FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628504 times)

MattyP123

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2955 on: Jul 29, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Anyone have flies that you just hate to tie? Myself, American pheasant tails drive me NUTS! Size 14 is the fall off for me, 16's and 18's are going to be Polish style from now on! If Mr trout is prejudice over a wing case on a size 18 mayfly nymph, you guys can have em! I  have tied some nice ones but just as many wonky ones in the smaller sizes, it's just no fun for me! and I enjoy tying small flies!

boondox

« Reply #2956 on: Jul 30, 2016, 02:07 AM »
Mattyp123 you need some help bud ?  Here is a question when you went from A size 14 to 16 or even 18 nymph hook  did you down size the thread? Like go from 6/0 to a 8/0 or even 10/0? That is more then likely the problem I guessing right now...  now lets look at this a moment if you use 6/0on a 18 nymph hook you will have to much build up and will not be able to fish the wing case i.e. not enough room...mainly at the whip finish point.. that's why if I ever have a problem at the finish point mainly wing cases/ legs  it has to be the threads to thick and building up to quick... so you can't finish.. if you need help on any of it please just ask I am sure others will agree if you need help alway ask...if you want me to do a step by step photos I can to...hopefully I got some small ones.. 

boondox

« Reply #2957 on: Jul 30, 2016, 02:12 AM »
By the way mattyp123 we all had those moments and flies we can't stand mines a size 26 royal hummpy  but there is a reason I have a hard time finding thread that small and splitting hackles and herl etc ... to make it tied true...  it hard seeing that small.. lol's

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2958 on: Jul 30, 2016, 04:53 AM »
#26 Royal humpy ..............the aren't enough laughing emoticons to cover that one for a 66 year old fly tier  ;D

Sift through tightlinevideo on YouTube Matt. It's a great source for tying tips and tricks. Your trouble could be as simple as having one step out of order, a wrap in the wrong direction, or a thread start from the wrong place.

I free tie a lot of flies and developing a new pattern is as much which step when as what it ends up looking like. It usually takes 6 or so attempts to get a sequence that produces a decent result.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2959 on: Jul 30, 2016, 04:59 AM »
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2960 on: Jul 30, 2016, 06:29 AM »
#26 Royal humpy ..............the aren't enough laughing emoticons to cover that one for a 66 year old fly tier  ;D

Sift through tightlinevideo on YouTube Matt. It's a great source for tying tips and tricks. Your trouble could be as simple as having one step out of order, a wrap in the wrong direction, or a thread start from the wrong place.

I free tie a lot of flies and developing a new pattern is as much which step when as what it ends up looking like. It usually takes 6 or so attempts to get a sequence that produces a decent result.

Rg
I get my son to tie the small ones like that,but he is having trouble with his eyes now
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2961 on: Jul 30, 2016, 07:11 AM »
I  can't  believe they used a dyed turkey   feather instead of a  pheasant feather ....I've cheated  on that myself  as  it  gives  you  more  material to  work with
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2962 on: Jul 30, 2016, 07:52 AM »
I like the turkey idea too Trapper.

Frank Sawyer knew what he was doing though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=416Os9V84n8

There's a lot to be said for simplicity.

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #2963 on: Jul 30, 2016, 08:03 AM »
another  way to get  free materials  RJ I  walk  trails in the  woods and  field I pick up  wild  turkey  feathers all the  time .....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2964 on: Jul 30, 2016, 08:09 AM »
My friends that hunt keep me well supplied ;D

Rg

MattyP123

« Reply #2965 on: Jul 30, 2016, 08:25 AM »
8/0 boondox. I'm just hard on myself  :P. They're just such a simple fly you expect them to be perfect every time. Biggest problem I think, is only tying a couple at a time opposed to sitting down and doing like a dozen. I like tightlines videos RG, they're usually my go to.

trapper2000

« Reply #2966 on: Jul 30, 2016, 08:26 AM »
I don't  hunt  turkeys  ...not that I think it's wrong  but I really don't care for  eating them ,but the  feathers  are  great  for  tying  ...another  easy  hit  is  where  ever you see geese  walk around and  pick up a  few  feathers watches  the  mines  they leave

trapper2000

« Reply #2967 on: Jul 30, 2016, 08:31 AM »
matty  the  more  you ty  the  more  you will develop your own style  and  you will begin to  use  your own  technics  you will  find  short cuts  and  ways  to  do things that work for  you .....you'll be  fine  ....and  you will see me  praising the pheasant tail as it  is  one  of  my  go to  flies ...every thing  from bluegills to steelhead love  them .... have  fun with it

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2968 on: Jul 30, 2016, 09:04 AM »
8/0 boondox. I'm just hard on myself  :P. They're just such a simple fly you expect them to be perfect every time. Biggest problem I think, is only tying a couple at a time opposed to sitting down and doing like a dozen. I like tightlines videos RG, they're usually my go to.

Try 70 denier Danville rather than 8/0 Uni. Lays flatter and is much stronger.

Rg

legend1

« Reply #2969 on: Jul 30, 2016, 11:30 AM »
just a thought here....i just returned from our county fair, and found loads of feathers in the animal/bird section just laying around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.