FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: champlain sea lamprey info??  (Read 3550 times)

dickbaker

champlain sea lamprey info??
« on: Aug 03, 2017, 01:27 PM »
Just found sea lamprey report at Fishing Lake Champlain proboards site.   Lamprey reports look better but far from the goals that have been set?
Hope site members can provide new information.  I'll try for lakers this fall!
Dick

tracker2011

• I'm NH piker on IceShanty
Re: champlain sea lamprey info??
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Usually I put the boat away for the season after Sept. when our lakes close for the Salmon/Laker fishing.  I saw that there were a bunch of guys who do really well fishing Champlain way into Nov. and I really would like to give laker fishing a try for Oct. and Nov. but I have to admit I don't know how you would put a boat into the ramps that I go out of if there is cold weather and the ramps ice up....do you troll or jig for them..  The way the guys fish that I heard of is jigging for them in late Nov. 
Fishing is my first passion, just don't tell the wife!

dickbaker

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2017, 07:03 PM »
Usually I put the boat away for the season after Sept. when our lakes close for the Salmon/Laker fishing.  I saw that there were a bunch of guys who do really well fishing Champlain way into Nov. and I really would like to give laker fishing a try for Oct. and Nov. but I have to admit I don't know how you would put a boat into the ramps that I go out of if there is cold weather and the ramps ice up....do you troll or jig for them..  The way the guys fish that I heard of is jigging for them in late Nov. 

Champlain is open to fishing year round!!  Let me know what you have for a boat and tackle  and I will let you know what access and methods to use late this fall?
Dick

greensider

« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Haven't seen one in years

dickbaker

« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2017, 11:49 AM »
 ??? ::)  That's because I'm importing them to seacoast where I use them as cheap striper bait??
Dick

tracker2011

• I'm NH piker on IceShanty
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2017, 04:24 PM »
I have a 16ft tracker deep v with 60 hp.  I have downriggers, leadcore, etc...I fish for them trolling in the spring and catch them mostly while fishing for Salmon on Winni. I'm not sure how different if it is in late fall.  I used to go to Champlain years ago and I put the boat out of Charlotte or Shelburne bay.
Fishing is my first passion, just don't tell the wife!

dickbaker

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2017, 01:08 PM »
I have a 16ft tracker deep v with 60 hp.  I have downriggers, leadcore, etc...I fish for them trolling in the spring and catch them mostly while fishing for Salmon on Winni. I'm not sure how different if it is in late fall.  I used to go to Champlain years ago and I put the boat out of Charlotte or Shelburne bay.

Late October lake trout fishing might be fantastic if you can find the windy shoals that the first males invade.   I've only found them once and that was at the Outlet of the Boquette River on the NY side.   In 10 to 15 ft. of water big lakers surfaced all around the boat!  I've seen a video of the lakers doing the same thing off the south jetty at Grand Isle ferry!   The lakers will be moving onto the windward and rocky shoals and feeding well while they wait for the females to arrive.   Try it with a charter  guide this time of the year and you will be happy to trailer your own boat for many future years.  In the shallow shoals I would probably drag some lead core with really flashy spoons.    It would provide a long extension after the NH short season.   October/November can also provide warm afternoons of  super warm water fishing.  It would also offer a great way to fight off the November ice fishing fever, since Champlain takes a long time to even skim over the major boat access areas.
Do it and report back.   My little camper doesn't provide enough heat to keep me comfy into November.

Dick

Fish Farmer

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2017, 04:32 PM »
What Dick just said.

I never target lakers in the fall(Oct/November), but they are on the spawn at that time so they can be in shallow water. I've saw them in 9 feet of water one morning while trolling tight to shore. I've picked them up while trolling for salmon using longlines/leadcore/flyrods with sinking line, sometimes over deep water in November, probably post spawn fish looking for an easy meal.

The Converse Bay launch is generally user friendly into the chilly months if there isn't much snow to ice the ramp down. Many people use this ramp, so it will probably be usable with four wheel drive until the lake freezes which may be January or maybe later. It  is south facing so it gets sun part of the day. Just across the lake from Converse is Whallons Bay which is one of the laker spawning bays, they will also spawn in a few of the smaller bays around Kingsland Bay State Park.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.