FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How do you finance the habit?  (Read 3106 times)

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
Re: How do you finance the habit?
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2010, 02:31 PM »
canoes  are  nice  i  have  one  along  with  a  few   kayaks  and  a  14   beater  ....   you  can  get a  good  used   john  boat  and  either a  small outboard  of   good  electric  cheap  you all  good   after  a  certin  age  the  big boat  becomes  more  work  then  fun  anyways  ....  ya  need  any  help  theres  plenty  of  guys  that are  more  then  willing  to  help a  bro  out  !  ;D
you know you do not have to own a nice boat and have a very expensive truck to tow it around to catch fish. i spent well over 20 years on Oneida lake/ sandy pond in a boat that we all called the *Spoon*. a 12ft boat with a 10 hoarse motor that was about as stable hollowed out log for cribes sakes. but i can say this that there was more walleyes and other fish that were caught in that thing then most average fisherman have ever caught in there life. i do and have owned a decent boat for a long time now and i replaced the floor this year and got it all set up prior to may and have used it once ??? i have fished with Trapper, SC, His father and even Snagger and another freind of mine for perch a couple of weeks back. now that i look at it why do i even have a boat anymore. i was out in the swamp today by myself in the pouring rain in my canoe and you know what it was great. i do want to try out Trappers Kyak though sometime.

iceplank

« Reply #16 on: Aug 23, 2010, 07:18 AM »
Yep. My boat is for family fun in July & August for those that don't have the fishing bug like I do. Maybe when I get as old as you it will stretch from Memorial to Labor day... ;D
absolutely. i find i save $$ by not fishing anytime i have some time. i stay off the water from late june till sept usually unless we are up at champlain that doesnt have all that traffic. i save gas and launch fees that can be used when the fishing is hot and not used to get slapped by giant phallic extention boats and jet skis. i also try to avoid the bow opener for hunting season then hit it hard during the rut. picking and choosing days give me a specific $$ saving goal.also my wife is 10 yrs younger  and doesnt have the professional retirement perks i will have and will still be working 20 yrs after i retire.i figure she can finance me as i grow older ::)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2010, 07:26 AM »
wow   screw  that ,  not  fishing  isn't  the  answer!  but  a  small  car  top  that   you  don't  have  to pay launch fee's  for  might  be!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

hoghammer

« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:13 AM »
After 40 years of collecting gear I have all that I need and then some. My 10 - 15 yr old rods still do the job. Still buy the occasional toy but I have been making my own jigs and wieghts etc for 30 years. I have passed down tackle boxes full of stuff to each of my kids and now its the grandkids i find myself outfitting. Luckily for me I have had a decent job and will be retiring in May but it helps that the wife make 3 times the money I do and she doesnt mind me spending her money on fishing. It also helps that she loves to get out and do some camping and fishing. I am truly one of the lucky people who doesnt have to worry about where the money will come from to enjoy my only vice in life.

Woods Wise

« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I married a doctor ;D

mrfish365

« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:42 AM »
im by no means rich, but i can say i always have enough to keep what is neccessary in my tackle box. one thing i realized as far as bigger purchases like whole setups is to buy the best quality you are capable of which a lot of times means more expensive but you will be satisfied and it will last a long time...  ;D

mrfish365

« Reply #21 on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:53 AM »
you know you do not have to own a nice boat and have a very expensive truck to tow it around to catch fish.

i agree 100%... i love my 12 ft aluminum trolling motor and 5hp... my 1st boat, I got it this year... i dont feel at a disadvantage at all , I only would if I fished any of the super big lakes. im extremely happy with and have caught a lot of fish already

Rev. N.

« Reply #22 on: Aug 27, 2010, 03:07 PM »
Started day trips ice fishing a few years ago. Little by little, shopping sales, craigslist, e-bay, Sports Authority, Dick's, Wal-Mart close outs, I am now well equipped and camp out 2-3 days at a time. Santa helped out a little too (gift cards, cash, specific items from a "wish list"). Now, as I can swing it, I up grade equipment(i.e.- last year went from a hand auger to a power one, stopped walking, bought a fixer-upper snowmobile, used it for a while, sold it for a profit and got an ATV with tracks, etc.). Not to mention the great prices at the Ice Fishing Show in Syracuse (see Iceshanty.com for details).

Open water, my son was given a boat off of craigslist, about three years ago. Needed everything. Slowly, off of e-bay, craigslist and local marinas, we put her together. Finally made it to the water a couple of weeks ago. Still needs a few little things and she isn't pretty, but the 19.5 fiberglass boat, 2.3 liter Ford engine gets me to my bass spots. We have a little less into her than market value, did it a little at a time as we could scrape up the money, so no boat payment. Got a trailer and another boat off of craigslist (boat was trash, trailer was good, cut up the boat, sold the engine & bought parts for our boat project). Trailer was good, with a few new rollers, new wirring and a little paint, we are on our way. I use my ice jigging pole and some of the tackle for open water, watched the sales, got some other equipment given to me (this year it was a fly rod, no reel, got a cheap reel on sale at Dick's & I'm catching bass on it!).

No launch fees on three spots on Sacandaga Res. (Northville, Broadalbin and Saratoga County Launches). And YES, THERE ARE FISH IN THAT LAKE! I have three bass spots in that lake, one is right off of my family's beach front. I have 15 bass in the freezer and threw back four to five times that many (we won't keep anything under 14.5 inches, our freezer keepers run from 14.5 to 18.75 inches). Caught a half dozen walley's, all dinks, went back. Will be there this weekend, only got skunked one Sunday a few weeks back when it started to rain. Should be a good bass weekend!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: Aug 27, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I love these stories :thumbup_smilie:

You guys are the best! It's really great to hear how you all handle the financial challenges of pursuing your passions. I've always seen it as effort well invested. Work for what you love.

Life is good...Eh Trapper?
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #24 on: Aug 27, 2010, 05:14 PM »
you know you do not have to own a nice boat and have a very expensive truck to tow it around to catch fish. i spent well over 20 years on Oneida lake/ sandy pond in a boat that we all called the *Spoon*. a 12ft boat with a 10 hoarse motor that was about as stable hollowed out log for cribes sakes. but i can say this that there was more walleyes and other fish that were caught in that thing then most average fisherman have ever caught in there life. i do and have owned a decent boat for a long time now and i replaced the floor this year and got it all set up prior to may and have used it once ??? i have fished with Trapper, SC, His father and even Snagger and another freind of mine for perch a couple of weeks back. now that i look at it why do i even have a boat anymore. i was out in the swamp today by myself in the pouring rain in my canoe and you know what it was great. i do want to try out Trappers Kyak though sometime.

my dad used to have a 14ft v hull boat with a 9 hp merc , we used for ducks, putting downriggers on it, and boards, hammered browns in the spring, and caught a limit of eyes everytime on oneida, he bought a lund pro v with a fancy yamaha motor, and we arent have as successful for walleyes, its all about controling your drift, we have to use 4 drift socks, huge pain, he always says , i wwish i still had the duck boat, oh by the way we sht a ton of ducks in it, cant bring the lund duck hunting

Dan_lais

• waiting for ice.
« Reply #25 on: Aug 28, 2010, 08:20 PM »
no kids an ole lady to split bills and go to work everyday at 5 AM.that will fill your box in a hurry.the other thing is dont get all caught up in he said she said stuff.buy variations of what works for you not what works for someone else. 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.