FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Free Fishing in NY Next Weekend  (Read 1087 times)

bogtrotter

Free Fishing in NY Next Weekend
« on: Jun 20, 2020, 06:26 AM »
Just a heads up

Next weekend (June 26 & 27, 2020) is Free Fishing in NY.

No fishing license required to fish that weekend.

bogtrotter

Re: Free Fishing in NY Next Weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2020, 04:34 PM »
Today, two buddies (Brian and Ted) and I went to try our luck in New York.

It was cloudy, cool (about 60 degrees) and occasionally rainy (but not too hard).

We fished the Hoosic, first at the "Town Beach," then behind the St. Gobain plant, and finally below the falls in Hoosick Falls.

I caught a 5" crayfish (that wouldn't let go of my hook until I bopped it with the butt of the handle of my rod) at the Town Beach and hooked but lost a 11" rainbow (just as I was reaching to unhook it) by the St. Gobain plant, but didn't do anything whatsoever below the Falls.

(Although I did find a 3 foot long fish skeleton, with a little flesh left around the head, along the shore below the Falls.  I'm guessing it was either a carp or catfish.  Pretty cool looking whatever it was.  I would have brought it home for show-and-tell, but it smelled to high heaven).

On the way home, we stopped briefly in Petersburgh, and I tried a few casts, but aside from a couple half-hearted strikes from a small brookie  (for which I just couldn't quite seem to set the hook right below a small bridge, I didn't have any action.

We're hoping to get out again tomorrow, and see what we can do on the Kinderhook.   

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2020, 06:26 AM »
Good luck!

bogtrotter

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2020, 05:34 PM »
Today, my buddies Brian and Ted and I headed back to NY for the second day of Free Fishing Weekend.

The day was cloudy with occasional sprinkles, and the temps ranged from 65 to 75 degrees.

We started on the Kinderhook, first in Stephentown and then in West Lebanon (where the Wyomack flows in).

Unfortunately, my co-worker who had warned me that the Kinderhook was likely to be painfully low proved to be right, and we did were unable to detect either hide or hair (or should that be "scale or fin"?)  of any fish, so we decided to head north to the Town of Hoosick to reprise our attempt to fish the Hoosic next to the St. Gobain plant.

Alas, even though the water was up a little bit from yesterday, and the spot was the most promising one we had seen over the course of the past two days (plus I briefly had an 11" rainbow on my line there yesterday), we were totally and utterly skunked, without so much as a strike the entire time that we were there.

As a result, we headed home and Brian (who had slept poorly last night) called it a day, while I spent a couple hours showing Ted (who is from "mid County" and hasn't fished much up my way before) my "milk run" along the South Branch of the Hoosic in Adams, from Mullen Mayflower to a little below Elm Rock.

Fortunately, Ted and I did considerably better on my home waters than during our "away" game - - and together we landed a couple brookies, a brown and a decent rainbow, and lost a couple other fish, over a relatively short period of time - - especially considering that we were hurrying a bit so that I could show Ted the entire stretch for his future reference.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2020, 06:43 AM »
Good stuff Jim.  Perhaps the weekend after the 4th we can carve off a day and hit the run a bit harder than we did last time.  Ill bring more calories!

bogtrotter

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Sounds good. 

I'll pm you the week of the 4th to finalize the details.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:31 AM »
Excellent.  I can commit to a full day mission either day. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.