FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628649 times)

Bluegillonafly

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1530 on: Jun 11, 2013, 03:56 PM »
You mean like this?

Was there last week for 2 days.  Hot & no wind - chasing schools on the surface.  What a blast!!

KingPerch

« Reply #1531 on: Jun 11, 2013, 04:18 PM »
You mean like this?

Was there last week for 2 days.  Hot & no wind - chasing schools on the surface.  What a blast!!
OMG!! You guys are killing me.. :-\....I have to wait till later in the year for the cape!! thanks guys!! ;D

Nice fish by the way Bluegill..... :thumbup_smilie:--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Bartman44

« Reply #1532 on: Jun 11, 2013, 05:10 PM »

Yes RG, got it all over my body this time, bad case. My son and I had the walleyes dialed in in the local pond but the water came up with the rains and I was forced to fish in the "bushes." I let my guard down and paid the price - two weeks of hell.

KP - I never really fished the Cape seriously, I've fished the Maine coast for many years in the dead of night fishing every nook and inlet from Kittery to Portland but the Cape has been for vacations. Now that I'm aging a bit "adventures" are anything different. Since I've never hit the canal I figured I could combine some am canal fishing with some R@R with the wife in the pm. I grabbed my son's old bike out of the attic and have it rigged "ditch" style with a long cast surf rod on one side and a 9weight fly rod on the other. I figured if the fish came close enough to shore, I could drop a fly on their face and hang on. At the very least, I'd get some exercise on the bike. Not like going to some remote destination but I like to try new things.

Perch Hound - thanks for the report, I heard there was a good push Memorial Day weekend but's it's been slow since.  I'm going to have to hold off now because I have commitments to my son's for the next month or so (which involve fishing, just not the salt)

Ok, back to the fly tying thread - let's see some stuff.                 

KingPerch

« Reply #1533 on: Jun 11, 2013, 05:47 PM »
Family time is quality time on the cape. KP Jr. and I have been known to take  fly rods and surf casters for the occasion though!! Good times!!-KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1534 on: Jun 12, 2013, 02:00 AM »
Well, my streams are high, muddy and not fishable right now. I was hoping for a break this week ...just a few days without rain to let things settle down. The rain has been steady. I guess I'll have to get out the Toon and take to the ponds one day this weekend. Gotta go kill a few bass Saturday though. Better tie up some clousers.  ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1535 on: Jun 14, 2013, 02:33 PM »
my  father and  i  would  fish  little  salmon river and  sage  creek  and  set in poision ivy and i have  never  gotten it!  but i seen people  get it and i  feel  for  them it looks  nasty 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

choo choo

« Reply #1536 on: Jun 14, 2013, 08:19 PM »
my  father and  i  would  fish  little  salmon river and  sage  creek  and  set in poision ivy and i have  never  gotten it!  but i seen people  get it and i  feel  for  them it looks  nasty 
Man you are lucky Trap...I get the ivy rash pretty easily...but not so bad of a bout with it now compared to when i was younger. My face was so bad one year,i missed a week of school due to my cheeks and eyelids were  almost  swollen  together ...., they were almost touching so i could barely see for a few days. The worst is  when you get it between the fingers and toes...the itching and oozing and burning after scratching it raw there is almost unbearable. I'd rather be bitten a thousand times by blackflies!!!
I'm fishing my way through life .

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1537 on: Jun 14, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Iv'e had my fair share of "the ivy"!
Choo-choo - you know how much there is down your neck of the woods! Worst I ever had it was when I was about 12. We were fishing up past the spring and I fell/slid from the guard rail to the river! Worse part of it was playing baseball in those hot sweaty poly uniforms! I either pitched or caught and sweat doing nothing!  ;D
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

choo choo

« Reply #1538 on: Jun 14, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Iv'e had my fair share of "the ivy"!
Choo-choo - you know how much there is down your neck of the woods! Worst I ever had it was when I was about 12. We were fishing up past the spring and I fell/slid from the guard rail to the river! Worse part of it was playing baseball in those hot sweaty poly uniforms! I either pitched or caught and sweat doing nothing!  ;D
ouch...that is a steep bank....ivy everywhere !! Salty sweat dripping into those raw ivy rash spots!! makes you want to scream!! :o :o
I'm fishing my way through life .

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1539 on: Jun 14, 2013, 10:12 PM »
ouch...that is a steep bank....ivy everywhere !! Salty sweat dripping into those raw ivy rash spots!! makes you want to scream!! :o :o

We have nicknames for all the spots... that place has always been "the slides"... We will have to sit around and compair names of spots; the slides, high bridge, vicks hole, the wall, haunted house, dark hole, days rift, the maples...
Hey, im not down there but Tank and a bunch of guys are down to camp - they are putting in a new water supply line from the well to cabin. Stop over, lunch is noonish- sausage and burgers, dinner is 6ish- canned venison meat sauce over pasta...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1540 on: Jul 23, 2013, 04:21 PM »
Geeze....nobody tying anything?

I've been replenishing my "Uglies"

I've been having great sport with these  and naturally....I just couldn't leave well enough alone.

How about an "Ausable Ugly Clouser" 

Love messing around at the bench. I think these ought to catch something.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

one last cast

« Reply #1541 on: Jul 23, 2013, 08:29 PM »
 :clapping: looking great rg!!  Just got a bunch of new supplies to start tying a few different patterns
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

MBrown4

« Reply #1542 on: Jul 23, 2013, 11:40 PM »
Nothing but bucktails for me lately.havent had the need to tie lately. Havent lost a fly though through lack of fishing

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1543 on: Jul 24, 2013, 01:36 AM »
I donated a few last weekend. Fishing a new stream which required some longer than usual casting, for me anyway. I took the old Pfleuger IM6 9' 5wt with a W5F. I'd have been better off with the TFO Axiom 5wt and a DT5F. A much faster rod which throws a long, tight loop. I love my old Pfleuger but, it's pretty soft and slow which equates to large loops and, in this case, flies in the bushes  :-\

I'm headed back to that spot this weekend. I'm still working on the Ugly Clouser pattern. There's a world of possibilities there. The fish in the stream I'm learning seemed to like lighter colored streamers so I'll be sorting through my stuff to whip some up.

RG

Bartman44

« Reply #1544 on: Jul 24, 2013, 04:06 PM »
Nice looking hybrids RG.

I haven't been tying but I'm looking for a material that I can tie a floating oyster cracker fly (the kind you put in your lobster bisque) to take large striped bass on the surface with. I need a material that will float, closely resemble an oyster cracker, and hold a stronger hook than I'd normally use for trout due to bigger quarry. Any thoughts on a material? Maybe foam cut into that shape?

Bart     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.