FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: All my ponds have been ice free for a few days in northeastern Indiana  (Read 1468 times)

taxid

except on calm clear nights where it drops into the 20's and teens when there is radiational cooling where upon I get skim ice. However, it usually disappears during the day. What's amazing is wind plays big part in disintegrating ice once I get an open area.

So the time is near for open water on the larger lakes! 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bogtrotter

Meanwhile, depending on which pond you hit, here in NW MA we have 10 to 18 inches of ice covering our ponds.

As the realtors say, it's location, location, location.

taxid

Meanwhile, depending on which pond you hit, here in NW MA we have 10 to 18 inches of ice covering our ponds.

As the realtors say, it's location, location, location.

For sure. And you guys get a lot more snow than we do here in Indiana. At least you did when I lived in Massachusetts. I remember waiting for the first day of trout season opener on April 15th and along comes a late season nor'easter. (Back when there was a trout season opening day on the ponds).
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bogtrotter

I remember waiting for the first day of trout season opener on April 15th and along comes a later season nor'easter. (Back when there was a trout season opening day on the ponds).

Holy cow, you can  remember when MA had an opening day for trout season! (LOL)

When did they get rid of that anyway?

I've been fishing for trout since at least the early 1980's, and I cannot recall MA having an opening day - - It was just something that "old timers" talked about. 

Of course, now that I'm 50+, I'm starting to feel like an old timer myself.

taxid

Holy cow, you can  remember when MA had an opening day for trout season! (LOL)

When did they get rid of that anyway?

I've been fishing for trout since at least the early 1980's, and I cannot recall MA having an opening day - - It was just something that "old timers" talked about. 

Of course, now that I'm 50+, I'm starting to feel like an old timer myself.

I'm 63. This was the late 1960's up to 1971 after which I moved to Indiana. So many people and boats on my favorite Pond at Devens on opening day you could almost walk on them to get across the pond. Then after a week or so it all petered out for the most part. Sometimes had the pond all to myself. I lived just up the hill when my dad was stationed there before he headed off to Vietnam for the second time. Well actually Cambodia, but that's not official.

Don't know when they dropped the opening season as I moved away while they still had it. I will ask a friend on Facebook that lives in Mass that probably knows.

Another interesting thing about the time period I lived there from 68' to 71': Trout stocking was 99 percent brook trout in this particular pond (Mirror Lake). Some browns were planted in neighboring Little Hell Pond, and a few brood stock rainbows planted, but not very often.

taxid

Friend in Mass that is about my age seems to think opening day was ended in the late 70's but he's not sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.