FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ANY ONE FISHING?  (Read 18303 times)

• I'd rather be fishing!
Re: ANY ONE FISHING?
« Reply #30 on: Apr 23, 2015, 08:40 AM »
i have a canoe too. it was old and a "hand me down" years ago. i had to fiberglass the hull where people must have dragged it over land and wore a long hole in it. i got really good in it using it solely for 3 years almost daily for hours and hours until i moved away from the lake. i could keep the paddle on just one side for a long time no matter what side the wind was. not sure how you do that with a double paddle.

i was looking at new canoes but didn't like the weight of them. 85# vs 44# is what sold me and the fact i can fit the yak' into my van and have every thing locked up and no straps and no lifting up high to get it on the racks.
Sun Dolphin Mackinaw Square Stern Canoe this is on sale for 3 bills. at dunhams. i should just buy it for me and the wife instead of getting her into kayaking.
http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Dolphin-Mackinaw-Square-Stern/dp/B00W4RAMIM/ref=zg_tr_3414281_14/176-8917663-7928647

i found some tricks that work well for them. one is to get a covered 5 gallon bucket and fill it with water and put the top back on and put it where the front rider would be. this keeps the boat flat in the water and adds a lot more stability. just use lake water and dump it when your done. the other is for when you decide to use a trolling motor. i put the batteries in the center of the boat and just used to small hard 1 x 4 small chunks of wood and sandwiched the boat with them and clamped the motor onto those pieces, just behind where i am seated.  another trick was to sit on a boat cushion on the flood and lean on another one right where i would be sitting. back support and lounging. when sitting like that and with the extension added to the tiller handle i could steer the boat with my head while trolling. mine is a 2 seater so sitting in the middle wasn't practical. today's boats have 3 seats and you can use it like a yak'.

my buddy is going crazy tricking out his yak'. i'll take my time and let fishing let me know what i need. i already bought a yak' anchor that folds up and down with 4 spines and only weighs 3#. that was a must have item. the next is a paddle holder and tethers & anchor points for every thing. looking into lighting right now. not sure what law is for a yak' yet. guessing it will be a marker light of any kind, strobing or not.

i do have the marcum lx-7 i can use on it and 3 birds, but i got used to not using sonars in boats. my other boat has one and i never use it except to get the water temp. i always cast fish towards shore and never troll fish any more, so they are not needed. i did look into the newer sonars that look side ways and forward, but they have to be pointing into where you want to cast and costs are crazy for them and the size of the ducer. my buddy wants to use one of his on his new yak' and asked me if he can shoot the sonar thru the hull. i had no answer except to start reading.

my yak' came with a trolly anchor system in the right rear, but so far i can't use it. i fish casting towards shore, so the anchor needs to be in front of me where i am casting. maybe i don't get how to use the trolly yet.
i knew about chains for river drifting because of my bigger boat i only fish rivers with it and the fast water we drop chains on ropes to keep the nose pointing forward unless the wind blows hard.

if you still are looking for a kayak, they have new hull designs that sit flat on water now instead of the v shapes hulls.

this holds 500#
Lifetime Sport Fisher Kayak with Paddles and Backrests (Olive Green, 10-Feet)
http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Fisher-Paddles-Backrests-10-Feet/dp/B004EEM87G/ref=zg_tr_3414281_8/176-8917663-7928647

this holds 600#
Predator XL Minn Kota
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/predator_xl/

boondox

« Reply #31 on: Apr 23, 2015, 02:20 PM »
have check out quite a few yaks this is the latest thought was a stand up paddle board version in a float tube style paddle board holds 700# and is not tippy at all but does not track as well as a canoe or a kayak ... see my dilemma here i would rather have a yak that were the canoe fill the void for right now  sat in one of those 500# life time yaks and sank it lol's  any ways it a north fork out fitters sup ...made by Dave schraden pontoons....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Float-Tubes-Pontoons/Pontoons%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105607080/i/104508180/North-Fork-Outdoors-Outlaw-Fuzion-DST-Pontoon/1967101.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fpontoons%2F_%2FN-1102583%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104508180

would love the portability of a yak  with the weight capacity of a canoe to bad that pontoon is inflateable but it dowes have a life time hual warranty mite be worth a shot ???

