FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bass Rod Set-up  (Read 7266 times)

TPB

• bad day of fishing beats any day at work
Bass Rod Set-up
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:07 AM »
Hey guys I'm looking for some recommendations on a good set up for bass.  A little background.  I basically never understood what I saw as a "Yankee" (sorry, lol) preoccupation with bass fishing, untill we went on our first fly in trip.  Here in Manitoba our master angler bass is 18", which is not much compared to more southern areas, but when I hooked into a 17.5" fish I was hooked.  Now when we go it's basically get enough pickeral for shore lunch and then it's all about the bass for me.  I want to pick up a new rod and reel combo this year for our yearly trip and was wondering what you guys would reccommend.  So far I've basically been limited to throwing poppers for them but have picked up a book on bass fishing techniques and am looking forward to trying some new techniques.  Right now I'm using an light ugly stick and a Quantum Array spinning reel.  I think total for this set up was like $75-$100, but willing to spend up to probably $300-$350.

So what would you all reccommend?  Spinning reel? Bait caster?  Light?  Ultra light?

Thanks for all the help guys, so far I have been unable to make it over that 18" mark, I seem to be a hair short so many times, so hopefully this year is the year. 

It's easier to beg forgiveness that to get permission

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Bass Rod Set-up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011, 03:29 PM »
This Yankee likes to use a 7 1/2 ft medium heavy spinning outfit with 10 pound vanish line on it..  A good all round set up for topwater, crank/stick baits and plastics...   Are you going to be fishing for Large or Small Mouth Bass???
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

TPB

• bad day of fishing beats any day at work
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:19 PM »
Where we go on our fly in it is smallmouth, and will be what I will primarily be targeting.  I would like to make a trip to Lake of the Woods one weekend this summer and there is both there.  Thanks.
It's easier to beg forgiveness that to get permission

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:33 PM »
If you get through the first couple pages of my pictures you can see I like catching bass sometimes.. ;D ::)

http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=32674.0 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:12 PM »
I like a 6'6" baitcaster with a 10 bearing Pflueger baitcaster reel and the rod is a G.Loomis!!!Rigged with berkely 12#XT Smooth casting with a Pline 8 pound leader
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

keva

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:22 PM »
I love my 6' 6" med heavy rod for bass. I believe it is a bass proshops rod, I got it for $70. My reel stats are eluding me, but it is a baitcasting reel that ran around $120. Baitcasters take time to learn and use to their full capability. If you fish a lot throughout the year I would recommend a baitcasting reel, but different people will have different preferences. If this is only for a yearly trip, I would stick to spinning as they work great and you won't have to undergo some of the frustration that comes with learning to use a baitcasting reel. My set up works great for pike too! :D

slipperybob

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:38 PM »
If the bass are always aggressive and can be caught fairly close, then baitcasting set up all the way.  If you need to finesse and get casting distance then a spinning set up is the way to go.  I'm a Shimano reel guy and a St.Croix rod guy so that's what I'll use.  I'm thinking a Shimano Stradic 3000 with a 6'8 medium Xfast tip works for me.  Although I have a baitcasting set up with a Shimano Chronarch on that.  I'm going to set it up with 20# Sufix 832 braid.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:43 PM »
I will give you some canadian content here, I target bass nearly 90% of the time and find that MH rods are the way to go and are nearly universal, I use various lengths but 7ft is also quickly becoming a fav of  mine. My rods are split down the middle between baitcasters and spinning reel., the casters do the heavier work and the spinning reels are finesse only

If you are targeting smallies I like to drop shot and drag tubes, two techniques that always catch fish. If you are headed to a fly in, the low fishing pressure usually opens up your technique opportunities, start throwing crank baits and spinner baits, things that will cover a lot of water fast, you will find and catch fish

If you are not taking advantage of dawn and dusk top water bitesm then shame on you..lol  ;D

BoutTime

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2011, 04:46 PM »
I dont use rods any longer than 6 foot, and love to scale down to lighter action 5 foot or even 4'6" on occasion. You may want a few different sizes/actions for different lures though.

Rubber grubs in pumpkinseed color and Bandit model 100 square lip cranks work d**n good for me..

monkeyman2269

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2011, 04:48 PM »
7 foot meduim action quantum with a quantum real u cant beat it

jibbs

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2011, 07:04 PM »
i use variety in my set ups..i fish for bass 100 percent of the time and i have rods that range from 6'6 to 7'2...i prefer seven footers for baitcasters but like 6'6 for spinning gear...my deep cranking rod is 7'2 and my drop shot rod is 6'9...i do prefer medium heavy action but there is a place for other action rods...i do have one heavy that i put heavy braid for pitching and frogs...
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.