33 AM »
The biggest benefit of the 24 and 36v motors is more run time. It's a trolling motor, so most of the time you are way below the max speed anyway, no matter what thrust you have. But added run time is why I put a 36v on my boat. I can easily troll using my gas kicker for thrust and the elec for autopilot and cruise control for two 8 hour days and my boat is 3500lbs. It's a total game changer for how I use my boat. I can actually fish instead of drive the boat.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2020, 08:39 AM »
I have a 16 foot aluminum SeaNymph and it has a 36lb thrust that gets the job done. So, 55lb thrust will be plenty. I will stick with 12 volt as I don't want to buy new batteries and chargers if I don't have to. In terms of trolling motors looks like the Terrova is limited in terms of what's out there.

You'll be fine.  Run 2 group 34's and you'll have power for days.  I ran the 55lb thrust 13v on a 20ft alumacraft.  Now I run a 36v 110lb on my 19' Stratos. 

If you plan on using spot lock a lot in heavy current or waves then you will want more than 55lb.  For general use 55 will be fine. 

Hey Jethro....pretty sure the voltage differences relate to max thrust-ability not so much run time.  Run time is a matter of measuring max amp hour usage per model vs available amp hours on your batteries.

When I set up my 55lb the max amperage pulled was 20ah at full speed.  That said I did 2 batteries, 100amp hours each figuring 10 hrs of available power at full speed.  Then I tested trolling on calm days and had no issues doing 6-8hrs at 1.8 to 2.7.

So to pick batteries my recommation is to find your motors max amperage draw and then do the simple math.

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2020, 10:08 AM »
I have the 55 lb terrova with the link and all on my 18 foot alumicraft and it works great. Have a 6 ho kicker to move me a bit faster and use the bow mount to control the turns and all. Love the motor and bought this one as that is what I could afford and new the 55 would work since that was the old bow mount that I had before the upgrade

Jethro

« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2020, 11:02 AM »
Hey Jethro....pretty sure the voltage differences relate to max thrust-ability not so much run time.  Run time is a matter of measuring max amp hour usage per model vs available amp hours on your batteries.

Well, the way I understand it's both. With 3 group 31's I've got a lot more available amp hours than someone else with equivalent size batteries for a 12 or 24 v system, unless obviously they wire multiples in parallel. Yes, it's a 112lb thrust, so if I'm running at full prop speed I will run all those amp hours out earlier, but maybe I'm running my prop lower than someone with an 80lb thrust motor for a given speed? All I know is that when I'm just using it to auto-pilot I try to keep my kicker motor pushing so the prop is no more than 3 or 4.

Then again, I am an electrical ignoramus so I might have it all wrong. I was told by someone I trust that I will get more run time with a 36v system, and it seems right because I can troll for 2 full days straight without charging if I need to.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2020, 12:05 PM »
Ya it can go way deeper than my knowledge.  I suspect that the higher voltage systems draw less amperage at a given speed.  I haven't had a chance to run spot lock for 8 hrs yet but I will soon.

Also if anyone is interested I need to get rid of 3 group 27 agms (cabelas) to upgrade to lithium.

Jethro

« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2020, 01:42 PM »
Oooh, lithium, that will be nice. What are you finding for prices? I looked into it for my system and it looked like $500 per battery. And what is out there for an on board charger? Are they similar in price to what they have for wet cells?

TT

« Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2020, 01:59 PM »

Also if anyone is interested I need to get rid of 3 group 27 agms (cabelas) to upgrade to lithium.
. With lithium you might pick up another one or two mph. LOL

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2020, 02:46 PM »
Well, the way I understand it's both. With 3 group 31's I've got a lot more available amp hours than someone else with equivalent size batteries for a 12 or 24 v system, unless obviously they wire multiples in parallel. Yes, it's a 112lb thrust, so if I'm running at full prop speed I will run all those amp hours out earlier, but maybe I'm running my prop lower than someone with an 80lb thrust motor for a given speed? All I know is that when I'm just using it to auto-pilot I try to keep my kicker motor pushing so the prop is no more than 3 or 4.

Then again, I am an electrical ignoramus so I might have it all wrong. I was told by someone I trust that I will get more run time with a 36v system, and it seems right because I can troll for 2 full days straight without charging if I need to.

:thumbup_smilie:

yup

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.