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #32 on: Apr 24, 2015, 09:40 AM »
that link you posted is shot. has  ...   for the domain name. probably removed from the link with the forum scripting. some domain names maybe are not allowed to be posted?

i was looking at top brand yaks most of yesterday. the hobie is top1 and 3. old town predator is 4. i like old town because they are life time warranted and american.

have you looked into the pontoon personal boats, what ever they are called. like a seat on two sponsons?
char from cabelas says she has the one on display in grandville and loves it. not sure how much weight they carry.

boondox

« Reply #33 on: Apr 29, 2015, 03:37 AM »
that link you posted is shot. has  ...   for the domain name. probably removed from with the forum scripting. some domain names maybe are not allowed to be posted?

i was looking at top brand yaks most of yesterday. the hobie is top1 and 3. old town predator is 4. i like old town because they are life time warranted and american.

have you looked into the pontoon personal boats, what ever they are called. like a seat on two sponsons?
char from cabelas says she has the one on display in grandville and loves it. not sure how much weight they carry.

that was a cabelas link for north fork out fitter pontoons i don't think their a sponsor? here at least on the ice fishing forum they are?  i tried kayaks there is one i have not i guess i got to go to a demo days and try at kayak Carol in ann arbor , mi   if any thing to try it out i have thought about the life time mfg kayak  but just did not bite the bullet...i weight 425 lbs so it a pain in the rump being top heavy... legs are smaller then the top half lol's .. any how seen those nfo pontoons thought what a deal if they were not inflatable  but guess what there inflatable...   

tomturkey

« Reply #34 on: Apr 29, 2015, 07:58 AM »
I wish that my back would let me sit in a yac. NO way can I sit with in that low seat with my legs out straight.

My kids have the wood canoe I bought back in the 50's when I was in high school as a bare hull. I paid $27 for all the cloth, coloration fillers and resin from Herter's to fiberglass it. I split an ash well rod to make new outer gunnels. We shot a lot of carp out of it with a lantern hanging over the bow. A lot of times there were two guys standing and shooting with a third guy paddling.

It got too heavy for me to load on top of my truck. When a $100 deal for a Michicraft canoe showed up in the paper I jumped on it.

As far as the blow up pontoons go there is a guy up around Irons that makes a real great one. I know guys that haul them inflated on top of their vehicles at 70 mph down the x/way

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #35 on: Apr 29, 2015, 09:00 AM »
that pontoon boat looks nice, but reading your butt gets wet and feet are always wet keeps me from buying one. holds 700#

the kayak seats have adjustable backs and allows you to have it way back or bending you over. if you have it lean way back or further back, you can bend your knees or have your legs resting on top of the front of the cockpit. seems as tho most of the yaks have large cockpits now unless you are into speed. even then, they are large openings too.

my butt was falling asleep last time out with gills biting fly's,got ten nice ones, one is 9.5". so i didn't want to quit and was in the yak for maybe 5 hours w/o a break sitting on top of a boat cushion and one behind me until the new seat from old town shows up. the old town dirigo boat seat is much better than the old town vapor 10 seat. so another 150$ later to be comfortable hopefully.

want to go again today, but have to do more burning at the golf coarse while the winds are low. the yak and fly rods are waiting in my van for when ever i have a chance tho. its a nice set up to be that ready and portable and have it all locked up too and no live bait needed.

makes me think maybe waders might be another good option to be that ready too. altho i have zero experience with them.

tomturkey

« Reply #36 on: Apr 29, 2015, 01:02 PM »
I bought a canoe that had the seats set so low I had to put at least two throwables on the seat to make it bearable to use. I plan on giving a yac a try this summer.

In the old wood canoe I seldom sat on the seat. I rode on with my knees on a throwable under them and my butt resting on the front bar of the seat. It is a lot easier to control a canoe in a kneeling position in fast water.

Most of the little pontoons are used by trout fishermen on smaller streams where they get out or stand to fish.

This is the guy at Irons. Dave lives right on the Little Manistee. Go up there and test drive one. www.dryflyboats.com

SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

« Reply #37 on: Apr 29, 2015, 07:35 PM »
I have a friend that has a 10 foot aluminum canoe. It was a display model from a Bargain City store in Toledo many years ago. I have been trying to buy it for years and he said he was never going to sell it. I am starting to believe him. It weighs about 35 lbs. He uses it to get across a big creek where he bow hunts. I even offered to build him a bridge. ::)
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #38 on: Apr 30, 2015, 09:42 AM »
i think the link you wanted to post is http://dryflyfloatboats.com
i liked the photos of people using them and looking at designs and features was nice to understand them better.
thanks for the share!. that boat is for folks using waders mostly and  i might try that next. i live on a creek and watched the dnr stock it with trout just out side my door.

jimmy, why not just buy some else you might like? it sure is fun being on the water in some thing different.

heres a kayak and canoe all in one, best of both worlds
http://www.paddlenext.com/

