FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: flies?  (Read 4322 times)

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
flies?
« on: Aug 24, 2009, 09:10 PM »
so far at my lake i've only ever been able to catch bass on woolly buggers, are there any other flies i should try? the best colors seem to be black or green. also, the larger bass seem to turn up their noses at everything i throw at them, be it flies, crankbaits, or otherwise.

slowroller

Re: flies?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2009, 09:33 PM »
small wooden poppers

BBK

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2009, 04:26 PM »
Giant foam grasshoppers.

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2009, 09:33 AM »
I've tied up some really ugly looking foam frogs. My first attempts at this but the bass seem to like them.  I have also caught bass on over-sized black spiders. They are about t hree or four times bigger than a spider you would use to catch a bluegill. Big poppers also work. If you know - or can afford - some deer hair mouse patterns they look really neat and I hear they work.  Good luck.

Spitfire

• A.K.A." Double-L" on I.S.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2009, 06:40 PM »
so far at my lake i've only ever been able to catch bass on woolly buggers, are there any other flies i should try? the best colors seem to be black or green. also, the larger bass seem to turn up their noses at everything i throw at them, be it flies, crankbaits, or otherwise.
   For years all I did was Fly fish for bass w/ homemade poppers......Absolute blast; you can cover a lot of water quickly......I would fish them very fast;  "Worked for me"  ::).....Don't give up.      Lou
CATCH & RELEASE  "For Another Day"

cdc

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2009, 05:55 AM »
Try trolling streamer flies.
 Use sinking line that will get down past 10feet and troll.
You might be surprised how many bass you can catch  ;)

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2009, 02:57 PM »
Mickey Finns and Black Daces are ye ole standbys for streamers and are great for Bass like the fellas say.

Muddler Minnows can be good in waters that contain similar prey.

Dun hesitate to tie some crawdad patterns if your after smallies. I tie them smaller than normal, but Bass inhale them.

There is also a salt water minnow I tie with barbell/hourglass lead eyes.... the simple name is elusive right now... but normally it is tied with two colors of bucktail, darker on top. You can match the baitfish in your area well with the spectrum of bucktail available. These can be fished stripped quikly, or slow like a bottom bouncer depending upon what the fish want. I use fresh water bass hooks on these instead of expensive salt water hooks... I am sure someone will come up with the name of these....

One more you may want to tie is made from used wine bottle corks, or rubber stoppers. Carve out the front so it throws water like a Hula Popper, carve a trough for a light wire hook, and add feathers of your choice... awesome nightime top-water... use black for night...  Painting the cork/rubber will seal in the wine smell.
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

luckyduck22

• Get em
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2009, 08:53 PM »
i use a crawfish looking pattern...they are similar to these...........http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/crayfish.htm

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2010, 03:02 PM »
I like to throw top-water mouse patterns as well as the tiny wooden poppers.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Clouser minnows
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.