FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question about float fishing on the Salmon River  (Read 5981 times)

ripple

Re: Question about float fishing on the Salmon River
« Reply #45 on: Aug 25, 2010, 05:24 PM »
how  can  the  dec  justify  making  a  noodle  rod  fisherman  run a  four  foot  leader  in  clear  water  for  steelhead?????  crazy   %^*%. yet  as a  fly  fisherman  i  can  run  any  length  leader  i  wish !!!!   attach  weight  where  ever  (no  swivel ,and  wieght  the  fly  ....fair????  i  think  not  but  ......
The regs are the same.. It's not the leader length and you don't even need to use a leader at all ,please show me where it says you must use a leader (except the fly zones) it's the weight distance 4 ' from hook which are the same for all. What would be the purpose of keeping your weight any more then a few inches to a foot from your fly,bait or whatever, other then a sweep effect ? I thought the closer to your fly the deeper it will run. If you present the fly properly that will be what the fish will see. Same for Salmon, steelhead or browns.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #46 on: Aug 25, 2010, 10:51 PM »
The regs are the same.. It's not the leader length and you don't even need to use a leader at all ,please show me where it says you must use a leader (except the fly zones) it's the weight distance 4 ' from hook which are the same for all. What would be the purpose of keeping your weight any more then a few inches to a foot from your fly,bait or whatever, other then a sweep effect ? I thought the closer to your fly the deeper it will run. If you present the fly properly that will be what the fish will see. Same for Salmon, steelhead or browns.

Us noodle rodders and spinning guys who steelhead fish have always called the section between the hook and the added weight, leaders, just slang or our lingo, that's all.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #47 on: Aug 26, 2010, 01:55 PM »
For deep water holes, i run slip floats with a sliding egg sinker above my swivel (and florocarbon leader).  I put a small bead above the swivel or the sinker hole will get augured out and/or swivel get's smashed.  This way you are always legal.  You can use some heavy weight and get your bait down fast! 

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #48 on: Aug 26, 2010, 02:01 PM »
Hi guys,
I came to the SR last November for Steelhead and Browns. I was there for 3.5 days and only hooked into one fish, was a great fight for about 10 minutes with a steelhead and it finally was able to snap my line somehow. That one fish made sure I'm coming back again this year.

My question is this. I used a noodle rod spinning reel outfit last year. I used a main line of 20lb attached to a small swivel with 10lb fluro. I used a float about 6 feet up on the 10 foot leader with some split shot above the lure. My question is, how long should I have the leader below the float? How am I supposed to know if the hole I'm fishing in is 4 feet deep or 10? I'm assuming that i need to get to the bottom of whatever hole I'm fishing for the fish to take the lure/bait. Should I not use the float and just use split shot with a strike indicator to make sure I'm getting to the bottom?

Any advice is appreciated.
-Scott

I run 10-12 lbs main line and 4-6 lbs leader for trout.  You probably had a knot failure or frayed spot in your leader.  Happens all the time.  I usually run anywhere from 2 ft to 4 ft distance from float to bait (depending on the hole).  You don't always have to be scraping the bottom.   ;)  Try a centerpin reel!!  You will have improved success (after the learning curve).  I floated with a spinning reel for years and never will again.

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #49 on: Aug 28, 2010, 03:24 PM »
WOW Thanks guys, I never expected to start such controversy!!!

I appreciate all of the good information!

-Scott
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.