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 08:15 AM »
bought another yak yesterday at dunhams sports. for the cost, they are super. they have a hull that sits flat in the water and is hard to tip and not tippy at all. thats why i bought it beside wanting more yaks.
its a future beach mariner 10.4 for 180$, retail/msrp US$429.99. i have coupons for it that expire at close today if any one wants one, pm me. i'll be out side rigging her and getting it ready for another day of yak fishing.

http://futurebeach.com/index.php/kayaks/sit-in-kayaks-1/marinertm-124-10-4.html

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=3127

LENGTH 124 in - 315 cm

WIDTH 32 in - 81 cm

HEIGHT 11.5 in - 29 cm

CAPACITY 300 lbs - 136 kg

WEIGHT 45 lbs - 20.5 kg

COCKPIT 38.5 in x 20.5 in - 98 cm x 52 cm

tomturkey

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 11:20 AM »
Fishing will have to wait. I finally got all the green moss power washed off of the toon yesterday. I think any way as I have not looked since it dried off.

My turkey hunting starts on Monday. Going over in the morning so I can do some scouting Sunday even though my son scouts on his way to work every morning. Weather for the first part of next week looked pretty wet on the news last night. No worry as I have the rest of May to shoot a turkey.  The benefit is the run off will just fertilize the ground.

If you want to fish a lake out of a dryfly toon isn't there a foot rest to keep your feet out the water? If not I know dave can make a foot area to your specs. Most of the guys I know that bought boats from Dave are like those in the pictures, they are trout stream fishing. They float and then get out of the boat and fish when they get to a place they want to work for  a while.

smeltbuster

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 08:38 PM »
bought another yak yesterday at dunhams sports. for the cost, they are super. they have a hull that sits flat in the water and is hard to tip and not tippy at all. thats why i bought it beside wanting more yaks.
its a future beach mariner 10.4 for 180$, retail/msrp US$429.99. i have coupons for it that expire at close today if any one wants one, pm me. i'll be out side rigging her and getting it ready for another day of yak fishing.

http://futurebeach.com/index.php/kayaks/sit-in-kayaks-1/marinertm-124-10-4.html

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=3127

LENGTH 124 in - 315 cm

WIDTH 32 in - 81 cm

HEIGHT 11.5 in - 29 cm

CAPACITY 300 lbs - 136 kg

WEIGHT 45 lbs - 20.5 kg

COCKPIT 38.5 in x 20.5 in - 98 cm x 52 cm

I bought one of these for my wife, Wed. night. She used it tonight , for the 1st. time & loves it. I bought a Future Beach trophy angler 126 last fall, for duck hunting & it is Awesome.  These yaks are really stable, even when you shoot off to the side w/ a 12 ga. !!!  Cant wait to try it for fishing.
Yes I am here, but I would rather be on the Kenai river,fishing for reds!

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 09:47 PM »
smeltbuster, i used it today for the first outing in it too. rock steady and not tippy at all. it is small feeling because it is a flat top yak. was very cramped in it with the same things i take in my old town vapor 10 angler. i figured it would be super steady on water, but didn't figure the space was so much less.
was missing the paddle park slots a lot and the extra leg room to move them around. for the sale price of 180$ its nice, but not retail price because of the small amount of leg room with the things i bring and set up under the front of the deck.
i added the yak gear deluxe anchor trolly and a rod holder for her.
we will be going all week end in them and i'm looking forward to the old town now. my wife will have plenty of room being 5' and 35# lighter.

tom, theres a ton of turkey where we fish. they were making noise all day and have been for weeks.
those mini pontoon boats and style of fishing is not for me yet. still getting into kayaking for now. waders might be the next thing to try out and then those boats.

tomturkey

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 06:32 AM »
With the way my back is I do not think that there is any way I can be comfortable in a yac, as much as I would love to. I will stick to my 16 foot pontoon. Plenty of room to move around.

The turkeys in the north have taken a big hit from the last two winters. Some of them froze to death in the trees from the brutal old last winter. We do not have all the ag land to support them through the winter. The MWTHA buys tons of corn to try and help them through the harsh winters but you have to find where they are to feed them.

smeltbuster

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2015, 04:39 PM »
3300, my wife is 5' 2" & 110 lbs., its a perfect yak for her !  She wont be fishing in it, just relaxing, paddling around. When I duck hunt, I pull my Jet sled behind it, full of dekes. Plenty of room in the "Trophy",  for what I expected. On a side note; Who else felt the "Quake" today?  I thought the chandelier in our dining room was going to  fly into my wife's china cabinet.
Yes I am here, but I would rather be on the Kenai river,fishing for reds!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.