FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best Frogging Rod...Spinning?  (Read 3609 times)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Best Frogging Rod...Spinning?
« on: Feb 07, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I throw a ton of scum frogs during the bass season and currently have a casting rod that Im happy with, but sometimes I like to jump to a spinning rod that allows me some extra casting distance.

I have been looking at a 7ft St.Croix Mojo rod, it is Heavy with a fast tip, seems like it has a ton of back bone

anyone familiar with this rod, and if so, what are your thoughts?

slipperybob

Re: Best Frogging Rod...Spinning?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Not familiar with the Mojo rods.  I used to throw a frog on a 7' H Cabela's XML rod. 
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

BBK

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2010, 11:05 PM »
I use a 7ft H mojo bass casting rod with 65lb braid for frogs. Spinning reels dont have the power to horse out a monster before he buries you, and definitely doesn't have enough spool space to handle 50lb + line that you need for frog fishing.

slipperybob

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2010, 01:22 AM »
You could use a Shimano Stradic 4000 size reel.  Line retrieval of 36 inches per hand crank.  20# of drag pressure and capable of spooling close to 100 yrds of 65# braid.  That's more than most low profile reels with around 10-12 lbs of drag pressure.  Those Revos with their 20#+ are the rare exception.  Most baitcasting reels can only get you around 24+ inches per handle crank with gearing around 6+ to 1.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:29 AM »
I own a 4000 stradic, but i find it heavy so i have not tried if for froggin, it is paired up with a H 7ft crucial a combo i use for pike in my area. I may give it a shot this summer

slipperybob

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2010, 11:44 AM »
I heard someone claimed that they got 18.75# on a boga grip with the drag knob cinched down on their Diawa Tierra 2500 that's rated for only 8.8# of drag.  I'm not sure how practical that is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.