FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A fish story  (Read 1288 times)

rivereddy

A fish story
« on: Aug 23, 2020, 11:02 AM »
That was then….
It was May of 1962 and 10 year old rivereddy was waiting his turn in the barber’s chair.  He found a copy of Popular Mechanics Magazine with an Indy car on the cover.  The byline read, “Is Indycar in a Rut?” The cover art showed a front engine “Offy” roadster being chased by two  rear engine Brabhams.  Shocked at the thought he picked up the copy intending to read the article. Then he saw a teaser for another…. “The Lures Fish Can’t Resist, Fishing’s Deadly Dozen.”  The article gave a brief history of each and how to fish it. Thus began his quest to possess each and every one…
   Eppinger Dardevle                       Johnson Silver Minnow
   South Bend Bass Oreno                L & S Mirrolure
   Heddon River Runt                      Abu Reflex Spinner
   Arbogast Jitterbug                        Arbogast Hawaiian Wiggler #2
          Kautsky Lazy Ike                         Helin Flatfish
          Creek Chub Pikie Minnow           Original Bomber

This is now…
55+ years later…  I can’t find my car keys or check book, but can rattle off the names of those lures faster than you and down a cold one. I did manage to accumulate the 12 and all was right with the world.  (Right, until another article in the August issue of “Life” magazine ignited an angling revolution with a piece on a fellow named Lauri Rapala.)  I used them regularly until they, and all of my other fishing tackle, were stolen from the back of my truck sometime in the mid 70s.  About 5 years ago I decided to again seek these lures out with the intent of putting together a memory box.  The challenge has been finding the lures in the same size and color as the originals.  Some, like daredevles, were easy finds - others like the bass-o-reno or the pikie are still unaccounted for since the original colors and wooden bodies are rather scarce or expensive collector’s pieces.

Anybody else got a fish story????

Fish on,

rivereddy

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: A fish story
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2020, 02:31 PM »
It’s a quest of sorts to rebuild a piece of the past.

When I was a lot younger....a LOT younger, I bought my first fly rod. A Fenwick FF865 fiberglass 2 piece rod. I had a Pfleuger Medalist reel on it and who know what for a fly line. I set out to learn to fly fish. My only flies were store bought and generally streamers. Mickey Finn’s in particular, and my leaders were 4 lb test Stren.

My casting resembled a Whirling  Dervish defending himself from a swarm of p1**ed off hornets. (Still does sometimes) But, I persisted and eventually caught fish on a fly.

Later in life, raising a couple great kids and working hard to support a family, I drifted away from fishing. But, fishermen are just that...for life.

As I got back into fly fishing and fishing In general, I started collecting rods and reels. One piece I was gifted was a South Bend #59 , 9 1/2’  Bamboo rod. Didn’t have the stature of an Orvis or T&T, but still a nice rod. It was destroyed in a basement flood and I was heartbroken. I wore the Fenwick rod out to the point that it finally split down the length of the tip section.

Now starts the quest. It took me several years but I replaced both those rods in my collection. I hate to admit what I paid for them. The Fenwick was factory new and perfect. The #59 needed some attention. I re-wrapped the entire rod. It’s not as original, but its mine.

My only issue now is who to leave them to. My Son isn’t a fisherman. Nor is my Grandson.

The quest continues.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Ice Dawg

Re: A fish story
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2020, 03:18 PM »
That was then….
It was May of 1962 and 10 year old rivereddy was waiting his turn in the barber’s chair.  He found a copy of Popular Mechanics Magazine with an Indy car on the cover.  The byline read, “Is Indycar in a Rut?” The cover art showed a front engine “Offy” roadster being chased by two  rear engine Brabhams.  Shocked at the thought he picked up the copy intending to read the article. Then he saw a teaser for another…. “The Lures Fish Can’t Resist, Fishing’s Deadly Dozen.”  The article gave a brief history of each and how to fish it. Thus began his quest to possess each and every one…
   Eppinger Dardevle                       Johnson Silver Minnow
   South Bend Bass Oreno                L & S Mirrolure
   Heddon River Runt                      Abu Reflex Spinner
   Arbogast Jitterbug                        Arbogast Hawaiian Wiggler #2
          Kautsky Lazy Ike                         Helin Flatfish
          Creek Chub Pikie Minnow           Original Bomber

This is now…
55+ years later…  I can’t find my car keys or check book, but can rattle off the names of those lures faster than you and down a cold one. I did manage to accumulate the 12 and all was right with the world.  (Right, until another article in the August issue of “Life” magazine ignited an angling revolution with a piece on a fellow named Lauri Rapala.)  I used them regularly until they, and all of my other fishing tackle, were stolen from the back of my truck sometime in the mid 70s.  About 5 years ago I decided to again seek these lures out with the intent of putting together a memory box.  The challenge has been finding the lures in the same size and color as the originals.  Some, like daredevles, were easy finds - others like the bass-o-reno or the pikie are still unaccounted for since the original colors and wooden bodies are rather scarce or expensive collector’s pieces.

Anybody else got a fish story????

Fish on,

rivereddy
I believe my niece has all of the lures you listed except the original bomber and more. My mother gave my father's tackle box to her and a couple of steel rods with Pflueger casting reels on them. Her husband filled both reels with kite string since he wasn't into fishing at that time. lol My niece claims to have every vintage lure that hangs in the Mitchell, SD Cabelas store and more. I did end up with a steel rod that belonged to my father and a Pflueger Supreme Free Spool casting reel.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.