FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: power bait  (Read 7960 times)

peple of the perch

power bait
« on: Apr 14, 2004, 07:40 PM »
how many peole like power baits i have never caught anything on them. i cant stand them i do like mr. twisters

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: power bait
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2004, 07:47 PM »
I know a lot of guys who swear by Power Bait. I haven't used them...I prefer the real thing.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

peple of the perch

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2004, 07:49 PM »
ive tried them and never did any good i dont like them all that much

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2004, 08:18 PM »
Sometimes the bid tubes work great for smallies in Lake Ontario.
Harold

Anglerkev

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2004, 08:28 PM »
I Just started trout fishing a bit and had great luck with them all last spring/ fall at a local pond. Used the rainbow paste.. roll it into a ball, have the sliding egg sinker with long 3/4lb leader and a wicked small treble. Caught my limit almost every time out to that pond... ;D

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2004, 08:49 PM »
I have tried them big time and have had no success. I love the real thing. 8) 8) 8)
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

raleigh

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2004, 09:14 PM »
I have used it but I would say live bait or flys and lures work 100% better. Power bait was desined for stocker trout or other stocker fish. The stuff that they put in power bait has stuff in it that they feed to the fish in some hatcheries.

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2004, 09:20 PM »
speaking of power baits, has anyone tried the GULP baits? i was gonna give them a shot for walleye, i was thinking they might have one in a leech form but they dont... only thing i see is the BUNGEE leech.... i heard the GULP maggots produce pretty well for both panfish and trout, wish there was a leech for walleye... anyone try these yet???

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2004, 04:50 PM »
POTP, when you are talking about Power Bait, are you referring only to the paste?  I think that if you are, some folks lump all of the Berkeley Power products in that category.

If anyone is thinking about all of the Power products, there are lots of soft plastic Berkely Power lures that work well, like the tubes that howey mentions.  Berkeley Power wigglers work very well through the ice tipped on ice jigs for panfish and under a float on open water, also they are excellent on a 1/80 oz. jighead under a float or jigged through the ice.  Berkeley Power Grubs work well too, including on those Lake Erie smallies and walleyes.  Never tried the gulp lures.  They look good though...

As far as Power Bait goes (the paste in the jar for trout), I haven't done much on it but have seen many people do well on it especially on stocked rainbow trout in my area.  I prefer to throw jigs and spinners at the trout, but honestly, I haven't done much of that except to bring my daughter out there and catch the stockies.  Spring has changed for me over the years.  I used to be chomping at the bit for opening day of trout season, but now I prefer to fish for walleye, stripers, smallmouth, largemouth, and crappie this time of year.  Now, the trout that I catch are usually by accident fishing for those other species.

peple of the perch

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2004, 05:04 PM »
what r the powerbait wigglers. what do they look like

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2004, 12:09 AM »
They kind of look like tiny 1/2" maggots in a way.  Better yet, most of mine were connected like tiny sausage links.  I think the best color is the white, but that's just my opinion.  Pink works OK too.  Try them, they work very well.

Here's a link to a pic:  http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=46168&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=8&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=browse

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2004, 08:30 AM »
i just wish i could find something that resembles a leech and works as well as the exude or gulp.... not many good leech looking rubber baits out there... sometimes when im on chatauqua or conesus and go to the bait stores, they are out of them or they only have tiny ones!
i guess i could always find a live bulk buy somewhere and just keep them like worms or something!

wyogator

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2004, 09:03 AM »
I use the Berkley Gulp! maggots and crappie nibbles on my ice jigs during ice season. They both work great. I have never tried them during open water, so I don't know, but I imagine they work just as well in open water.

OTIS

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2004, 11:34 AM »
 just wish i could find something that resembles a leech and works as well as the exude or gulp.... not many good leech looking rubber baits out there... sometimes when im on chatauqua or conesus and go to the bait stores, they are out of them or they only have tiny ones!
i guess i could always find a live bulk buy somewhere and just keep them like worms or something!

Have you tried black pork rinds?  I've used some that resembled leaches, and they hold up to a LOT of abuse.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Cider

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2004, 12:23 PM »
I would say that powerbait for trout works best on stockies.  We catch brookies upwards of 3-5 lbs on them in northern NH.  I don't think that wild trout would go for it as readily.

I prefer to use the pre-formed nuggets over the paste, but either will work.  The nuggets just seem to hold together best.  I like using chartruese, fluoresent orange, and rainbow glitter.  I have also heard that bubble-gum color works well.

I will use power bait when hardware or flies can't get the job done.  That is rare for me.  Personally, I would switch to worms before power bait.  Although, I always have a jar in my gear and I don't always have live trout worms with me!  So, there are times when the power bait is convenient.

Here is a tip on something that works just as well as power bait, if not better.  Commercial marshmallow baits in yellow and chartreuse coated with glitter.  Basically the same thing as using power bait.  I was up north two years ago and the trout weren't hitting on hardware at all.  We switched to power bait and picked up a few over a spring hole.  There was a father and son using marshmallows from shore casting to essentially the same spot we were fishing from the canoe.  They were using marshmallows rigged the same way we used the power bait and they out fished us big time that day!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.