FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mayfly Nymph Pattern?  (Read 2076 times)

adrock

Mayfly Nymph Pattern?
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:55 AM »
Fished on saturday afternoon, cold, drizzling but there was a small hatch of mayflys going on, had a good surface imataion that picked up a few fish, but i suspect most of the fish were feeding on nymphs just below the surface.  Anyone got any good nymph patterns with recipies they don't mind sharing?

mt2

• Saratoga
Re: Mayfly Nymph Pattern?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 06:39 PM »
 You cant go wrong with a pheasant tail nymph. Just match the size to the flys hatching. My guess is that Hendricksons were hatching, so a #12or a #14 would probably cover it.

adrock

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 06:47 AM »
Sweet i'll give it a go.  Found that and another one i might try as well (CDC emerger)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 08:04 AM »
I usually tie up a dunch of different colored tiny stone flies, brassies ect. I really haven't found the fish to be selective on a couple of stream I fish when it comes to nymphs. I use a dark rusted orange or red to imitate a hendrickson nymph. Typicaly if you look close during a hendrickson hatch there are a couple other mayflies in the mix, usually not as prolific as the hendricksons but could also explain why they don't get picky on the nymphs.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

adrock

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 11:18 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I have only really started getting into tying my own flies in the last year and it has taken my love/obsession of fly fishing to a whole different level.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.