FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sally and Missy Report  (Read 8860 times)

bigr

Re: Sally and Missy Report
« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 2017, 05:19 AM »
Fished upstream as far as troyers bridge yesterday. Water was cleaner but still dirty. Level was dropping fast. Caught a few white bass. Dropped down river a couple miles to hogs back area, Water was a little high for shore fishing but from a boat would be good. Dropped a couple more miles down stream and found some crappie in a fishable slack area. Then the rains came. I expect river has changed yet again over night. The good news is when we get enough rain to make the Wabash river to rise the corp will shut down the discharge from dam for flood control. Some areas got a lot of rain and some got little. we'll have to wait and see today. 

indianahooker

« Reply #16 on: Apr 11, 2017, 06:50 AM »
what bait shops do you have down there?  used to be one in huntington and then one at old gas station off 24 by missy.  anymore around there?

bigr

« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Below the dam at woodys camp and bait. Somerset off of hwy 13. those are two that I'm aware of on missy. Mega pet in Wabash at intersection of 13 and 24. On the sally I know of two. Peace pipe near the visitor center at lost bridge west and then another one a few miles west from there. It's a big general store with a big assortment of stuff. Sorry I cant think of name.

bherr24

« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2017, 11:07 AM »
The 2 bait shops i know of are Woodys which is right by the spillway and theres also one in Peru on Benton street. Both are on my way so i have used both of them before.  I fished below the dam yesterday and as someone mentioned earlier the water was up 2 feet and my spots that i had been catching fish had too much current. I caught a few but no size and had to work hard for those. The bite was pretty good all week last week and i look for it to pick right back up whenever they drop the water back down. I'm looking to get out sometime on Thursday hopefully the discharge is down some.

bigr

« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2017, 05:35 AM »
Discharge should be way down by Thursday. Looking at corp site they will be at the level they want sometime today so they will now be holding water to slowly continue the rise. Below the dam should be very good the next few days with no rain in forecast.

bherr24

« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2017, 07:56 AM »
I think so too big r, they actually slowed discharge yesterday afternoon a little bit.   I couldn't go yesterday but my cousin went over last evening and caught about a dozen good ones he said with the slower flow.

tomes1978

« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2017, 08:39 PM »
I went to Missy last Saturday with a buddy and did pretty good at the spillway.  I appreciate you guys posting the reports on here, it definitely helped us get a nice mess!He went back Sunday and he said they increased the discharge which killed the bite.  So, what is the hogs back area? 

bigr

« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2017, 05:37 AM »
The Flats, Hogs Back, Reenactment are all Names we fishermen have used to describe areas most fish as the water begins to fill back up from winter pool to summer pool on the Missinnawa. During the winter pool time these areas are just the former river. As water is held back in resi the river slowly comes up until the river channel itself is under water. The flats is the 1st effected by the rise and is also the first to see a push of migrating fish, White Bass, Crappie, Walleye. When water level reaches summer pool water will have backed up to as far as the reenactment area. That normally occurs around 1st of May which is also the peak of the spawn time for fish. The fish move much faster upstream during high water events so they typically start showing up anytime from late Feb to end of May. I love the chase when late winter and early spring begins. This year the chase has been very good since early Febuary when we had that warm up. It really got them going and they haven't left. Conditions in all the popular areas are quickly improving and would expect the fishermen to really start showing up.   

Walleyechaser96

« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2017, 04:15 PM »
is this the time of the year when the walleye should be bitting well?

Spooled85

« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2017, 05:03 PM »
I fished the dam yesterday , from 12 to 530 and me my son and my fiance ended up with 39 crapie and gills . And 6 stripers alot of sorting ! Didn't see much action water has slowed down and very stained . No cats and no eyes seen caught as far as I know all in all had a good day and good eats

bherr24

« Reply #25 on: Apr 16, 2017, 09:30 PM »
Spillway is too low for my liking now and too many people now that the weather got warm.  Decided today to make the longer drive up river for the first time this year. We were not dissapointed. Lots of nice fish and only 3 or 4 other people there fishing. Me and my buddy kept a one man limit all 11-13 inchers.  We caught a lot of nice fish that we released simply because we didn't feel like cleaning 2 limits.

drine_11

« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2017, 06:33 AM »
good job bherr...I stopped and fished at least 5 different places this weekend between 13 to all the way up by the battlefield and didnt manage 1 single keeper...bite was extremely slow for me.  Figured the fishing would have been fairly good but left disappointed

indianahooker

« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2017, 07:11 AM »
drine i had 2 friends go there this last weekend.  they did the same as you.  the crappie they did catch were small.  said they mite have caught 1- 11"er the rest were 7"-8".  probably the muddy water.

bherr24

« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2017, 07:43 AM »
Drine i was upriver from 13 but not as far as the battlefield.  The fish were in the same holes that we found them in last year when we had our best day of the season with several fish at 13 inches. The bite was every cast for the first half hour yesterday.  We only had one 13 yesterday but several 11 and 12s.  Most of the fish were males too, only a few females.  The water color is not that bad, i had been catching them in the spillway for the last month is worse looking water then what i fished yesterday.  Also caught 5 white bass and 6 drum. I can't go today but my buddy is planning on going i will post how he does if he gets out.

Bobber Watcher

« Reply #29 on: Apr 17, 2017, 09:33 PM »
Thanks for the report's... made it up river and caught supper. A couple 12-13, but the 11's and 10's are the best eaters.   
Great day out on the bank's.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.