FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye's on the fly?  (Read 4903 times)

Big Burk

Walleye's on the fly?
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:57 AM »
has anybody ever caught walleye's on the fly? what flys would you suggest? i've tried a leech fly with a couple split shots to make it sink deeper but still nothing. what other options?

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
Re: Walleye's on the fly?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:57 AM »
Chironomids. Surprisingly enough. Walleye will take almost any invertebrate pattern you can throw at them. Most eyes I have caught were loaded with chronnys or dragonfly nymphs. I have also got them on leeches. Remember that they are a lazy fish and will not be overly agressive toward a fast fly. Nice and sloooooow is the trick.

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Issiah

« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2008, 08:13 PM »
Saw a guy in a float tube one time that was working a shiny streamer below a falls where Walleye had gathered. He was pulling out Walleye one after another.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2008, 10:00 PM »
I wish I took pics this one time, a friend and I went bass fishing on a local river. It was crazy, I would have to say between the 2 of us we landed 10-15 eyes, the biggest one was around 22 inches, all on big black wooly bugers.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

mt2

• Saratoga
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2008, 06:51 PM »
Mickeyfinn,  how were you fishing the flies? dead drift on the bottom, slow retrieve,fast retrieve? That's one fish I have not taken on a fly and would love to try it.

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2009, 01:16 PM »
Black beadhead wooly buggers tied on a #6 hook work well.  Cast it out beyond weedbeds, let it sink, and work it back in slowly.  Also, many of the streamer patterns that have some flash to them seem to work well presented the same way.
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

seasnapper

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2009, 08:16 PM »
a size 4 clouser minnow chartreuse/white or olive/white on a sinktip line....stripped back slowly near the bottom has worked for me in northern vermont

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2009, 08:25 PM »
I know this sound ridiculous, but I've caught ALL my fly rod Wally's on a deer-hair FROG pattern!

I live on a little lake in Upstate NY and spend most of my summer evening bombing surface patterns for smallies.  Last year I caught six wally's on the same frog pattern over the course of about one month.

I know what you are thinking, but trust me, it surprised me too!

The first night I thought it was just a fluke- but after a few more evenings of more walleye I realized quickly that it was no mistake!  Once the wally's move in shallow in the evening they seem to love a deer-hair bug just sitting still on the surface.  Just like the smallies do!  I don't know if I would TARGET them with such a pattern, but if you are out bass fishing near (or after) dark with hair bugs, don't be surprised if a walleye takes a shot at it too!!!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

copperjohn

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2009, 02:43 AM »
I've had some luck on river eyes with bunny strip leeches, black, and also split tails of brown to imitate crawfish.  But the omnipotent woolly bugger will catch their eye too.

jiggnfool

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2009, 09:04 PM »
I had some luck with black sculpins when I lived in Washington.

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Sweet Pic!

jwm123

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2009, 01:43 PM »
Sink tip line with woolie boogers, clouser's or leech patterns. In the summer they will take big mayflys right before dark. Last year caughtr my personal biggest about 6lbs. on a Helgermite pattern. As soon as the weather warms a little I hope to break my personal best, however if I went now before it gets too warm would probably stand a better chance.

Spin

« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2009, 07:53 AM »
   White BH Woolie Buggers with White crystal chennille bodies and sparse pearl flash in the tail(white Marabou) works well in early season where I live on the East Shore of Winnebago when fish are in 4 to 10 ft of water
early morning and late evening. I've taken eyes in the Michigan's U.P. on them too but a Mac's Worm has produced some very nice Walleyes for me while fishing Pike and Smallmouth on waters like Craig Lake, Greenwood Res., Lake Michigamme and the Michigame River. The natural colors, Brown, Tan, Olive, Black seem to produce the best with this fly. A sink tip line is a plus too.

Spin

kiltman

• We can do this!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2009, 04:34 PM »
I've used a doctor fly with great success on the river in early spring.
I tied them on a 3x #6 streamer hook.

The reason we're all here, is 'cause we ain't all there.

jjsji

« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2009, 07:47 AM »
I've caught a few 'eyes in the Susquehanna River using a Thomas Minnow Fly.  It's a rainbow colored thorax with a brown and orange hair wing.
I like to fish with St. Croix rods www.StCroix.com and Hair Jigs by www.jjsjigs.com.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.