FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Perch in rivers  (Read 3177 times)

suskymusky

Perch in rivers
« on: Aug 13, 2004, 06:03 AM »
I've been getting some occasional perch here in the Susquehanna while walleye fishing.Any body have any tips on locating perch in rivers?I'd like to fish for them on purpose.Do they hang out with the walleye,or are the walleye chasing them?
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Jigwiggler

Re: Perch in rivers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2004, 10:37 AM »
Susky I caught about a dozen while ice fishing for eyes last winter on the Susquehanna.  I don't think they are there in great numbers but they are there.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Liar

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2004, 03:00 AM »

We get them here on the Menominee river (border water between Wisconsin & Michigan).  I've had luck using a slip bobber, small gold hook and one or two split - shot about 6" or less off the bottom.  I usually find them out of the current and near or amongest lilly pads.  Look for the little clear pockets in a bed of pads and cast into it.  I don't get many but they sure are nice and big......hop this helps.

;)  8)Liar

seaweed01

« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2004, 08:34 PM »
Look for the mouth of coves or backwaters that have 3' or more of water. If
there are weedbeds, all the better. If the weeds are there so are the perch. But sometimes they are very spooky in the shallow water so be quiet.  Boat noise, etc.
I have done real well with just a small bobber and a red worm. I always
 do better with the worms in the summer than with minnows. Hard water or in the fall is 
a different story, when minnows usually work better.  I always get a lot of them
thru the ice in the large coves on small minnows or swedish pimples. Hope this
will help you some.
Pete

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.