FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How do you finance the habit?  (Read 3112 times)

rainrock

How do you finance the habit?
« on: Aug 21, 2010, 09:51 PM »
Personally, most of my paycheck goes towards everything but fishing  :cursing:. I'm think about doing something to make some extra money on the side to finance my fishing passion. I've learned you can spend as much or as little as you want. So... how do you finance the fishing habit?

Spikehorn11

Re: How do you finance the habit?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2010, 12:19 AM »
Most of the summer I work 2-3 extra shifts of overtime. May, Oct and Nov I don't do it so I can fish and hunt.

I do some side work to but the overtime goes toward my credit card that I buy most of my shooting and outdoor gear.

Reel Force

« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2010, 01:17 AM »
Male exotic dancer  :w00t:.......... :cookoo:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2010, 01:54 AM »
After 50 or so years of fishing, there's very little I "need". At this point, time is the most expensive commodity. I buy as much time as I can afford. Then I beg, borrow or steal the time I can't afford. ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Chainsaw

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2010, 03:26 AM »
I've managed to accumulate enough stuff over fifty plus years and I always 'Need' something new. I bring all my beer bottles back to the store and get a new rod, reel, or something else at whatever garage sales have it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2010, 04:42 AM »
i'm  like  RG  now  but  heres a few  suggestions  ......   yard  sales  are  a  great  way  of  finding   tackle  at  great pricess ,   the  junk  pins   and   dump  sales  ...i  just  got  20  rebels  from  a  walmart  for  a  buck  apiece  and  filled  up  on  panther  martins  at a  buck!   mail  order  discount   ,you  can  find  some  great  deals   via  the  internet ,  make  your  own    not  only  can this   save  you  cash  but has a  special  reward  of  it's  own   i  tie    alot  of  my own  rods   and  all my  flys  (except    patterns  we  trade off  )  ...  me  personally  i  have  sold  many  flies  to  fisherman  and   bait  shops  which helps  with  gas  and  coffee  or trade  for  supplys  .... or  simply  marry  a  rich  women  works  too
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

XII Outdoors

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2010, 06:29 AM »
i just go further into debt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1fish@atime

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2010, 07:06 AM »
Keep all my change in a bucket, run it through a change machine every three years. Nets around 50-75 bucks.
This year has been slim, spent my extra money on a boat and set it up. Didn't get to use it a bunch due to losing my job, but hopefully next year is better. I used to have all the money I needed to do things but worked all the time for it. Working on a balance now, make enough money to survive and have a little to do things, but time to enjoy those things. I see a friend doing the same thing I did. He works all the time, sure he has some extra money.
But he grasps at those times he can get out, and not everyone has the same schedule.
I do like the rich wife idea Trap!!! Not sure mine would let me get another though, she has grown attached to me after 23 years together today.....

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2010, 07:15 AM »
over the years i've collected most everything i really need but has taken most my life to get to this point,[time is now the big factor] now i save left over coffee change ,wait for sales ,make some things myself , and when it comes to birthdays and xmas i ask for just gift cards ,and my better half likes to fish so i let her by things for me to  :w00t:

Hollywood

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2010, 07:23 AM »
Fish within your means. I grew up stream fishing or fishing from shore...then we got a canoe...then a 12' rowboat ...etc... had at least as much fun when the only tackle I owned was a box of #10 dry fly hooks & a bag of splitshot to go with a hand me down rod & an old creel. I used to watch all the boats heading out as we were shore fishing- I wanted to be able to do that too but it was 10 years before I could swing my first boat. No sense having a nice rig and working evenings & weekends to pay for it. Keep it simple.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2010, 08:20 AM »
I guess I'm regressing Tom....I've spent my summer in the stream. Seems like anymore, I park my boat from Memorial day to Labor day. Then there's all that perch fishing to be done in the fall before the ice sets in  and after the ice goes out ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bogmanjr

• KET-CHEN-ENY ?
« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2010, 08:28 AM »
2 Fulltime and 1 parttime job, I will not pay someone to do something that I can do myself and If I can make it ,I will instead of buying it.
Never turn down OT (unless it's during hunting season). Don't eat out unless it's a special occasion. I tend to buy stuff in bulk too, line,hooks and I do hit the bargin bin's when I see them. Trap my own bait. And lastly I check the Cabelas bargain cave weekly.  

Geez I sound like a real tightwad huh?

Hollywood

« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2010, 08:59 AM »
I guess I'm regressing Tom....I've spent my summer in the stream. Seems like anymore, I park my boat from Memorial day to Labor day. Then there's all that perch fishing to be done in the fall before the ice sets in  and after the ice goes out ;D

RG

Yep. My boat is for family fun in July & August for those that don't have the fishing bug like I do. Maybe when I get as old as you it will stretch from Memorial to Labor day... ;D

rainrock

« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2010, 09:01 AM »
One of the things I've resolved to do is use all the resources available to me. I just discovered that because I'm a member of the Air National Guard, I get a free sporting license and I can rent a canoe or kayak for $10 a day from the rec center! They also have two 16' bass boats for rent along with tons of other camping equipment! That'll get me on the water while I save my pennies for a boat.

I'm with ya bogmanjr, my uncle makes a lot of his own jigs and worm harnesses too so he's going to show me how to do it and I can use his equipment until I can get my own.

And like Hollywood said, I'll be fishing within my means. My first boat will most likely be a canoe and I want to look into fishing some of the streams that are in my area (no boat required!)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2010, 01:25 PM »
canoes  are  nice  i  have  one  along  with  a  few   kayaks  and  a  14   beater  ....   you  can  get a  good  used   john  boat  and  either a  small outboard  of   good  electric  cheap  you all  good   after  a  certin  age  the  big boat  becomes  more  work  then  fun  anyways  ....  ya  need  any  help  theres  plenty  of  guys  that are  more  then  willing  to  help a  bro  out  !  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.