FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Taunted by Tiger Musky, how do I finally get one?  (Read 16608 times)

cpg39

Taunted by Tiger Musky, how do I finally get one?
« on: Jul 18, 2017, 12:21 PM »
Third time out trying to catch a tiger musky from shore last night. I've never caught a musky, but I went to a pretty heavily stocked tiger musky lake, and was throwing around a blade bait. As it got closer to sunset I started seeing a flurry of the most insane fish jumps I've ever seen. Still can't believe how many monsters I saw splashing on the surface, some even leaving the water partially. I was able to hit a lot of these splash areas with my lure, but never got a bite. I also had a live bluegill out on a different rod but I couldn't put that live bait out nearly far enough.

As the night went on the jumps got more frequent and more shallow. They were still jumping a half hour after sunset, but I couldn't manage to get one's attention.

I imagine I need to throw a top-water bait at these guys. Any suggestions/ideas for hooking into one of them, assuming these conditions repeat themselves tonight or tomorrow?

-Thanks a lot

zwiggles

Re: Taunted by Tiger Musky, how do I finally get one?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2017, 12:45 PM »
You may get a better response posting this on the state board where you were fishing. I am no help for Muskie. Caught one by accident when I was 18 in Wisconsin trying to catch bass. I know they have a reputation of being a very t Sirius fish to catch.

fishinjohn

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2017, 01:04 PM »
Third time out trying to catch a tiger musky from shore last night. I've never caught a musky, but I went to a pretty heavily stocked tiger musky lake, and was throwing around a blade bait. As it got closer to sunset I started seeing a flurry of the most insane fish jumps I've ever seen. Still can't believe how many monsters I saw splashing on the surface, some even leaving the water partially. I was able to hit a lot of these splash areas with my lure, but never got a bite. I also had a live bluegill out on a different rod but I couldn't put that live bait out nearly far enough.

As the night went on the jumps got more frequent and more shallow. They were still jumping a half hour after sunset, but I couldn't manage to get one's attention.

I imagine I need to throw a top-water bait at these guys. Any suggestions/ideas for hooking into one of them, assuming these conditions repeat themselves tonight or tomorrow?

-Thanks a lot
This is what I would do if I were you.. since you already have the biggest piece of info you need (location) I would take some shallow running jerk baits.BIG ONES.. the bigger the better!!! Cast and with a FAST retrieve working that jerk bait and hard as you can.. top water can be very effective but I think you'll have better success like I stated..
Or if you're gonna use top water I'd throw the biggest spook you can buy!! (They work awesome for big pike)
Good luck

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2017, 01:58 PM »
I gotta ask... are you sure they were Tigers?

If your sure fishinjohn's advise is pretty good advise. 

Get a boat, canoe, kayak... cover more water, you'll connect eventually.

Good Luck! Pics please...  ;)

KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

cpg39

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2017, 03:36 PM »
I guess I can't be sure they were anything.

If you're asking if I'm sure they were tiger musky vs normal musky, then yes I know tigers are the only Esox fish in the lake.

If you're suggesting they could be something else entirely, then I certainly can't rule that out.

I know for sure they were whales, and that they were hitting the top water very viciously.

I got a good look at one that came out of the water partially, and it was a long dark fish. It could have been a walleye, theoretically, but if it was a walleye I would be even happier to catch it as that fish would be close to some kind of world record. If these blowups were caused by bass, then again they would be fish of a lifetime size for sure.

Certainly not carp, I know they like to jump, but the fish I saw looked nothing like a common carp.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.