FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hit the coast for a day  (Read 1957 times)

Bartman44

Hit the coast for a day
« on: May 16, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Well I got out again, this time with my oldest son for a day trip this past Saturday on the lower Connecticut River where it dumps into the ocean. We got up at 2:45 AM, were on the road at 3AM, arrived at the launch at 6 AM and we were late to the party. Plenty of boats out there already.

We were met with strong north winds, stained water, with a water temp of just 53 degrees and it felt like November.

We spent the first hour combing the flats with the standard fluke and jig rigs with nothing to show for except for a few follows. My son then made the switch to a 7 inch stick bait and it was like flipping a light switch. He had 10 in the boat before stubborn dad caved and did the same and it was fun thereafter. No monsters but many mid to upper 20 inch fish.  Later, when the tide changed I threw  the fluke back on and caught a few but that stick bait was the trigger all day.  Can’t say what it was, vibration, ?? but I take no credit. 

We were off the river by 3pm and by the time I washed my  boat down at home and went inside it was 8pm.  One tired old man. These day trips were a lot easier 30 years ago. 

Bart       

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
Re: Hit the coast for a day
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:48 PM »
Looks like fun....but tiring....would love to fish for those fluke. how long do they normally bite? Is that water kayak friendly?
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 05:43 AM »
Great job BM.   Way to go..... ..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:03 AM »

Well done Bman , keep posting your success , this ol buzzard enjoys everyone’s pics

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Looks like fun....but tiring....would love to fish for those fluke. how long do they normally bite? Is that water kayak friendly?

Id say that is highly dependent on your skill level.  Biggest threat would be getting run over by a boat.  Second to that the river currents and subsequent stacking of waves can be tough.  If you want a safer river kayak spot in CT the housy is a better bet.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Id say that is highly dependent on your skill level.  Biggest threat would be getting run over by a boat.  Second to that the river currents and subsequent stacking of waves can be tough.  If you want a safer river kayak spot in CT the housy is a better bet.

Agreed. peddle drive would also make it easier but one way or another, north wind and outgoing tide and you may end up in Montauk if you run out of steam.
Wicked Wec

Bartman44

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Agree with the guys above. The lower CT is wide  and marinas abound.  Housatonic  is much more intimate and the new State Launch at Milford should be set to open soon.

Sorry for no response Ice John but some personal matters took me away from the fishing game for a week.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Nice bass Bartman.  Ill be after them for 3 days this weekend!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 04:56 AM »
State Launch at Milford

Wow I grew up just around the corner from there back in the 60's and the 70's..
Use to launch out of there all the time with my father....
Oh and nice job on the bass..
 And for the first time ever a large tagged white shark was pinging and reported in the sound....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Bartman44

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 01:24 PM »
I saw that Dom, just not  at Cape Cod anymore. The guys at Montauk who swim out with black wet suits should take notice  ;D

Bartman44

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 01:26 PM »
Nice bass Bartman.  Ill be after them for 3 days this weekend!

Nice. I'll be on the lower CT with my son on Sunday.  If you're there say hi. White Ranger RB-190 with a Merc on the back.

Bart

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.