FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: filet style preference  (Read 6415 times)

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
Re: filet style preference
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2006, 01:30 PM »
- also, unless you take your time with the electric you will miss some meat, it's not a cure for poor fileting skills.

ill agree with that...it is rather a tool for good ones...id like to add that most turkey slicer models do not have a flexible pointy tip like the fishing models do , which is IMO essential
Scotty 

HOOKEMNCOOKEM

« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I use the American Angler electric also. It works fine for me on good size Walleyes (18"-23") too. I just go right along the backbone to the tail, flip it and de-skin it. Then I use my Camillus hand filet knife to take out the ribcage.
I didn't come here to stay home.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2006, 02:16 PM »
I am using the regular Rapala fillet knife, but if I ever get the chance I will try an electric one.

WW

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Just wondering what the general consensus is on standard  or electric knives !
I haven't tried an electric knife yet and haven't ever seen it done but I understand that it is a lot faster and the amount of flesh harvested is greater also .
Is there really any truth to that and if so what kind of knife do you reccomend ?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions !

I'm one of those people that cant use an electric fillet knife, Ive tried to, but Ive never been interested.   I know I can save more meat with a regular standard fillet knife, and still clean up a bunch of fish.     
    I own both, and I don't exactly mind using an electric fillet knife for larger salmon/trout if I'm looking to get filet's (fish that have softer bones) in large amounts, it does help there.     
     But with things like pike/bass/panfish/catfish that have a harder skeleton Ill stick to my standard Old Timer any day.     Ive cleaned way too many to count this way and Ill keep cleaning them by had.    Is just my preference and what works best for me though.
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2006, 06:50 PM »
Thanks to all who have posted replies so far !
I feel I'm pretty handy with a standard knife but I just wanted to see what everyone else does because as you have seen there are many different opinions on the subject .
As some of you have said the panfish are where it seems it would be easier with electric and a bit faster .
I'm gonna try it but like some have said it does take practice and I'm sure before it's over
I'll have a few that look like rice when there done but hey ya gotta start somewhere .

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2006, 07:22 PM »
I'm gonna try it but like some have said it does take practice and I'm sure before it's over
I'll have a few that look like rice when there done but hey ya gotta start somewhere .

start with the small ones  :laugh:
Scotty 

BlackIce

• MFF Mod Team
  • R U scared
« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2006, 08:16 PM »
I don't filet fish often enough or in large enough quantity to bother with anything other than the trusty Rapala.  I managed to butcher a deer with the Rapala one year.
Stop Lurking -  Join today!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #22 on: Jul 24, 2006, 07:14 PM »
I usually leave the rib bones right on the fish, so I don't use an electric knife. Some times with panfish, I leave the skin on the filet, (I scale them first), they seem to hold together better in the pan. I think the biggest secret to successful fileting is a sharp knife. When you have a razor sharp knife, it makes the electric feel cumbersome and unnecessary.

jeem

« Reply #23 on: Jul 25, 2006, 04:49 AM »
I had my wife pick a rechargeable one at Gander Mt. for a Xmas gift and in my first two attempts to fillet some perch and crappies I cut through the back bone.  I like to tell people that I've filleted more fish than they'll ever catch in their lifetime so I'm pretty handy with a Rapala.  My friend told me that the electric knifes designed for fish are too sharp and he uses the household ones and loves them.  I will give it another few tries but right now it's found a place in the kitchen and slices London broil. corned beef and turkey and ham just great and nice and thin.  I've purchased many fillet knifes and use crock sticks to sharpen after every 30 fish but one of my favorites lately is the Rapala with the hard rubber diamond grip handle and it's dishwasher safe since they always seem to find there way into the kitchen.

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #24 on: Jul 25, 2006, 03:19 PM »
You can't beat the speed of and electric knife.  I have an American Angler electric and it's a little too bulky.  I'm going to purchase a Rapala electric because it is a little more comfortable in your hand. 

fishingonly2002

• hhmm I think I just felt a little thump.....
« Reply #25 on: Jul 25, 2006, 03:58 PM »
I have cleaned a whoooole lot of fish in my lifetime, ingested enough mercury from fish that soon enough I will be expanded when its warm outside.

I have used an electic once, and didnt like it, you go way too quickly to catch every bit of meat.

the way I see it, its only useful in large fish where it doesnt matter if you lose a tiny scrap of meet. and completely worthless in panfish.

my little rapala and other knives non electric dont need battery's and can catch every ounce of meat on the fish. and work just as well on both big and little fishies. and I dont have to worry about my pricey electric knife when Im out camping.

Neal
hey dad..... do alligators eat kayaks?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.