FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How to chose a FlyRod...?  (Read 3854 times)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
How to chose a FlyRod...?
« on: Mar 16, 2006, 05:48 PM »
Ok, So I have decided I would like to try flyfishing...My problem is...I dont know where to start....I have been looking at rods and reel in some local shops as well as on-line...I dont want to drop a few + hundred bucks on some really high end stuff..but on the other hand Im not looking for a piece of crap either...somthing in the middle would be perfect

1) What name brands can I trust?
2) how long a rod should I look for
3) Whats in a reel? metal vs. plastic and size?
4) Type and size line  (bass fishing)

If you need more info let me know...any help would be appreciated.

thanx

Kyle

Re: How to chose a FlyRod...?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2006, 05:59 PM »
well how much do you want to spend...
i spent 500 bucks on my 6 weight and its a medium-high end rod/reel.
some good starting brands would be redington,scott,st.croix
you can get some pretty good deals off ebay if you look on there.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2006, 06:22 PM »
My first considerations would be;
-what are you going to fish for...species
-what type of water...streams, ponds, open water
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2006, 06:53 PM »
For the most part I will be fishing in small lakes and ponds...I mostly fish for bass and would hope to do so on the flyrod as well. But I would be fishing Trout as a secondary...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:14 PM »
I use a number of different flyrods but one of my favorites for open water ponds and rivers is a 5-6 weight, 8' Pflueger IM-6 I bought at Dick's on sale for about $40. It retailed for about $120.

I put a Pflueger Medalist reel with a suitable Cortland 555 Double Taper, Weight Forward line on it.  I cannot begin to tell you the numbers of fish I've caught with that rig. By no means the best in my arsenal but still my "go-to" setup.

Scientific Anglers makes some reasonable reels and decent quality line. St. Croix are very nice rods for the price. Cabelas also offers less expensive rods that are hard to beat. As you get better, you'll be able to appreciate the better feel and action of good quality equipment, but, it takes time.

Whatever you do, buy the best flyline and take care of it...the paybacks are worth it.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:23 PM »
For the most part I will be fishing in small lakes and ponds...I mostly fish for bass and would hope to do so on the flyrod as well. But I would be fishing Trout as a secondary...

If you're looking to spend no more than 200 bucks try a Cabelas combo. At the moment they have a PT 866 combo on sale for 170 bucks.  You get an 8.5 ft, 6wt rd, Cabelas reel and weight forward line, and some extras - all under your 200 buck limit.  

6 weight is a good all around weight for smallies (maybe 7 weight for the large bass bugs) and will 2nd as a trout rod on decent size streams.  

Fishing for bass (and panfish) in ponds and rivers is a lot of fun and bass aren't nearly as fussy as trout.  

Good Luck
Bart

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:26 PM »
Whats everyones thoughts on Okuma?...this seems to be a popular brand around here and is carried in a lot of local shops...this is one that sparked my interest

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewokumafly.html

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:35 PM »
I have a few Okuma spinning reels....love them...they're tanks....don't know about their fly fishing equipment. If it's as good as their reels...I'd trust it.

RG

Fish Monger

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2006, 11:13 AM »
I have a large arbor Okuma.... awesome reel!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2006, 11:32 AM »
I have a large arbor Okuma.... awesome reel!

I have that same reel and thought it was great the first few times I used it.  Then I realized it is junk.  I have sent it back to the factory twice in 2 years, and it is broken again!!  The underside of the reel had sharp edges that I had to file down (it was tearing apart my flyline).  The drag constantly slips, giving me a nasty backlash in the middle of fighting a fish AND the d**n reel seat screws have stripped out. JUNK!

bearME

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2006, 04:17 AM »
bassjunky , I have a Cabelas PT 8'6" 6wt rod I bought last year. I got the combo with the CSR reel. I like the rod allot. It's a med action which I was told is best to learn with. I've caught bass , pickerel ,trout and panfish with it. Another nice rod for the money is the Orvis clearwater. Both rods are backed by 25 year no fault warranties and both are USA made.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2006, 06:38 PM »
Buy a fly rod you can get multi use out of and a warranty, part of fly fishing is breaking a rod every now and then, it happens.. If your going to bedoing a lot of bass fishing and a bit of trout you probably are not gonna want to get anything smaller than a med action 9.0ft  6 wt  and I would recomend a full wells grip and fighting butt attachment option.. I am not knocking any of the low end rods there great for occasional use but if your going to use the rod week in and week out spend a little, custom rods are the way to go and believe it or not they are not that expensive and most you can get with a warranty  I have a a med action 10ft 7wt that I use for everything, trout, bass, pike, salmon cost was $185 I love it.. I put an Orvis Battenkill reel on it for an extra $85 and the reel has never failed in the 9 years I have owned it and its a nice smooth reel.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Fish Monger

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2006, 10:52 AM »
I 'm in my second year of using it and have had no problems.... oh well......

Know what, buy an El Cheapo at WalMart for 20 bucks and give it a shot this summer. $20 bucks will work just long enough for you to get addicted and be willing to spend several hundred dollars on gear you really want!

I started my father in law with a $20 Shakespeare rod and reel combo. I did buy sinking line seperate from the standard floating line that comes with the kit. I think it's easier for a beginner to start with just because you don't have to wait and match the dry fly hatches.
And he's coming around..... especially since I keep him fed with flies   ;D

Just my 2 cents

sparky

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2006, 11:45 AM »
I just bought a temple fork outfiter rod 9 ft 10 wt for 99 bucks for stripers .. 5, 6,  7, wts are about 89 bucks i believe ... they have a no fault warranty on them ... pay the shipping to return the rod and they will send you a new rod no questions asked ...  for a reel for fresh water try a scientific angler to match the rod .
All fisherman lie , except for you and me and I not sure about you .

cdc

« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2006, 08:31 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.