FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Garmin transducer 4 pin connector?  (Read 1689 times)

pyraetos

Garmin transducer 4 pin connector?
« on: Oct 30, 2020, 10:44 PM »
Hey all,

I’m looking for a pointer in the right direction. I have a Garmin transducer, this one: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?partNumber=010-10249-20&tab=topics and I am working on a home engineering project involving using this as a sensor.

I am just looking for any and all information about the data provided by this transducer. Some of my questions are: Is it truly NMEA 0183 compliant? Is it powered by 12V? Is there any info about the wires inside the cable which are red, black, white, and bare?

I know this is a fishing forum, but there’s so little information from Garmin or Google searches about it that I have to reach out somewhere.

For anyone curious about the technical nitty gritty, I have tried powering it outside of any water with 12V car battery and using the white wire as UART RX at 4800 baud per NMEA, and did not receive any data. There doesn’t seem to be an indication it’s even “on”, such as an LED or getting warm.

lowaccord66

Re: Garmin transducer 4 pin connector?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2020, 06:24 AM »
Ask Garmin support.  They can get you those answers if you are willing to ping them a few times after your initial inquiry.

Curious about what your end goal is?

pyraetos

« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2020, 04:22 PM »
Thanks for your reply. The end goal is a small unmanned craft. I'll see if Garmin support can help, but they may not like me cutting the cable.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2020, 04:41 PM »
Neat let us know how that works out.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2020, 10:01 AM »
interesting project.  I don't think they work very far out of water though?

The transducer will still ping, you can actually hear them if you've ever had one running out of water.  However like you said not sure how that would work in this case.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2020, 10:16 AM »
The transducer will still ping, you can actually hear them if you've ever had one running out of water.  However like you said not sure how that would work in this case.

My Lowrance HDS8 will Mark the ground when the boat is on the trailer.
I run my hand thru the cone and can see it on the unit.
Yea, they are way more efficient in watet than air.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2020, 02:28 PM »
As I understand it, transducers are pretty "dumb" pieces of tech unless there is a head unit attached. And yes, Garmin is going to tell you not to cut the cord. The crystals in these transducers are calibrated using the wire calculated as a resistor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.