FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 629008 times)

62 & Done

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #4410 on: Mar 19, 2024, 01:52 PM »
With my limited experience, I have resorted to mostly wet flies other than a few terrestrials, thinking they must be simpler to use. This spring I intend to graduate to the dry fly.  Wish me luck    LOL

62 & Done

« Reply #4411 on: Mar 19, 2024, 02:38 PM »
Anybody have any experience with the Cheeky Tyro Reel that the Fly Shack has on sale ?  I have a bargain basement reel on my 9' 5 wt. that I found in the cellar. I thought this cheeky reel might make a good replacement?  the price looks acceptable.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #4412 on: Mar 19, 2024, 03:41 PM »
62 this emerger pattern you could tie very easily   and it works well   don't be afraid to expand dry flies are not hard and are really fun to fish most fly shops even offer instructions  and theres so many on the internet .....

you can do it!!!!!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4413 on: Mar 19, 2024, 03:57 PM »
Every fly tier has tossed flies into the waste basket. It’s like fishing, you don’t know unless you go.

The only thing you regret is losing that hook….which most times you can recover, and, sometimes you’d rather not.

Patience is a virtue .
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

62 & Done

« Reply #4414 on: Mar 19, 2024, 06:51 PM »
In due time - I think I will learn to fishem before attempting to tye-em  That way I will have a better understanding of what I actually want and will use. So much to learn.  Don't lose faith in me guys-I'll get there

This unseasonably warm start to spring has me anxious to get out and wet a line and now it decides to get cold again.  ONE OR THE OTHER PLEASE !!

trapper2000

« Reply #4415 on: Mar 19, 2024, 06:52 PM »
caught alot of fish on ugly flies and mistakes ......

62 & Done

« Reply #4416 on: Mar 19, 2024, 06:57 PM »
caught alot of fish on ugly flies and mistakes ......
  that's too funny    :clapping:

trapper2000

« Reply #4417 on: Mar 19, 2024, 07:17 PM »
it's very true and true to this day ....i love to ty flies and been doing it since i was a kid .....i still make plenty of mistakes  ....fish don't seem to mind that often...... some of my mistakes  include  super glueing my fingers together ....more then once ! and many dry flies became  wet flies and nymphs......many mistakes with epoxy and more then once  broke the thread   spinning deer hair and a  muddler became a mess  ....don't worry we all have messed up my suggestion try fixing the fly the best you can and fish it!  chances are the fish won't care .....worse case   senerio , moose river  we  dropped a  fly box as youths  nephew and i made what we thought looked like   dry  flies out of  cigarette  filters  and yup we caught  fish.....you can do this  you will make a  goof now and then  you'll laugh and  go on .....thats all part of the sport  .....you'll do fine ...your doing fine  now ....,.just don't give up

62 & Done

« Reply #4418 on: Mar 19, 2024, 07:37 PM »
Thanks Trapp we'll keep at it.   I was just watching Bob's "marvelous marble machine"   That took some time

lowaccord66

« Reply #4419 on: Mar 19, 2024, 08:48 PM »
https://youtu.be/D8cL8JsqGpQ?feature=shared

I really enjoyed this one.  Not just for the fishing but I admire the man that Joe is. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4420 on: Mar 20, 2024, 04:30 AM »
Been playing with some #14 wets for gills and some squishy ball flies for crappie.

If the weather ever straightens out I’ll get to try them.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ECobb91

« Reply #4421 on: Mar 20, 2024, 07:27 AM »
Anybody have any experience with the Cheeky Tyro Reel that the Fly Shack has on sale ?  I have a bargain basement reel on my 9' 5 wt. that I found in the cellar. I thought this cheeky reel might make a good replacement?  the price looks acceptable.

While not the same reel, I have a Cheeky Preload on my 4wt. It’s a good budget reel the Tyro is a step above the preload so I’m sure it’ll be a fine reel. One thing you’ll need to get used to is the reel is silent. So there’s no click and pawl clicking sound when pulling line out or reeling in.

For a few dollars more, I’d opt for the Lamson Liquid though. Also on sale/clearance at The Fly Shack

Bartman44

« Reply #4422 on: Mar 20, 2024, 09:18 AM »
Nice work at the vise everyone.

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #4423 on: Mar 20, 2024, 11:04 AM »
Been playing with some #14 wets for gills and some squishy ball flies for crappie.

If the weather ever straightens out I’ll get to try them.
Squishy ball flies seem neat. Solid bead?
Internet heros give it a rest!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4424 on: Mar 20, 2024, 11:36 AM »
Tungsten bead.

They’re a bit tricky to tie but they work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.