FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628610 times)

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2235 on: May 18, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Some rain would help. May get some tonight....h2l

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2236 on: May 18, 2015, 03:17 PM »
We had a couple good downpours here today so far. Got caught on my boat in one. Got wet but man it felt nice. Just got the boat in the garage when the sky opened up again.

Brought a dozen nice crappies home to boot ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2237 on: May 18, 2015, 04:11 PM »
We had a couple good downpours here today so far. Got caught on my boat in one. Got wet but man it felt nice. Just got the boat in the garage when the sky opened up again.

Brought a dozen nice crappies home to boot ;D

Rg

please send some rain this way...and maybe some of those crappie fillets too  ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2238 on: May 18, 2015, 05:08 PM »
Tied up up some 1/80th oz jigs for the fly rod tomorrow.

I was hammering them until I had to speed back to the launch. I looked over my shoulder to see some really ominous clouds aiming at me. Good thing I did. I got the boat in the garage as all hell broke loose.man what a downpour.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rp dog

« Reply #2239 on: May 18, 2015, 06:14 PM »
I use a lot of magenta vinyl lure and jig Finish on my ice jigs. Friend of mine swears by it he's always digging through my hook box. Hate to say it but your darn close. I'll get my boy to get my hook box out of top of barn and post pictures next time he's here.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2240 on: May 18, 2015, 06:23 PM »
The lighting is a little distorted. It's a 4500k LED. The head and thread are really hot pink.

Love to see the jigs though.

Rg

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2241 on: May 18, 2015, 07:11 PM »
you can get them down to 120th but I never seen a  reason ...nice RG  i'm playing with a  crawfish pattern
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rp dog

« Reply #2242 on: May 18, 2015, 08:06 PM »
Here are some I had kicking around the house. As you can see the eye of the hook is turned opposite of normal jig style hook. These are a twelve hook I have since then went to 14 and 16. Contacted mustad and they are going to send me some sample hooks to see if I can get what I need. Won't throw out old hook box with # on it again. Have no idea of weight as they are hand made and don't have a gram scale

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2243 on: May 19, 2015, 03:33 AM »
Those will work Rp!

Hey Trap, it's not illegal to take a picture of that crawfish patter and post it to,social media ;D

Rg

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2244 on: May 21, 2015, 06:21 AM »
My little guy swears by the hot pink calf tail jig .hi favorite color for fishing...i just looked only 2 left i better tie some up..thats my next project with him hes gonna learn how to tie jigs ;D

fenwick2010

« Reply #2245 on: May 21, 2015, 06:44 AM »
Well guys My buddie hooked me up with a basic vice since I dont have mine anymore along with some basics. Put together with the materials I had laying around , I have enough to tie up some steelie jigs, streamers and some egg imitations. I need to take a stop over at my uncle's  "hes practically a fly shop" and see if he can put together a starting kit with some dubbing, hackle and some basic peacock hurl , biots and such.

Ill have to order up some hooks and get a few different diam threads . Most of what I have is for heavier stuff so. I do have a nice ceramic bobbin but lack some of the tools still. Im getting there. Ive ruined many of the G/F good scissors over the years when I used to tie so they're all hidden and kept under lock and key  :'(

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2246 on: May 21, 2015, 08:46 AM »
Get a set of Dr Slicks from lLBean. $40 gets you 3 good pair for just about any tying you would do. I have  6 or 7 pair of the Dr's scissors. They work well and last a good long time..

Rg

fenwick2010

« Reply #2247 on: May 21, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Thanks, yea she always bought a really nice pair for her knitting so id get to them if she wasnt careful... I'll look into those you mentioned and maybe a kit with hackle pliers and the other things and sizes.

I have an ll bean not to far from here , never looked . Trout fitters is expensive ..

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2248 on: May 21, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Here are some I had kicking around the house. As you can see the eye of the hook is turned opposite of normal jig style hook. These are a twelve hook I have since then went to 14 and 16. Contacted mustad and they are going to send me some sample hooks to see if I can get what I need. Won't throw out old hook box with # on it again. Have no idea of weight as they are hand made and don't have a gram scale

i'm not  positive  but  call eagle claw
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2249 on: May 21, 2015, 02:07 PM »
Thanks, yea she always bought a really nice pair for her knitting so id get to them if she wasnt careful... I'll look into those you mentioned and maybe a kit with hackle pliers and the other things and sizes.

I have an ll bean not to far from here , never looked . Trout fitters is expensive ..

I have a couple real expensive sewing scissors. They don't come close to Dr Slick adjustable razor scissors. 3 x the cost too. Live and learn. Check out Wasatch tools for hackle pliers, whip finishers and such. Nice stuff. If those prove too pricey, just get on EBay. Tons of stuff to be had there. Make sure you set "US Only" in the search parameters though, or you'll be waiting for a slow boat from China to deliver your stuff.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.